Salamanca

Discussion Room for BATTLE REPORTS .
Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Salamanca

Post by Midshipman Easy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:09 pm

The Penrith Wargames Society put on a game based on the battle of Salamanca of 1812 The game was to represent the attack of the 3rd and 5th Anglo-Portugese divisions on the Greater Arapiles. We used the "Rank and File" rules. I had command of the 5th.

My plan was to use mostly Allied troops to attack the centre and keep it occupied, perhaps drawing other French troops in. On my left the British infantry were in depth with the intention of outflanking the ridge, if the cavalry were seen off, or to deal with French horsemen if needed. Portugese and Spanish light troops would screen the advance with the guns engaging whatever they could.

Initial deployment with the French on the left, 5th Div are the Allies closest to the photographer.

The unmanly French mostly hid behind the crest of the hill with only their artillery visible. I led 5th division boldly forward hoping the 3rd would follow (they did but slowly).

Out on my extreme left a cavalry clash developed. The numbers were about even (2 regts of 4 stands on each side) but the French were veterans as opposed to the regular troops of the Portugese and Spanish dragoons. The French pushed back the Portugese slowly but the Spanish horse butchered the French and commenced a rampage that would destroy another French dragoon regtiment and drive both from the field finally heading off, with the brigade general I might add, to loot the baggage.
The Allied horse.
The French horse.
The marauding Spanish killing their second regiment.

I concentrated my artillery on the nearest French guns which were those in the centre of their line, shooting at French infantry as they presented themselves on the ridgeline. Two batteries were eventually destroyed. As my infantry approached the foot of the ridge, the French commander got nervous and ordered a small counter attack which was shot to pieces by light infantry and massed musketry.
The counter attacks begins.
Gains momentum.
Faulters.
And is driven back.

To ensure that the French attack is held, the remaining regiment of Portugese cavalry charges some French Grenadiers moving over the hill to reinforce the premature French attack. The French form square and see the cavalry off.

The remaining French cavalry has more melees with their original opponents but are forced to rally which brings them to the attention of a regiment of Britsh line. They run.

The attack from 3rd division begins to develop by they are held up by some French light infantry in some woods. As the forward progress stalls, The French brigade commander attacks, disrupting all Allied movement in that sector. Eventually the French attack is held.
Dont go down to the woods today...
A new French attack.
The limit of advance.

By this time the majority of the French guns have been silenced. Their centre is holding but with difficulty and their left has stalled. The French right is about to collapse as the Allies form up to attack from the bottom of the ridge across the front and on the right flank of the position.

With time for the game running out, and luck for the French have left the building, the game was conceded to the Allies.

Many thanks the Rick and Lewis (the French) and Michael (3rd division). All the figures belonged to Rick.
A captain goes down with his ship. Midshipman Easy Reporting!

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Re: Salamanca

Post by Captain Darling » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:07 pm

Hey Midshipman!

Great figures and the game looked excellent!

Rank & File is a good choice of rule set.

Thanks for posting...

Cheers!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporiu ... pot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Re: Salamanca

Post by Admin Fella » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:46 pm