Longstreet Cancon 2019. Game 5. Battle of Meridian.

Discussion Room for BATTLE REPORTS .
Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Longstreet Cancon 2019. Game 5. Battle of Meridian.

Post by Midshipman Easy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:59 pm

The later round 5 of games on the second day represented the second half of 1863. The Confederates had won games but everything would hinge on Meridian where if the Union won, they would have cut the Confederacy in two. So that is where the final battle would be.

The final game would be in 1864 and previously had between a large all in game on two extended tables. This would be on a single table, with a difference. Imagine 3 seperate tables. The first is a double length table and the other two are L shaped. Now imagine the two L shaped tables are placed top to top with the upper one mirroring the bottom one. Now rotate the top one from the 12 o'clock to the 3 o'clock position. Now place the double length table at the head of the first L but running off to the 9 o'clock. That is the table setup that greeted us on Monday morning.

The Apex.

The Long Table.

The "Central Table".

My table. The river is unfordable. Yay, not!

Your arrival time and table would be decided randomly by dice rolls. This ended up with 2 Rebels facing 6 Union armies, 5 of which had to come on via the same point (the Long Table). Two more, including myself, would come on via the road over the river with 1 Union army coming down anearby road on the far side of the river (The 3 o'clock L table). The last two Rebs would come on at the base of the central L table, unopposed as it turned out but not much use to the confederacy.

I would be arriving second only able to get one unit on each turn until the road cleared. Our Union opponent began to race to the bridge.

The Yankees arrive on the Long Table and try to deploy.

The Rebel command down on the Long Table decided to use one command to hold off the Blue Tide whilst both tried to shift to their right to the Central Table.

On my table my college pushed across with cavalry and moved to the left, staying clear of the Union troops and attempting to get room to deploy.

The Yankees pushed on to as close to the bridge as they could trying to cut the bridge and isolate any Reb units that had gotten across. Their artillery did great work.

Back on the Long Table, things were getting hot and far more interesting, if no more intense, than at the bridge.

The Isolated Rebels were moving up as fast as they could.

The Blue Horde on the Long Table surges forward threatening to isolate one of the Rebel armies.

Back up my end, my college pushed his artillery across. Satisfied with his work, our opponent played the "Confusion" card allowing him to reposition an enemy unit via a legal move, in this case right in front of a regiment of infantry, which in their turn charged and took the guns. Damn.

Meanwhile his cavalry get badly shot up and driven off whilst the enemy artillery aided by many "Yankee Guns" cards (allowing misses to be rerolled) took their toll on the Rebel infantry.

The Long Table looks much more interesting if much more terrifying.

Our unopposed colleges were reaching the action. Just as the remaining Rebels on the long table begin to collapse.

I had manged to push my guns and some infantry up to the river bank, driving off 2 Union regiments that were trying to flank the bridge. Then managed to get two regiments of infantry across that were lining up to charged to heavily shelled Yankees dug in across the road.

The Union troops facing the bridge were now caught between two fires.

Near the Long TAble to Rebel lines reform.

The Union avalanche continues.

At this point time ran out. Even though niether side had reached the break point of 126, the Rebels had lost 60 bases compared to the Union 56. So a hard fought victory to the Union.

The whole weekend was great fun and somethingthat I have looked forward to since Cancon 2018. I wait to see what next year brings.
A captain goes down with his ship. Midshipman Easy Reporting!

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Re: Longstreet Cancon 2019. Game 5. Battle of Meridian.

Post by Captain Darling » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:05 pm

A seriously good looking game! Lots of wonderful figures!

I won’t even try to get you to let me know how you handled this multi player with the decks 😀!

We’re there many in t(e crowd drawn to the spectacle of this game?

Well done to all of you!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporiu ... pot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com