The Game at The cumberland Association ,meeting 13/4/08

Discussion Room for BATTLE REPORTS .
Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

The Game at The cumberland Association ,meeting 13/4/08

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:16 pm

Today we played the first Battle of Torgau. The historical battle occurred in September,1759 and saw a Reichsarmee detachment of 12,200 men attacked by a far more aggressive Prussian force of 5,000 men on the outskirts of Torgau in Saxony. A more detailed description of the original battle is set out in the Club Lounge to which you may wish to refer for background.
Basically, the Reichsarmee was deployed with 13 battalions in two lines across a broad plateau with a cavalry reserve and flankguards. The right flank guard was the stronger and was also deployed behind the security of a watercourse, the Rohrgraben.
The Prussians attacked in a single line of eight battalions advancing in oblique order with strong cavalry detachments on either flank.
First contact was on the Reichsarmee far left when the flankguard was attacked and overthrown by the Prussian cavalry supported by rifle fire from Captn Ewalds Jaeger co. of the Wunsch Freikorps.These troops were the remnants of units thrown off the Rats Weinberg in a preliminary operation and they were already shaken so their lack of enthusiasm came as no surprise.
The Reichsarmee commander, St Andre (played by yours truly) instructed the cavalry reserve to move to the left flank but local rules simulating the difficulties of terrain and poor Reichsarmee command & control meant their progress was as slow as a wet week.
In the meantime the Prussian spearhead smashed into the nervous Rhinelanders of the Mainz Regt (4 battalions).A firefight developed with gaps quickly appearing in both forces engaged.However, the Reichsarmee left flank commander,"No Flint' Grey,boldly sent regts of Imperial Horse through the gaps between the Mainz battalions to attack the heavily engaged Prussians.The blow fell on Regt Hesse-Kassel. The first battalion stood and repulsed the charging dragoons but the second battalion which had suffered far more in the firefight, broke and was closely pursued.
The Reichsarmee had already performed far more effectively than expected (particularly by its own commanders) and for a brief moment the Prussian plan of attack appeared to be under threat.However, the five Prussian squadrons coming in on the Reichsarmee left saved the situation for Wunsch (played by Akula).The two battalions of the Saxon Duchies forming the left of the second line came under increasing pressure and were devastated by accurate fire from Ewald`s marksmen.
Wolffersdorf (played by Phantom Agent) brought the left of the Prussian line into action, battalion by battalion.Unfortunately for St Andre, the Reichsarmee right flank guard which consisted of the army`s cuirassier regts as well as grenadiers and Pandours suffered from leaden feet. Their commander, Chris, was continually thwarted by poor dice rolling for initative to the extent that no forward movement was possible. His supporting artillery was also unable to score any hits on the Prussians until the closing stages of the battle when it was a case of too little too late.
A vicious struggle developed all along the front of the plateau. The Prussians had the quality and the Reichsarmee had the numbers.What swung it in the Prussian favour was the eventual collapse of the Reichsarmee left flank in the face of three aggressive detachments of enemy cavalry.
Without the Cuirassiers of the right flank guard, St Andre could not restore the balance.The town to the rear was garrisoned by two battalions to act as rearguard and the game ended with Prussian cavalry detachments prowling across the top of the plateau with Reichsarmee battalions trying to get out of the way.
Losses were very heavy on both sides, the Prussians having three unshaken battalions only at the conclusion of the game and the Reichsarmee perhaps 6 but not all well placed to be useful.
As far as can be best worked out, The Prussians had 75 figures removed as casualties from 162, and the Reichsarmee lost 98 out of 250 with lots more running away.
Overall, a fun and finely balanced game with the Prussians emerging as victors as they did historically but a lot more bloodied.
A battalion of the Mainz Regt nevously awaiting attack (played by Saxon Regt Lubomirsky)
Austrian and Imperial cuirassiers of the right flank guard steadfastly refusing to move.
Infantry of the Saxon Duchies holding the left flank
Prussian Dragoon Regt 7
Panorama of the field prior to the Prussian advance coming to grips
Chris tries to inspire his cuirassiers: 'move damn you, move!"

No- I don`t understand this figure,either. Ask Eureka Miniatures!
Wunsch talks to his aide seconded from the Garde du Corps
St Andre orders lunch
'Play something cheerful !'
Last edited by Pz. Ferdinand on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Nice!

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:14 pm

yes my vote for most interesting pic is the pig molesting one

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:21 pm

So I was right - I thught that was what it was but didn't want to say anything just in case

Captn Ewald

Reichs Armee

Post by Captn Ewald » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:02 am

A wonderful looking game...I trust my company survived to fight another day?

Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:42 am

Yes, despite "No Flint" Grey`s best efforts, I don`t think they suffered any losses.

Captn Ewald

Pigs

Post by Captn Ewald » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:50 am

I am sure it was a consenting pig...like where did you get that model Prinz???

Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:54 am

It came in a job lot of 4 packs ,each of 4 Eureka 18th C civilians. The individual figure is not something I specifically sought out and frankly, I don`t understand it at all.

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:23 pm

Good report!