Peter Laing Miniatures

Gossip about upcoming products and all other general miniature discussion.
Jbird
a Shandy
a Shandy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 93

Peter Laing Miniatures

Postby Jbird » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:20 am

I have started looking for Peter Laing Miniatures. I have managed to track down a couple of odd lots. What started me looking was when I saw in an old Miniature Wargames a list of P.L. Victorian Parade figures. To me it sounded like they would be perfect for a "Little Wars" type table top wargame. I managed to get about 40 Colonial war figures, including a Crimean War British Grenadier. I was wondering if anyone has any photos of Peter Laing Victorian Parade or Crimean War figures?

IanDury
A Pony
A Pony
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 98

Re: Peter Laing Miniatures

Postby IanDury » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:32 am

I have quite a few of them - many still unpainted, though I have done some as part of my Prussian Armies - all of which are Laings.
they are very difficult to get hold of now, moulds seem to have gone missing (see the Peter Laing thread on the Miniatures page):
http://theminiaturespage.com
You can sometimes get them on e-Bay, but not often. If you do find any, let me know as I am still looking!!
I will get some photos done of my figures over the next few weeks. Just re-based two battalions of Prussian Guards (using the "goose-stepping" figures), so will do them first.
Ian M Dury
ian dot dury at hotmail dot co dot uk

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:47 am

Ive still got my 15mm Roman army which at the age of 16 [i think] I bought from Lindfield Wargames club [they had a portable shop there and a room set aside for selling 2nd hand models of which as a teen I used to indulge in buying and selling]

I am 52 now so that was a long time ago...they were little blobs of metal but to us in Australia possibly were the first 15mm offered or at least I think so,

The detail is minimal, and the standards easily broke, but painted up they look quite good and have a special part in wargaming history...especially if they were the first 15mm in Australia.

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:14 am

they are some of the most appalling figures ever created..

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:33 am

Yep Cardy, i am afraid I must agree....my like for them is purely sentimental but i have always called them little blobs of metal...

I couldnt think of worse true....

but man what memories, around xmas time going to the Lindfield club via train from Wentworthville, playing at Lindfield and buying these as a 16 year old and catching train back to my grandparents place at Turramurra and walking miles from that station to their place clutching this little box of blob soldiers,

Upon getting to my grandparents xmas party opening this little army and examining them hoping to find one little face looking back at me...but alas not one roman had a face, just a faceless army marching to the tune of "hey we are the first 15mm in Australia" [well at least I think so at that stage...well in sydney perhaps????

memories

IanDury
A Pony
A Pony

Postby IanDury » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:07 am

My memories are similar - which gives away my age as well!
Peter actually invented 15 mm scale - though his first figures were intended as 12mm - which many of his early 17th century figures actually were, and the change to 15mm was almost accidental.
Yes, they were incredibly basic - BUT, they were actually in proportion for the scale (ever tried to scale up many modern 28mm figures? - they would make Arnold Schwarznegger look like a 7-stone weakling!) - and, if "properly" painted - add the detail in the painting, shade / black line them (don't rely on washes), then in mass they come up okay. Some ranges are a lot better than others, especially Peter's later ones like the Victorian Parade range - and his horses were never good, but there are a lot of people out there still looking for them. I just recently missed out on a quite small, average painted WW1 French/Belgian army that went for over £50 on e-Bay.
As for being the worst figures ever - whoever thinks that, clearly doesn't remember the early Mikes Models medievals and colonials. I still have my Flodden era Scots front rank pikemen - that I can best describe as power-armoured dwarves on steroids!
Ian

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:42 am

Thanks Ian interesting info, especially confirming what I had believed about them being first 15mm made.

I always used to tell people I believe I bought from the very first shipment of 15mm that came into the country...[if not one of the first]

In those early days the Lindfield club or members within were very active on the selling side, it was very exiting to see new lots of figures, most I could never afford with my limited pocket money. Infact I believe those involved went on to have their own business outside of the club. Very exiting times

I too collect vintage figures , probably because i couldnt afford them when I was young.

Interesting to have you come along into this forum...I imagine you were googling Peter Laing Miniatures and found this thread.

I'm thinking our first poster may be missing in action as it was his first post [perhaps not recieving notification. but would like to hear from him again too

I love learning more about vintage figures..

IanDury
A Pony
A Pony

Postby IanDury » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:58 am

Somewhere I still have one of the early copies of Military Modelling with Peter's first advert in. I'll dig it out and scan it.
As regards vintage figures - my very first were a box of the old Airfix "Infantry Combat Group" - which I still have, though not the box, sadly, bought as a birthday present by my grandmother in (I think) about 1967 or 68. They were still in the original style box with the figure listing on the back.
After progressing through all the Airfix range, I got on to metal figures in about 74, with some Hinchcliffe ECW, rapidly followed by a few Les Higgins 20mm Marlburian. Thankfully, unlike many, I kept all of my old figures, so its easy to remember all of the "vintage" ones!
And yes, spot on with how I found the forum - much as I would love to come across and join a club game, couldn't really justify the flight cost! If anyone on this forum ever comes over this way though, let me know. I am always on the Continental Wars Society stand at Salute.
All the best
Ian

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:14 am

Hi Ian

you have got me reading about Peter Laing thru google

minutes ago found lots of TMP discussion about the molds.

I have been collecting Painted Hinchcliffe and other ranges I know nothing about...if they look skinny and old style i buy them

Infact I have decided to sell off many of my minifigs purely because minifigs although vintage were very common here so are easy enough to find , hence if easy to find its too easy to collect...fortunately there are still enough people with Minifigs armies needing to flesh them out that they will sell.

Unfortunately I am not very knowledgeable on vintage figure ranges although I have read a lot of internet sites on them...in those early years I was very hard pressed for money so never owned anything but airfix plastics and some minfigs ancients..

i find collecting exiting...its the hunt... I stopped all my other collecting to concentrate on purely wargaming collecting.
i

IanDury
A Pony
A Pony

Postby IanDury » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:36 am

Guess I was lucky to be able to buy some of those old figures. I have some of those skinny Hinchcliffe figures (Napoleonic and Vikings), plus one of the early Hinchcliffe catalogues and their Wargaming "manual" (I think that was the title from memory). Happy to scan and send it across if you are interested.
As regards vintage figures in general, have a look at these links:

http://www.intonet.co.uk/~rblack/
http://oldsoldiersneverdietheyjusttrade ... gures.html

Both have the Les Higgins figures I mentioned, now available again, I believe.

For Laing figures, you may have found these already
http://wargamingmiscellany.blogspot.com ... gures.html
http://awargamingodyssey.blogspot.com/2 ... inues.html

Drop me a line if you want me to scan that catalogue/manual
ian.dury@hotmail.co.uk
Regards
Ian

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:43 am

thanks Ian

Of believe I have a hinchcliffe catalogue somewhere...but havent heard of the manual

but will contact you thru your email if I need that.
I will say hello with an email to you anyway.

cheers Russell

Tarty
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Postby Tarty » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Peter Laing.......what a blast ! Love em..... they all look like sky divers.....classic stuff.
Language is a virus from outer space.

Jbird
a Shandy
a Shandy

Postby Jbird » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:29 am

I never knew that they had Prussians goose stepping. I hope you will post some photos. I have managed to buy some lots since my first posting. I'm a terrible painter so Peter Laing detailing is perfect for me.
I received a large lot of Peter Laings, kindly given to me by someone from another forum. If anyone is interested, I have some Anicent Greeks and Assyrians; I would send some samples and you can check them out. John

IanDury
A Pony
A Pony

Postby IanDury » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:43 am

I'll take the pictures as soon as I have finished painting the bases - I am re-basing and re-furbishing most of my old figures, gradually.
As I said, my personal interest is 19th Century - but I have used figures from a lot of Laing ranges for that (some of Peter's ancient figures painted up really well as Kikuyu bowmen for East African colonial!
If anyone hears of any more going, please let me know.
Regards
Ian M Dury

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:02 am

I bought some at Lindfield more than 30 years ago,, and a sorrier day I cannot rememeber..iIhad them for years and years and tried to sell them give them away , the howls of dreisive laughter that greered these attempts saw them in the bin during one of my moves in the 90s they may have been the first but they were also the worst

Jbird
a Shandy
a Shandy

Postby Jbird » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:14 am

I guess with Peter Laing it's a case of "One mans trash is another mans treasure". Since I started looking and buying in the last year, I have been up against a couple of other collectors and usually lose out on the bidding. Like I said, II just love the simplity of the figures. They remind me of early Britains except that they are small enough to fit on my small wargame area

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:32 pm

Damn missing all the replies..for some reason I am not receiving my notifications and yet I've gone into "User Control Panel" many times to check that subscriptions are activated and they are [and my email is correct]..this is also happening on the other Auissie wargames sites...anyone else having troubles

Oh well...it seems Peter Laing is starting to get some interest again..
If there are bidding wars on his stuff maybe I shoukld post up my Romans on bay...but can i part with them????????
or should i try to build a collection starting with mine.????????

Jbird
a Shandy
a Shandy

Postby Jbird » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:33 am

Evadestruction,
If you decide to build up your collection and want some Greeks, let me know and I'll send you some.

IanDury
A Pony
A Pony

Postby IanDury » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:17 am

First attempt at loading pictures of some of my Laing figures, hope this works!
Apologies on the picture quality - I have had to size them down to upload.
First, some Prussian line, then those goosestepping Prussian Guards and lastly the Bavarians.
I'll load more later (I can only attach 3 pictures at a time)
Hope these bring back some (good!) memories

Ian
Attachments
DSCN2430a.jpg
Prussians
DSCN2430a.jpg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCN2428a.JPG
Prussian Guard
DSCN2428a.JPG (52.54 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCN2429a.jpg
Bavarians
DSCN2429a.jpg (52.31 KiB) Viewed 9816 times

IanDury
A Pony
A Pony

Postby IanDury » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:21 am

And some more.
Danish Lifeguards from 1864 (using the French Imperial Guard figures), French line (without their command) and a few French Imperial Guard
Attachments
DSCN2433a.jpg
Imperial Guard
DSCN2433a.jpg (64.18 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCN2432a.jpg
French
DSCN2432a.jpg (43.6 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCN2431a.jpg
Danish Lifeguards 1864
DSCN2431a.jpg (47.5 KiB) Viewed 9816 times

IanDury
A Pony
A Pony

Postby IanDury » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:25 am

And last for tonight, some British Colonials
Attachments
DSCN2437a.jpg
Heliograph team
DSCN2437a.jpg (65.62 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCN2436a.jpg
Highlanders
DSCN2436a.jpg (44.08 KiB) Viewed 9816 times
DSCN2435a.jpg
Baluchis in full dress
DSCN2435a.jpg (46.68 KiB) Viewed 9816 times

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi ian

great stuff...its amazing how these miniatures are transformed by a paintjob

they have their place in the history of minatures, and once painted are another good army to fight with no matter whether their are likers or dislikers...

on seeing yours I am going to keep mine being my very first 15mm I ever painted...at the time eventually I added a few strip minifigs for auxilories for the romans, and some minifigs cav [I never saw any other peter laing figures for sale after that first time at Linfield wargames club....but then again i was just a kid, so buying metal figures in those days was not a common thing at 16 for me [or a lot of other teens, airfix our staple diet] and my feeble pocket money...around i guess 1975???......

Jbird that is a very kind offer....unfortunately i dont have any other peter laing figures to help you out with.

Jbird
a Shandy
a Shandy

Postby Jbird » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:34 am

Ian, Thank you for the great shots. I really love the goose stepping Prussians! Now there's another line of figures I want.

Evadestruction, if you want some of the Greeks or Assyrians just let me know and I'll send some your way. Someone gave me them last year so I don't mind giving some of them away at no cost.

IanDury
A Pony
A Pony

Postby IanDury » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:04 am

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen :D, as I get more re-based, I will take some more pictures. I am doing up my Prussian cavalry at the moment (von Bredow's brigade of Mars la Tour fame), so they should be next.
I should have said the standard bearers are conversions, Prussians and Bavarains from the standard infantry figure with the rifle cut away and replaced with steel wire. Prussian Guard standard is similar, but from the Drum Major figure with the standard replacing his baton. Bavarian drummer (and my Prussian line drummers, not shown here, is another conversion from the infantryman. The drum is cut out of aluminium tube filled with miliput, drumsticks from more steel wire. All the flags are paper - the Guard one is hand painted (I was a LOT younger when I did that!), the others are colour prints from the excellent Warflag site. They are strictly too big for 15s (scaled for 25s) - but are that way to be consistent with the original flags (Revo, I think) that I bought many years ago.
Regards
Ian

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:51 am

Ian and Jbird

I will post pictures of my Republican Romans in the future, but presently we are having huge renovations and literally everything in the games room is now a storage room, when I find them I'll post them..

Ian I know is overseas but Jbird are you in Australia or overseas

cheers Russell

Return to “The Furphy Room”