Discussion Room for BATTLE REPORTS .
zod56
A Middy
A Middy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

28mm Rank & File horse and Musket game.

Postby zod56 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi All,
The first Battle report by the PWS in a while. We normally have been playing ECW (English Civil War) but have branched off a little into the horse & Musket periods. We decided to try out the Rank & File horse and musket rules by Crusader publishing. We have found that the rules are easy to learn, and quick to play with a decision in a few hours.

The game was set before 1792, the combat was between a Russian/British army and a Austrian Army. Both armies fielded 12 line Battalions of 4 bases each (2 of which were Veteran who were also also shock troops, with the rest regular), 2 light infantry battalions of 5 bases and 3 cavalry units of 4 bases each, 2 units were shock troops. Bot sides had 2 heavy gun models and 2 medium gun models.

The Russians and their English allies were given the first movement and quickly gained the cross roads and other roads.

Russian Foot.jpg
Russian Foot.jpg (30.28 KiB) Viewed 2246 times

The Austrians then launched several attacks along their left flank and at the cross roads. Even though both sides had cover at the roads, both inflicted heavy losses on each other (4 x 6's in shooting does help!)

Austrains Attack 2.jpg
Austrains Attack 2.jpg (65.66 KiB) Viewed 2246 times

The game went for 8 turns, and the Austrians had recovered the cross road, but their victorious units were cut to bits by Russian artillery and muskets! In the end, we decided to use the rules "Army Moral" which is when an army loses so many stands it reaches its "Break Point" As each force had 17 units (Artillery as single stands were not counted) the first side who reached 17 stands loss (Excluding artillery) had reached it break point and all its units became unsteady (A death sentence under the rules (:). At the end of turn 8 the Austrians had suffered 18 stand casualties and the Anglo/Russians 12, a close victory to the Anglo/Russians!!

Sunglass from Hell!.jpg
Sunglass from Hell!.jpg (125 KiB) Viewed 2246 times

And we could not forget Russell's Sunglasses (:

A good game .

R

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Re: 28mm Rank & File horse and Musket game.

Postby evadestruction » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi All

Apart from club meetings we also have mid week games at various members homes but lately focussing at my house as i am exactly midway between everyones house and I have a 12'x6' table, although its been a while since using it due to this being my Vintage Figures/NOS wargame business and often i have product all over the table. I will be offering a more regular gaming place as its certainly easier for some members.

After buying these Austrians 5 yearsago from a respected painter on this forum [at another forum members 1st Boot Sale] about 5 years ago I had never used these till the first game last week against Ricks 20mm Nap Army [due to gaming outside of home with others napoleonics based differently] but this week Rick wanted to use his 28mm and appropriately based army. Although were were out of period it presented no problem with these rules. I bought these rules 5 years ago and never tried them awaiting to finish basing my Colonial [sudan] army for it..Its almost done but I picked up another army to add to it so basing for that hasnt started yet but I was busting to try em out so suggested we jump in with what we had.

Initially 4 of us sat across the table with a 5th turn up a little later so i handed over my Austrian command to him and took over umpiring which I quite enjoy when my room is in use..To me the game is the look and feel of the terrain/figures than the gaming [i do like the gaming but the look/feel is more important], i am happy to run the game when my stuff is used.

Unfortunately Rick took ill halfway thru the arvo cutting the game short so a final outcome was not really reached though Rick applied the Rules Army Morale [break point] as a decision maker that was an ok idea except I have just quickly reread it and it doesnt work quite in this way..its actually applied to the game each turn in a way to affect a whole armies morale.

I found one anomoly that led me to check this out in that any troops reduced to an unusable level can be removed or left on the table..Only problem with that is if you remove them they add to your losses for the Army breakpoint..if you leave them on they cannot attack [some say they get in the way]..we must investigate further as obviously if using this way to determine a winner or simply for the Armies morale that can affect it each move [edit: appears that they shouldnt be included in army breakpoint as i suggested on day].. you would never remove a 50% damaged unit...simply leaving it on to keep your break point up or If you remove it dont put it in the dead pile. Basically the Army Morale is to reduce the armies morale during play [can be applied each move]..not the deciding factor [although Ricks suggestion seemed possible at the time [ as i am used to similar in Amarti] and i hadnt got into that chapter before the game]

As I became umpire around lunchtime my call is although the Austrians did take the crossroads which was the actual focus of this game...I would say Ricks troops had a good handle on the corn fields surrounding the cross roads...and the game still had a few more hours to go [and we were still learning the rules] so I declare a draw for those 4 players...

we are learning as we go...it wouldnt be hard to use the break point system as a determiner though it doesnt state that in the game as far as I can tell, it would be easay to work it similar to Amarti in a way..these rules are sprouted as club rules great for multiplayer games and the book offers no points value but their website does offer that as a download.

A very enjoyable game..I for one am happy to use these for club games and I know Rick is impressed so far...so at moment these seem suitable..and the basing can be used for Black Powder and other modern rules.

PS: I am experimenting with 8cm wide roads that allows an Inf attack column [2standswide] to march down it..if you look at real roads 4 figures can easily march down one [I go by scale look not by frontages..Dont care if frontage wise doesnt gell if it looks real its model real] ie: my place my terrain if it looks good the game is nice.. The look is everything hee hee.

I am making new 8cm wide rubber roads [one of which is on one road] I allow 4 infantry figs ie 2 bases 40mm wide but only one Cavatry base which is 50mm wide..[we forgot this in one instance so allowed it for that move but when melee came reverted it too a single column charge which is not allowed in the rules but a concession for the easy mistaken belief that 2 cav could fit a road as they were still on to small a base 40mm wide instead of 50mm] its easy to make mistakes when fudging bases between basing conventions in these early games] so if you see 2 base wide cavalry on roads they were simply a mistake.

Only problem today was I had made only one test road & that the 8cm left for roads did open up as the day went on [hence it waseasy to think cav could fir in two bases width] The roads looking much wider than when brown especially as the fence bases had overhang, once the actual roads are finished the 8cm will look correct for the attack column..as the grass roads dont do the same as brown roads.

P1050088.JPG
P1050088.JPG (147 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
P1050089.JPG
P1050089.JPG (148 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
[attachment=0]P1050090.JPG[/attachment
Attachments
P1050090.JPG
P1050090.JPG (153.5 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
Last edited by evadestruction on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:57 pm

P1050091.JPG
P1050091.JPG (149 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
P1050092.JPG
P1050092.JPG (148.5 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
Attachments
P1050093.JPG
P1050093.JPG (147.5 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:00 pm

P1050094.JPG
P1050094.JPG (152 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
P1050095.JPG
P1050095.JPG (151 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
P1050096.JPG
P1050096.JPG (150.5 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:01 pm

P1050097.JPG
P1050097.JPG (149 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
P1050098.JPG
P1050098.JPG (148 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
P1050099.JPG
P1050099.JPG (152 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:04 pm

P1050100.JPG
P1050100.JPG (156.5 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
P1050101.JPG
P1050101.JPG (150.5 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
P1050102.JPG
P1050102.JPG (148 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:04 pm

P1050103.JPG
P1050103.JPG (152 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Postby Captain Darling » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:54 am

Hi,

Great looking game. Very nice figures!

Good to see you liked the rules I just picked up a set last week!

I am interested in using Rank & File rules for corps/army level Napoleonic games, what scale did you use for your arimes in this action as in 1 to 20 1 to 50 etc? I see in the rule book you can go up to 1 to 200 which suits my requirement.

Cheers!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi Darling

yes the Austrian figs on 40 x 40 bases were figs i bought off the "Willow" a renowned painter on here..
Ricks figures he has obtained from various sources and is forming an army as we speak..

I am a collector of figures for me to use and simply collect, but also a painter to resell [in my vintage figure business i get half finished armies that are worthless unless finished so time is spent on them instead of mine] so I find that I collect a lot more prepainted units/armies now a days to use as my painting time is spent painting for resale..ironic isnt it. I have a lot of my own paintjobs floating around here as my room is like a Westfields car park for figures. Although today at club I played an ECW game with an army I painted to sell [but heck I gotta get some fun out of it hee hee].

Willows figures indeed are very nicely done..you will note a few others on WRG strip basing..these done by someone else but needing tidiying up and rebasing though we got away with using their basing as such. I will do and apply a matching wash to bring inline with Willows figs. I have 3 Austrian armies [by 3 different painters] to be joined so i will finish them off to slot into Willows' style. The others being later Austrian versions..making one huge army over the Nap period of time. There isa lot oif unpainted too so I probably will be painting for a long time..hee hee

Unit scale..dont you worry your pretty little head about that Darling..choose what you like.

I never give a toss about scale..as I said above if the game looks good it is good.

The hobby to me is the presentation, and this is not one of my better presentations but quick setup for a a learning game but I still like it to look nice. My fun is nice troops nice scenery and gentleman gamers. The game isjust the icing that makeswhat i do have a use.

Scalewise...Basically I used what Willow's army was based to..ie most units were applicable to 4 bases per unit. A few fudged units but it was basically setup for that.

but as you know you can have anywhere between 4 to 10 bases per unit...usually most of my forces in this period are 4 bases per unit..though I really enjoy larger units so you may see that change over time..

presently we are trying these out at 4 base units but we may and probably will change the kill number per base to 4 instead of 3 ..as 3 seem's too brittle especially with the 50% rule otherwise at 3 kills per base I'd definately increase the number of bases in the unit ..The rules themselves allow upping to 4 kills per base

For my yet to be run Colonial games with these rules I have based irregular natives as 3 figs to a base as it looks more irregular. Allowing only 3 kills per base but increase the unit size to look more enmass [and irregular] while recommending 4 kills per base per formed troops so this revelation from these games fall in line with my original thoughts [and look] of the game....this is yet to be tried as the army is still being based and new units painted to complete.

Rules areworth trying out...and give us your thoughts too...so far no one is against them in our group.

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Postby Admin Fella » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:06 am

Nicely done mate, thanks for posting.

Return to “The Charles Bean Room”