Longstreet Cancon 2018; Battle 2: St Louis.

Discussion Room for BATTLE REPORTS .
Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Longstreet Cancon 2018; Battle 2: St Louis.

Post by Midshipman Easy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:22 pm

So despite my loss, the Confederacy won 7 of the 10 battles and so could choose to make 7 attacks on the campaign map, the Union could only make 3. With a slightly reduced army I was sent to attack St Louis and free it from Northern domination.

My new opponent, Liam, was as new to the rules as I was and we decided to give one of the senarios from the book a run. Rolling the dice we came up with the "Hilltop" scenario. This would have Liam defending two hill tops on each of which was an objective that I would have to capture. As I was the attacker my army would be "Unwavering" meaning that I could only roll to win, when you get close to the enemy army's break point you roll a dice and add that to their loses to see if the army runs, if I got a kill.

Liam deployed first and set his two batteries of artillery on the hills, one on each, with infantry between, to his far right (out of shot behind fences) and one unit in reserve with his cavalry guarding the left flank. I deployed so as to concentrate on Liam's left and stay well away from the farms (and fences) on my left.

I went forward boldly thoguh the troops on my right were a little slow to get going. The Tiger Zouaves tried to work past the artillery and charged the infantry holding the centre with "Rebel Yell" and swept onwards.

On the right I went forward personally to encourage my cavalry to whip them Yankees. The guns and troops on the right of shot are from the neighbouring game.

But my boys just didn't have their hearts in it. Lt General Carnot was wounded which reduced my card hand to 5 cards not the normal 6 per turn.

On my far left things were looking positive as well with my seasoned veterans heavily outnumbering the opposing blue coats.

With my cavalry licking its wounds the 1st Louisanna Combined Volunteers advanced on the Union horsemen and began shooting them.

The Tigers try to manuver to charge the guns but "Confusion" in the orders (your opponent makes your move for one unit for you) left them moving toward to killing zone of the guns. This might not have been so bad except that as I began my move Liam played "They Couldn't Hit an ..." which forces the moving player (me in this case) to roll a dice and remove that many cards from their hand. As you use the cards to start actions, give bonuses/minuses to combats and reduce casualties. Having 5 cards in my hand I rolled ..... 5! Over the weekend this would happen to me 3 times. So the Tigers are just outside the fire arc of the guns with enemy infantry to their rear.

Liam saw his oppotunity and took it, playing "Cold Steel" to give his guys extra dice in the melee. Being caught "Vulernable", meaning that my guys only hit on a 6 with Liam's "Eager Recruits" hitting on 3's .....

Yes the Yankees have run out of shot. Was the absolute highlight of my weekend.

On the left my boys were getting the worse of the firefight, since the "Couldn't hit ..." had robbed them of the chance to charge the Union line. Also the artillery was about to turn to canister them from the flank. However having shot down some cavalry on my right the Union army had now reached its break point leaving me in control of the field.

After the battle I was able to bring the Tigers and Volunteers back up to strength and fill out my now veteran 4th North Carolina. And extra veteran unit was transfer to my command. There were some losses to desertion/disease but the army was now stronger.

Liam and I had a fun game with lots of ups and down that I having fully described here. I took some 13 Epic points and I think Liam picked up 11. The Tigers have to get a battle honour for this one.
A captain goes down with his ship. Midshipman Easy Reporting!

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Re: Longstreet Cancon 2018; Battle 2: St Louis.

Post by Captain Darling » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:38 am

Oh yeah nice pictures of good figures what more do you need!
Thanks!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporiu ... pot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Re: Longstreet Cancon 2018; Battle 2: St Louis.

Post by Midshipman Easy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:22 am

Wait until we get to the final battles. :wink: :D
A captain goes down with his ship. Midshipman Easy Reporting!