Forum Suggestions

Gossip about upcoming products and all other general miniature discussion.
Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Forum Suggestions

Post by Admin Fella » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:15 am

I have always said from the start this forum is for you guys, driven by you guys. A place where you can browse and see what is happening around your gaming/hobby community. I for one would like to see the forum continue to evolve and develop around what you want.

If you have any ideas and suggestions for evolving the forum, either new forum areas, culling of old ones or anything generally to keep the forum fresh, please post it here. If there is enough interest we can look to updating the forum accordingly.

regards
Mathew

paintpig
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 93

Re: Forum Suggestions

Post by paintpig » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:02 pm

I'll have a stab at it, I see a lot of doubling up and redundancy on the forum.

A number of rooms do seem to be redundant, for instance the Charles Bean Room for battle reports. More often than not battle reports are placed in the public bars, this seems to be sensible as it identifies the period the report references and is often the only activity within the bar rooms. The same could be said for Display Cabinet in theory although I find the Cabinet to be much more worthy of keeping as a stand alone showcase for the best of our members artistic endeavours.

The Furphy Room, Chief of Staff Lounge and Miniature Talk Room are to some extent doubling or trebling up, after going back over the archives many of the topics covered in these rooms appear to overlap, with traffic slow and at times jumbled as to which room it would best be place. Maybe it is time to look at reducing the number from 3 to 1 room for discussion of current War gaming and product related events. Again the public bars are also worthy spaces for some this type of war gaming discussion.

The Directory perhaps could could include Events in the title so people know where to look out for upcoming Shows and Conventions as well as the usual club announcements, ie Mal wright is promoting a large show in Adelaide and the BIG gamers are holding a convention in Brisbane, car boot sales etc.

Maybe a workshop for how to's so those that post natty stuff in the display cabinet or public bars can have a space to demonstrate how they went about the business of their nattiness with walk throughs etc?

Just some ideas for discussion :)

thanks for reading
Dave W

Paul
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Post by Paul » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:47 am

A links..ie resources list..for figs etc, for each scale maybe.
RARO SENEX MUTAT SENTENTIAM

Paul's Bods

Federation of Bodstonia

abdul666lw
a Shandy
a Shandy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by abdul666lw » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:38 am

Multiplication of boards multiplies the risk to missing relevant information, and for a post to remain unknown of potentially interested readers. So much the more as forums (unlike for instance The Miniature Page) don't allow cross-posting; also I'm afraid the 'hierarchy' of directories / subdirectories of a forum is strictly hierarchical, that is, a board cannot be embedded in several subdirectories (unlike TMP where e?g. 'Pirates' appears under both Renaissance and 18th C., 'VSF' under 19th C. and Science Fiction, &c.)?
Jean-Louis
aka Louys de Monte-Cristo
http://mcristobylacew-abdul666.blogspot.com/

craigjwoodfield

Post by craigjwoodfield » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:53 am

Ban Biggles?

Cheers

CW

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:04 pm

And there I was coming around to the idea you weren't a bit of a ..

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:27 pm

Cardinal Biggles wrote:And there I was coming around to the idea you weren't a bit of a....
Chill man, chill. All said in good humour, I am sure...
No Longer The Maharajah of Golconda
But still THE Greatwhitezulu
The Liberator, The Sitting Thunder
The Bull Elephant, Breaker of Tyrants
The Cunning Leopard, Father of the Sky
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:51 pm

greatwhitezulu wrote:
Cardinal Biggles wrote:And there I was coming around to the idea you weren't a bit of a prick..
Chill man, chill. All said in good humour, I am sure...
for you perhaps..

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Good suggestions PP.

The Charles Bean Room issue has come up. It was always intended that reports go in there, but i understand posting in the period room as well. I have no issue with either.

I would keep the CB Room though as some may not always visit each period room and i would suggest most would the general area for Battle Reports which allows for greater coverage? The above also applies to the Display Cabinet.

The Furphy and Miniature Talk could be merged that is for sure. Would all agree? I would look to put it all under the Furphy Room in line with our Australian theme?

Chief of Staff i agree with and it was not used much at all, but has had a few topics lately. Any further thoughts?

regards
Mathew

Sparker

Post by Sparker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Well to come up with something positive, I really like that 'View active topics' works properly, it doesn't on many forums and thats can be a real pita.

Also RCT seems to be better behaved than most forums I frequent - why I don't know, but there it is...so don't change too much! :D

paintpig
The Slab
The Slab

Post by paintpig » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:44 pm

Your right there Sparker, active topics can be pain on some forums. As for better behaved, well it is usually a matter of ignoring the blowhards and concentrating on the OP. Not really the Rum Corpse Tavern some like to describe it as :wink:

I would like to see you keep us updated on your Maurice project if that is possible ol'boy, it sounds really interesting and your reputation re commitment to projects is enviable. :)
regards
Dave

The fig v fig blog: from bayonets to breechloaders
The iNation blog: the hesse-kassoulet kronicles

Sparker

Post by Sparker » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks Dave, very kind!

Yes the Maurice project is something of a dilemma for me. Whilst I am by default a 28mm man, I really cannot justify another basement full of lead! Also I think the SYW does lend it self to spectacularly large, long battles, ideally suited to the 5' by 15' table configuration which I find most comfortable.

So I'm thinking 15/18mm at the absolute max...I suppose I ought to do up sample units of 6mil, 10mil 12mil and 15 mil on the respective Maurice square bases and take it from there...I notice that Peter Pig are expanding their AWI figs to march attack poses, and I do like the piggie scultps....

Off course the biggest factor will be the other guys at the Uni club - it sounds to me like they are thinking 28mm, so whether or not I can persuade them to downsize and upscale, or it is I who gets persuaded, we shall see!

Either way, our first game is Thursday the 30th, so I'll let you know how it goes...

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 am

Sparker wrote: the Uni club ...
Still going! I was a member there from 84 to....well who knows, I may still well be. :D

Let me clarify - only an associate member since I was a Sydney Uni boy. All good gaming every saturday night and some Thursdays in the Gong - Followed by trips to the Illawarra and North Gong :lol:
No Longer The Maharajah of Golconda
But still THE Greatwhitezulu
The Liberator, The Sitting Thunder
The Bull Elephant, Breaker of Tyrants
The Cunning Leopard, Father of the Sky
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Sparker

Post by Sparker » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Oh Yes they still talk about you Dave - in hushed tones and without ever actually invoking your name - thats why I was avoiding the place! :wink:

Oh and they've rebuilt the bar since you trashed it just because they ran out of Bollinger......

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Willow and I are discussing 10mm WSS for Maurice if there is a thread around

paintpig
The Slab
The Slab

Post by paintpig » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:18 pm

Admin Fella wrote:Good suggestions PP.

The Charles Bean Room issue has come up. It was always intended that reports go in there, but i understand posting in the period room as well. I have no issue with either.

I would keep the CB Room though as some may not always visit each period room and i would suggest most would the general area for Battle Reports which allows for greater coverage? The above also applies to the Display Cabinet.
Is there a way that cross posting can be performed between the bar and the CB room? Or alternatively as JL pointed out embed the CB room in within the bars (I suppose phpBB are the geeks to ask in this regard) :?

Admin Fella wrote:The Furphy and Miniature Talk could be merged that is for sure. Would all agree? I would look to put it all under the Furphy Room in line with our Australian theme?

Chief of Staff i agree with and it was not used much at all, but has had a few topics lately. Any further thoughts?

regards
Mathew
Obviously 'm in favour of merging furphy and mini talk, they are the same thing after all :roll: :)

I posted in the chief of staff room cause room because I felt sorry for it! :lol:
Maybe it could become a workshop?
regards
Dave

The fig v fig blog: from bayonets to breechloaders
The iNation blog: the hesse-kassoulet kronicles

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:00 am

Any final objections/suggestions for merging the Furphy and Miniature Talk rooms??

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Admin Fella wrote:Any final objections/suggestions for merging the Furphy and Miniature Talk rooms??
I take it no, so pending anything last minute I will do it this weekend.

regards
Mathew

Paul
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Post by Paul » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Some more smileys? There could be some added that are specific to the RCT perhaps..(see, a scratching my head smiley is missing :D )
RARO SENEX MUTAT SENTENTIAM

Paul's Bods

Federation of Bodstonia