First Battle of Washington.

Discussion Room for BATTLE REPORTS .
Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

First Battle of Washington.

Postby Midshipman Easy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 pm

This is the second battle of the 1861 ACW campaign being run by the Penrith Wargames Society. (campaign here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6999 with the first battle here viewtopic.php?f=76&t=7001)

With Washington, garrison 1 division, threatened by at least 2 Reb corps, roughly 8 to 10 divisions, the Confederates attck both the Eastern and Southern outer defence line.

Eastern line. My command area.

Southern Line.

The Rebels approach from the east.
The fences represent an abatis line.

Rebels. The Georgia division.

Virginians coming up from the South.

The rebels reach the obstacles with the limited artillery, a single battery to each front, and the rifle fire of a single brigade starting to take its toll.

Rebel artillery fire took out the gun crews and forced one Federal unit back due to losses from their fire, ie failed their morale test.

The Rebs push on.

The Confederates make the wall and in the Eastern sector the Union falls back after a brief fight.

The Rebels push their advantage on the Union left.

On the right the union rifle fire keeps the rebels at bay and reduces some units to half their strength.

However the rebels are solidly in the Eastern lines and there are no reserves to throw them back. So the Union pulls back to the second line which causes the Southern defenders to do the same.

On the Southern front the defenders had some better luck, and a less aggressive opponent, with the defenders taking a heavy toll of their attackers.

Still the Rebels managed to push inward.

In the end the, just as the Union was about to be reinforced (ie arriving that turn) the Rebels declined to advance and began occupying the old Federal defence works. Thinking it better to gather its strength and await another Confederate assualt, the Feds withdrew.

Federal losses were;
Eastern sector: 3 stands killed, 9 routed, 4 artillery crew and one gun captured
Southern sector: 5 stands killed, 3 routed, 4 artillery crew and one gun captured

Confederate losses were;
Eastern sector: 8 stands killed (all veteran, shock infantry)
Southern sector: 8 stands killed

All lost stands/crew have a change of being regained. The guns now become the only rifled artillery the Rebels have.

Next game to follow soon.
A captain goes down with his ship. Midshipman Easy Reporting!

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Re: First Battle of Washington.

Postby Captain Darling » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:09 pm

One defending division vs 10 attacking ones...wow even with entrenchments thats a tall order for the defenders!
What rules did you use?
Good to see your lovely figures hitting the ground they look great...someone in your group still has some painting to do from the looks of it!
Thanks for posting...
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Postby Midshipman Easy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Rules; "Rank and File". These have basically become the default black powder era rules.

Painting: Yeah one of the guys does have a lot to do. He got a huge ribing for not even having standards for each unit. Hope to have a Union Coloured infantry regiment added soon.

Yeah huge task to defend but they managed to hold off the worst of it and inflict some serious losses as the Rebel troops were their very best.

Next meeting should see some real fun and games.

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Wow Tony good to see you guys are getting a lot of ACW games in. Been watching some of your painting threads. THEY CALL THAT LURKING.You must be amassing a good size Perry army by now.

I am surprised the clubs using Rank and File rules. I Introduced Rick, graham & lou to those for Napoleonics and SYW when i was still in the club before moving down to Melbourne. Man didn't think they would stick being the club used to so love WRG style rules much to my changrin hee hee. Are you using the ACW supplement with them? I like them.

Having not been able to access all my stuff since the move I can't find my rank and file rules. Though when my local club down here started ACW I offered up my Perrys to use and we set on Rank and File basing For our troops. I since passed on my Perrys to a club member so I could go back to my vintage ACW figures ( you remember my passion for vintage figures..those S series ECW figures) so I quickly painted up Two armies of Dixon figures to use. But these aren't vintage enough for me so I painted some Hinchcliffe and acquired some minifigs so the Dixon being not as vintage will have to go for older figures hee hee.

I would so love to get even older 25mm acw to use in our Longstreet campaign we are having in the Peninsula Praetorians Club i am part of down here. But i do have a heap of Mark Fenlon ACW figures Id like to do for a modern figure range that's a little different. So mate it may mean a lot more ACW painting for me.

Good to catch up with what you and club are doing on here. Haven't been able to get up to cancon or moab since leaving Sydney to catch up with anyone.
Cheers russ

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby Dropbear » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:36 pm

evadestruction wrote:I would so love to get even older 25mm acw to use in our Longstreet campaign we are having in the Peninsula Praetorians Club i am part of down here.

But i do have a heap of Mark Fenlon ACW figures Id like to do for a modern figure range that's a little different. So mate it may mean a lot more ACW painting for me.

Good to catch up with what you and club are doing on here. Haven't been able to get up to cancon or moab since leaving Sydney to catch up with anyone.
Cheers russ

You are in my part of the world then. Does Ron still play with the group?

I wish I had a heap of Mark Fenlon ACW - consider me rather envious.

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:33 pm

Yes Ron does when work doesn't call him in. In fact he and I in between mass battles at the club get some Ancient games in which was great meeting Ron as I had someone just as excited about Ancients as myself.

Yeah the Fenlons were just a lucky find. I already had a bunch of them but Mark himself was selling out if his own figures so I bought his unpainted ones. Then by the next week his good mate was selling off his after hearing mark had sold his. (He decided with mark out of it he lost interest too.) So i just had to grab them too. It means I am selling off some stuff to afford them. But i have a whole bunch from the original production. Should be enough for both sides but I'll probably have to sacrifice my painted stuff ...Dixons

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Postby Midshipman Easy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:35 pm

evadestruction wrote:Wow Tony good to see you guys are getting a lot of ACW games in. Been watching some of your painting threads. THEY CALL THAT LURKING.You must be amassing a good size Perry army by now.

Cheers russ

Gday Russell. I have been seeing your face turn up on the Australian ACW gamers Facebook page. That is also lurking. :D

My armies stand at 30 infantry stands, 6 cav and 2 guns for the Rebs, 36 infantry stands, 6 Sharpshooter, 6 Cav and 2 guns for the Union. This will expand. I hope you like what you see in the painting threads.

Yeah funny about the rule Like/Dislike. I think the others have finally woken up to the fact that the old WRG rules are in parts just down right odd and there are much better sets out there. Also some of the newer players will not be able to get the old rules. Also Rank and File plays much faster - stuff happens. Some time (once the renos on the house have finished and I have the place back in order I would like to create an ACW scenario and run it under a number of different rule sets and compare how they play out. I am thinking "On to Richmond", "Longstreet", "Rank and File", "Pickets Charge" and "Across a Deadly Field" as I have recent copies of all. Just a thought at this stage.

Good to hear from you Russell.Enjoy your games.

Return to “The Charles Bean Room”