Anyone there in the blasted wastes of the southern foothills

A place to find an opponent in your area, both table top and geographical.
starkadder

Anyone there in the blasted wastes of the southern foothills

Post by starkadder » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:31 pm

Through very little fault of my own, discounting marriage and mortgage, I find myself trapped in Tahmoor, the very gateway to the Southern Highlands of NSW (100k SW of Sydney).

What can I say? At least it's not the hellhole of Marulan which has gone down in tone remarkably quickly.

I'm looking for the odd opponent. Table and terrain supplied. Claret, muscat and venison always an option.

I have a number of options; Warhammer - Fantasy and 40k, 25mm Napoleonic (based for WRG), Renaissance (WRG-George Gush) and an absurd number of 54mm Wild West figures with which I want to experiment. I am also in the early stages of trying to design a campaign around the Russo-Polish War of 1919-20 (hugely interesting).

Is there anyone who would be interested?

Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:14 pm

Why do you only want an opponent who is odd ? :lol:

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:19 pm

being Odd I am interested!

Have Merlot and claret, venison on the hoof also!

54mm wild west sounds neat, do you have buildings for them?

I play Napoleonics but with ITGM and GDB, 7YW British Grenadier, so no love there.

what rules and scale are you using for the 1920s stuff?

I am in sunny Goulburn and refuse to work for the MAN Thursday to Sunday, so available for games during these days, although Saturday is Super day around the house(SWMBO says so)!

cheers
Matt
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:06 pm

"The odd" is not "an odd" opponent. Perhaps I shall only accept every second offer.

Pz. Ferdinand was a very unsteady fellow. That could have been due to the claret.

And as for Bluewillow, what can I say? Anyone who chooses to name themselves after a porcelain pattern must be viewed with trepidation.

The Russo-Polish stuff has no rules (then again neither did the real thing). I'm looking at trying to develop it as a large tabletop campaign with movement at brigade level using horrid 1/72 plastic figures painted by a twisted mountebank. Scales smaller than that, I suspect, will lose the flavour of sadism and cowardice that seemed to typify the whole war. Larger than that I may as well do it with blocks. The rules? I'll write 'em.

I don't have Wild West buildings but I wanted to do it with foam core demountables. Again purely experimental with a sort of team skirmish feel. Oberst Stug will be able to regale you with tales of Beauregarde Sanchez, the most mysteriously evil man who ever lived.

The WRG option is not real. No one in their right minds would play Horse and Musket in 25mm WRG these days. It was purely "Needs must as the Devil drives".

Mind you, George Gush's stuff still works. It's just rather unsatisfying when the dog is your only opponenet and all he wants to do is play with a rubber ball and have his bum scratched when he loses.

Hordes of the Things I still have a great affection for but I suspect that NO-ONE uses that system.

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Bluewillow » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:07 pm

And as for Bluewillow, what can I say? Anyone who chooses to name themselves after a porcelain pattern must be viewed with trepidation.
That would be because my nickname in the army was at first Blue (aka red heads nickname) and Willow as my surname name is Williamson, the two were joined on my Para course as there were already two "blues" in the unit, and amazingly one of them was a Williamson also.

So Bluewillow it became, and has stuck ever since amoung my AJ mates.
The Russo-Polish stuff has no rules (then again neither did the real thing). I'm looking at trying to develop it as a large tabletop campaign with movement at brigade level using horrid 1/72 plastic figures painted by a twisted mountebank. Scales smaller than that, I suspect, will lose the flavour of sadism and cowardice that seemed to typify the whole war. Larger than that I may as well do it with blocks. The rules? I'll write 'em.
Have you thought about Rapid Fire?
I know a set of rules were written for spain.
It's just rather unsatisfying when the dog is your only opponenet and all he wants to do is play with a rubber ball and have his bum scratched when he loses.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers
Matt

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:12 pm

ah Beauregarde Sanchez..a souther gentleman of very dubious background..didn't he blow up a train in one game, with most of his gang still on board....Kit Kendo, the most myopic gunfighter in the West stayed a long way away from him, Kit Kendo never died , which is a lot more than could be said for most of the others who played..I thought that Two Gun Manning, pinned down in the middle of the pig sty with the 20 sticks of dynamite, a lit cheroot and a pair empty colt was pretty funny and thaty crazy loon Paul Holt drunk as character and drunk as a player weaving around both the room and the table with dynamite going off and a gatling refusing to jamewas a weird highpoint..and Starkadder I do remember the very low point the game reached , thanks Neville Sadler, though as I remember we drilled him rotten, well not Kit Kendo, he couldnt actually hit anything except when he fired a warning shot that drilled the Cavalry captain between the eys, thus begining his interesting bit fuzzy focused career , but the others..that was in Bridge Road.. 27 years ago...( 250cc hondas..lots of alchohol, scalextic track all over the upstairs, Ramones Party...so it goes)
I still have both the Kit Kendo figure the younger thinner moustachioed minifig one and the fatter sombreeo wearing one with the Ric Grech scratch built copper wire specs, I know his lerhality did not increase one jot when he got them
Last edited by Cardinal Biggles on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:15 pm

and we played those games with no rules, just a six and ten sides die and an ump who was moderately more sober than the players..

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:00 am

"More sober" in the first half, maybe.

I also recall Matt O'Donnell behind the bar and the tarts from "Touch of Class" wandering in for the odd sherry. And being picketed by Selina, Wendy, Barbara and Phil for supporting crazed (but very tiny) militarists.

Aaargh. Tear up the ashphalt. Take down the streetlamps. Stop all the clocks. Memory Lane is closed for repairs.

Hmm, "Rapid Fire", eh? From my limited knowledge of the last ten years of gaming (I've been away for a while living a real life). I'm open to persuasion but I suspect it's not what I was aiming to achieve. When I said "brigade level" I meant that the smallest manoeuvre unit would be a brigade or equivalent (apologies, Bluewillow).

This would allow a large map spanning from Warsaw to Kiev up to the Baltic and down to the Ukraine. I'd be looking at cavalry armies, citizen landwehr infantry, quality French-style infantry, heavy artillery, tanks (Renaults and the odd MkIV, aeroplanes (Nieuport 28s, Spads, Snipes etc), armoured trains and lots of horribly determined political commissars shooting shirkers.

All of which made me think that a more detailed version of "Risk" or "Attack" might be the go. I'm aiming for a feel of the bizarre nature of the war, the miracles, the epic retreats and counterattacks, the arrant cowardice, treachery and insane romantic heroism that seemed such a part of it. The foreign observers couldn't make head or tail of it. which is one of the reasons it hasn't been recalled all that well. There's a serious argument that this was the first campaign phase of World War 2.

AndI forgot to mention in more general matters that I have a certain interest in things naval. There's a Great White Fleet out there looking for revenge on a ridiculous Austro-Hungarian fleet that was so precise and "accurate" that its commanders must have all been psychic unicyclists.

Damn that Lane. I walked down it again.
[/quote]

ronshippau
a Shandy
a Shandy

Re: Anyone there in the blasted wastes of the southern foothills

Post by ronshippau » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:23 am

Hi I think you should use Principles of ware for the Russo-Polish war, and join the yahoo group Australian WRG which you may be in already if you go to Cancon I think some members live near you cheers Ron, and I'm up for a game if we cross paths I'm in Adelaide but visit my kids in NSW cheers Ron

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:46 am

Excellent.

If you have a URL for Principles (and yes I realise I'm opening myself up to a whole word of "unprincipled" jests)

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Bluewillow » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:32 pm

there is a set on ebay AU at the moment I think

cheers
matt