Impetus Normans v Saxons

Discussion Room for BATTLE REPORTS .
Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Impetus Normans v Saxons

Postby Admin Fella » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 pm

It has been a busy couple of weeks for me, 2 games which is more than I have probably had in the last 18 months! :shock:

This is the 2nd game i played yesterday at Goulburn.

The first hit out of my Normans (painted by the good Blue Willow) v Saxons.

Overall I am pretty happy with how they went, i expected to be on the receiving end of a good shellacking and while i would have been beaten in the end, it was closer than I thought.

As my first game I was of course new to the rules and this showed from the start when i placed an infantry unit (Javelin Skirmishers) outside my infantry command radius and 2 units of Cavalry (2 heavy and 2 light bases) outside Cav Command radius. Not so much of an issue except trying to rally them in subsequent turns when they were disordered and it does become a real hindrance as the game develops and you take dice penalties along with movement restrictions.

As to the list well, I had 6 bases of Milites Cav, 2 of Breton light along wth 2 x archer bases, 2 x Javelin bases, 4 bases of heavy infantry and 1 base of dismounted Milites.

I am thinking of adjusting a bit to take Breton medium Cav (ditching 1 x heavy Cav) instead of light, ditching 2 bases of heavy infantry for 1 base of Mercenaries. Slightly smaller but with more hitting power.

Anyway to the game. With the Saxons and their shield wall, large units and decent VBU etc they are a real nemesis for the Normans who really only have the Cav as their strike weapon. While i did manage to break both flanks I had worn my units out and my centre was almost done while the Saxons were still strong there. I did destroy more bases than i lost, but allot of my units were combat ineffective and if played another turn or two most would have been lost.

On to the pics:

regards
Mathew

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Re: Impetus Normans v Saxons

Postby Dropbear » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:08 pm

lovely collection of troops! :D

Return to “The Charles Bean Room”