English Civil War Campaign at the Legion

zod56
A Middy
A Middy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

English Civil War Campaign at the Legion

Post by zod56 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:06 am

An English Civil War campaign will start at our October meeting at the legion. The Charge Pikes rule system will be in use. The campaign will start off with a re-fight of a Edge-hill type battle and then map moves.

We are planning at-least 1 game a month and we'll be posting battle reports and pics in the Charles Bean Room.

A second meeting for the historical group is planned for the 4th Sunday in October.

stay Tuned!

Zod

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Re: English Civil War Campaign at the Legion

Post by Midshipman Easy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:35 pm

To his Grace, Richard, Duke of Penrith.

From Viscount Wilkinson, Governor of Devoshire.

My Lord,

it is a sad day indeed when we must take up arms to defend ourselves from our own sovereign. However since I had heard that he had left London I have made what preparations I could for war including the raising secretly of troops. Now that the King hath raised his standard I can reveal what troops I have been able to ready. So far I have managed to recruit 2 regiments of foote and 2 of horse as well as a small artillery train.

The first regiment of foote is under command of Sir Ian Hasluck, a local knight of some standing who has long sponsored Puritan ministers to preach in his parish. Sir Ian has a great hatred of the King who he feels has mostly unfairly passed him over for promotion and favours and instead given such royal considerations to most ungodly men. His troops are a fine body of well armed and drilled men who have a proper understanding of the rights of Parliament and of God's power in the world.

The second regiment of foote has been raised by Sir Micheal Rigge, a cloth merchant of Exeter, who has recruited among the apprentices and journeymen of the city. He has been most successful it seems among the haberdashers and his regiment has been superbly clothed in clothe of a rich and one might say royal purple colour. Sadly whilst Sir Micheal has spent much time considering the clothing of his men, he has allowed Colonel Hasluck to reach the Militia armouries first. Thus few, if any, of the men in Rigge's regiment are armoured and some have buff coats of a lesser quality. Still his men have shown and appetite for wanton destruction that should serve us well, if it can be directed at the enemy!

Of horse I have but two regiments as yet. The first is under the command of Colonel Richard Donaldson. Colonel Donaldson is and extremely dour and sober gentleman of North Devon with the strictest of Puritan habits. He preaches to his men each day and twice on Sunday. They are extremely well disciplined men and would ride through hell without so much as blinking if that were the colonels orders.

The last regiment is that of Sir Reginald Roger Wright. He has recruited well amongst the younger sons of gentry whose fathers and older brothers have ridden to join the King. They think nothing of wearing the finest clothes to battle and do much to give the appearance that they fear niether man nor God. Still if they can conquer the enemy with the ease and number that they conquer the less goodly women of this county then we have little to fear.

I have not been able to raise many troops amongst the citizens and burghers of Exeter but many of the merchants have banded together and hired a Dutch mercenary. Jakob Van Prout is a master gunner who has seen much service on the continent in the Protestant cause. His gun will be most welcome though I do fear that many of the barrels that his men carry with do not contain gunpowder, but instead strong drink.

I will of course be marching with my men when we move to join you at Edgehill.

For Parliament.
Viscount Wilkinson.
A captain goes down with his ship. Midshipman Easy Reporting!

zod56
A Middy
A Middy

Post by zod56 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:57 am

A fine body of God fearing protestants my lord. They shall strike fear into the hearts of the Kings Papist mercenaries! I Duke of Penrith do realise that a war with the King may weight heavy on many of those in the House, BUT, for many months we hath sat by and have taken the insults from the Kings stooges, such as that scoundrel Ian, Duke of Wollongong, who mocks us at every corner of the House! Only by force can we convince the King to change his tyranny of the land and the people.

God save the Right.
For Parliment

Tyberius
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by Tyberius » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:33 pm

My good friend and colleague, Viscount Wilkinson, Governor of Devonshire ,

I never thought I’d see the day where you would betray King and Country and support those whose only love in life is to hear their own voices (Parliamentarians) These lovers of talk feasts with all their word babble have clearly confused your mind, weakened your convictions and corrupted your soul.

There can be no England without the King.
The King IS England and England is nothing without our King.

No Commoner on a soap box can ever replace our King!

I know deep in your heart you are still loyal to our King, and the King is merciful yet.

Turn on the rebels during the heat of battle, the surprise will be real for all present, delivery the King his victory and you will be well rewarded!

Long Live the KING!
Confusion to his enemies!
The chickens have come home to roost,
But they are not ....... chickens
They are ....... Emus

Tyberius

Tyberius
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Tyberius » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:34 pm

No Commoner at the soap box called Parliament can ever replace our King! Gentlemen, a toast!

Long Live the King!
Confusion to his enemies!
They are ....... Emus

Tyberius

Duke of Wollongong

Post by Duke of Wollongong » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:54 am

It pains his Majesty to read that the forces of Parliament are displaying such martial intent. The treasonous intent of serpents such as my Lords Penrith and Wilkinson is obvious. The Protestant Princes of Europe recoil in horror at this unsettling of the natural order and have sent aid to restore His Majesty to his throne. I am pleased to proclaim that Prince Rupert of Penshurst has landed at the head of a throng of Protestant German volunteers intent on protecting this realm from falling into the hands of Papists.

It is plain that the vainglorious Penrith and Wilkinson have entered into a pact with France designed to weaken the realm and expose our colonies to seizure by our old foe across the channel. If it is to be war then war it shall be. His Majesty will reward those who have been loyal to him in this time of crisis...but promises a fulsome reckoning for those who besmirch his name and the honour of his land. The die is caste...and by the Grace of God his Majesties allies will roll a succession of "6's" when next we face the foe! Death to traitors!
God Save the King!

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Midshipman Easy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:44 pm

I can see then that all true Englishmen must side with Parliament to defend this sacred isle from invasion by foreign barbarians. To arms men to arms. We march now to do our duty to our country, our people and our faith. We march boys! ON TO EDGEHILL!

Viscount Wilkinson.

zod56
A Middy
A Middy

Post by zod56 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:59 pm

Me thinks this King is a nasty little Sod!

Penrith, Duke of! :D

Frederick the Great

Post by Frederick the Great » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Midshipman Easy wrote:I can see then that all true Englishmen must side with Parliament to defend this sacred isle from invasion by foreign barbarians. To arms men to arms. We march now to do our duty to our country, our people and our faith. We march boys! ON TO EDGEHILL!

Viscount Wilkinson.

Well spoken Midshipman, well spoken. Well despite all this rain and packing orders, the ECW Parlimentary forces of Lord Dragonfire are now about a full regiment of pike, the musketeer contingent is still being glued together er! I mean assembled for parade! :wink:

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Midshipman Easy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:15 pm

I know what you mean Frederick. Went to MOAB on Saturday and picked up a Battalia pack so I am "recruiting" virtually as we speak.

Tony.

Duke of Wollongong

Post by Duke of Wollongong » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:04 pm

The treason is spreading much to the pleasure of our old enemies I am sure. Praise be that thousands of loyal subjects have rallied to the Royal Standard at Oxford. Such stalwarts as Lord Hughes of Pyrmont and the young Viscount Parrish of Nebo have gathered considerable forces of loyal Englishmen together for the purposes of protecting his majesties throne from that nest of self interested vipers in London. God save the King...but death to the traitor Penrith and all those who follow his cowardly banner.

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Midshipman Easy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:27 pm

It will be my pleasure my Duke, to show you what true patriotic Englishmen look like. But I shall not spoil your surprise. I will show you all you need to know when we meet at Edgehill on this Sunday (Penrith PCYC 10am for those who wish to see the Godly Parliament triumph over Royal Tyranny).

Until then Your Grace.

Viscount Wilkinson.

Tyberius
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Tyberius » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:47 pm

A cheer for the King, as he has brought us sweet Victory yet again.

Long live the King and confusion to his enemies!
They are ....... Emus

Tyberius

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Edgehill Battle.

Post by Midshipman Easy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Greetings my Lords.

You may find a true account of this battle, the first of our campaign here, http://ozwargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=4185

May you all enjoy it.

Tony.

Tyberius
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Tyberius » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:20 pm

They are ....... Emus

Tyberius