CanCon 2018 Any Feedback, Thoghts or Pictures?

Introduce yourself, say hello, or engage in a Tavern Foyer chit chat!
Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

CanCon 2018 Any Feedback, Thoghts or Pictures?

Post by Captain Darling » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Hey Guys!

Anyone go to CanCon 2018, what’d you think? Any pictures?

Cheers!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporiu ... pot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Re: CanCon 2018 Any Feedback, Thoghts or Pictures?

Post by Dropbear » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:31 pm

I was wondering the same thing.

I haven't seen much on 2018 in the various forums I visit.

About the best I have seen is some vendors posts on facebook thanking people for coming.

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Captain Darling » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:05 pm

Yeah I’ve seen some posts on bad conditions at one of ‘the sheds’ (never been but holding an event at what can be described as sheds really?) they mention great traders and a great bring and buy table BUT bugger all on the games!

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Midshipman Easy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:30 pm

As one who was there I can address some of your questions. I am trying to get around to putting up some photos of my games and AARs to go with them but the Sunday night of Cancon I got a call to work for 2 weeks (being a casual high school teacher) starting ASAP for classes that I mostly haven't taught before. Since then between work and kids it has been a mad scramble with time for little else really.

Ok so the main hall is little more than a shed. This is "Epic" the Canberra showground and exhibition centre afterall and the main hall is the biggest space of the lot. Big, open, high, 4 walls and a roof. Day one was certainly unpleasant as there were problems with the aircon (doors open everywhere they could be wouldn't help) and the humidty reached 70%+ so I am told. Despite that I had two fun games and didn't get much of a chance to see stuff. Day 2 was much better internal weather wise, had 3 games and got some sightseeing in. Day 3 was pleasant enough in the building and the "Longstreet" boys all decided on a big bash game, so two 4 on 3 games were organised.

The main hall had most of the miniature stalls; Good Games, Hall of Heroes, Eureka, Combat Company, Knights of Dice and several others that I don't remember. Some good terrain finds in laser cut mdf from Knights of Dice and Miniature Scenery. One thing did strike me as a little funny. On day one Good Games had maybe 20 boxes of ACW Perry plastics. Over that day and day two a lot of people dropped by our Longstreet games and asked about figures and painting them. When I finally got there to shop around midday day 2 there was 1.

The connecting hall between the main hall (Burawong) and the second hall (Coorong) had the card games and a number of small niche stalls (jewellery, bags etc) but I did stop and take a look at Ex Manus figures. Very nice but rpg rather than massed armies.

The Second hall had the board game and cos play retailers. Didn't take a serious look but heaps of stuff. The DBA guys and one or two other games were here with the Board Games Library, 120 tables where you can borrow games from a large library donated by retailers and give them a go. The two small halls above had D&D (poorly attended, maybe 12 people, but with a good sized space to themselves) and the other had ASL and Pathfinder rpg (60+ people with the dozen ASL players in the same sized area as D&D, BOOO Cancon organisers. I didn't play and whilst the rest of my family enjoyed there games it was very noisy and all ended up with headaches).

The final hall was seperate althogether and housed the Warhammer and 40K friendly tournaments as well as the Bring and Buy. Bargins were there if you were early (as always) and had a broad shopping list (or none at all and just grabbed interesting stuff). The Bring and Buy guys did have some software issues on day one but I think they did get resolved.

Overall I and the family had fun. The kids and wife found their all day rpg schedules a bit punishing but then some of that was no doubt the overcrowded space that Cancon stuck them in. So Aircon issues and crowding did dim our weekend but we will be going again.
A captain goes down with his ship. Midshipman Easy Reporting!

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Midshipman Easy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:40 pm

As one who was there I can address some of your questions. I am trying to get around to putting up some photos of my games and AARs to go with them but the Sunday night of Cancon I got a call to work for 2 weeks (being a casual high school teacher) starting ASAP for classes that I mostly haven't taught before. Since then between work and kids it has been a mad scramble with time for little else really.

Ok so the main hall is little more than a shed. This is "Epic" the Canberra showground and exhibition centre afterall and the main hall is the biggest space of the lot. Big, open, high, 4 walls and a roof. Day one was certainly unpleasant as there were problems with the aircon (doors open everywhere they could be wouldn't help) and the humidty reached 70%+ so I am told. Despite that I had two fun games and didn't get much of a chance to see stuff. Day 2 was much better internal weather wise, had 3 games and got some sightseeing in. Day 3 was pleasant enough in the building and the "Longstreet" boys all decided on a big bash game, so two 4 on 3 games were organised.

The main hall had most of the miniature stalls; Good Games, Hall of Heroes, Eureka, Combat Company, Knights of Dice and several others that I don't remember. Some good terrain finds in laser cut mdf from Knights of Dice and Miniature Scenery. One thing did strike me as a little funny. On day one Good Games had maybe 20 boxes of ACW Perry plastics. Over that day and day two a lot of people dropped by our Longstreet games and asked about figures and painting them. When I finally got there to shop around midday day 2 there was 1.

The connecting hall between the main hall (Burawong) and the second hall (Coorong) had the card games and a number of small niche stalls (jewellery, bags etc) but I did stop and take a look at Ex Manus figures. Very nice but rpg rather than massed armies.

The Second hall had the board game and cos play retailers. Didn't take a serious look but heaps of stuff. The DBA guys and one or two other games were here with the Board Games Library, 120 tables where you can borrow games from a large library donated by retailers and give them a go. The two small halls above had D&D (poorly attended, maybe 12 people, but with a good sized space to themselves) and the other had ASL and Pathfinder rpg (60+ people with the dozen ASL players in the same sized area as D&D, BOOO Cancon organisers. I didn't play and whilst the rest of my family enjoyed their games it was very noisy and all ended up with headaches).

The final hall was seperate althogether and housed the Warhammer and 40K friendly tournaments as well as the Bring and Buy. Bargins were there if you were early (as always) and had a broad shopping list (or none at all and just grabbed interesting stuff). The Bring and Buy guys did have some software issues on day one but I think they did get resolved.

Overall I and the family had fun. The kids and wife found their all day rpg schedules a bit punishing but then some of that was no doubt the overcrowded space that Cancon stuck them in. So Aircon issues and crowding did dim our weekend but we will be going again.
A captain goes down with his ship. Midshipman Easy Reporting!

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Captain Darling » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks Easy waiting for your Longstreet game review when you get thetime, I hope you enjoyed the rules. Takes a while to get the nuances ofthe cards. Thanks in the meantime for your reply. There is a lack of game pictures on the net however pity...

Ken1967
a Shandy
a Shandy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 95

Post by Ken1967 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 am

A few comments around Cancon as a Canberra local.

To put in context this year I opted to play two days of the Team Yankee 6mm Jutland Peninsular Campaign, and one day of Napoleon at War 18mm.

We attracted more players to 6mm Team Yankee than the Battlefront version of the game at 15mm (probably much to the angst of the Flames of War folks). The other point that made it attractive was it wasn't a competitive tournament, but a campaign in which strategic actions by generals and outcomes of the battles played the key roles. This was a three-day event with each day broken into two sessions - the first session was a large team based event, as was the final session. All other battles were one-on-one. Very successful, and the 6mm team will be back for Wintercon in July.

There will also be a 6mm tournament in April at Anzac Cup; see http://www.adfwga.com/anzac-cup

To Napoleon at War - for those that have played Man at Wars system (now Cibo's Little Dudes), the V2 rulebook is almost ready for release. I've been in close contact with Simone Volpi and we have an agent in Canberra (Dean Bedlington, Olympian Games) who will be getting the kit, books etc in for Australia. We played two sessions - first was a 1-on-1 game, the second was a large team based game based on Quatre Bras. A lot of fun and my first full games in this system - really enjoyed it, and have started a French army.

Cancon expanded this year into Fitzroy Pavilion - and on day 1 the weather was extreme and the AC didn't manage. Fitzroy was also the location of the second hand stall which expanded in size. This year the second hand stall had a ticket offer where you could purchase a ticket for early entry for $20 - some mixed feelings about that from most I spoke to. Also in Fitzroy was 40K ITC and Friendly (around 150 players), Kings of War and Chain of Command - the tables for CoC were simply stunning!

Other posts I've read describe the other halls well, so won't add to that.

As a TO, I was able to keep track of total registrations - with over 870 registered players, Cancon 2018 was the largest yet.

Some pics including an image of the John Crispin Memorial Award (for those that knew John - you'll recall he was a stalwart of the Canberra gaming scene and loved Cancon. We established this award for 2017 - John left us in Dec 2016 as a result of Cancer).
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (59.53 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (138.52 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (148.75 KiB) Viewed 1149 times