Gunners Terrain project updated 18/10 Roads

Down the stairs and under the Tavern. A cool place where we work on our Brews.

Please post all WORK IN PROGRESS topics here.
Gunner Dunbar
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Gunners Terrain project updated 18/10 Roads

Post by Gunner Dunbar » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi Guys

I have always been a figures/vehicles guy, but have been thinking about terrain for a little while now, I have started my terrain project off by purchasing this green teddy bear fur and a door mat, I had been looking on line for a suitable fur for a couple of weeks, but had not found anything suitable in my price range, I stumbled across this at my local spotlight not long ago, but it was $70 a meter, and I wanted 2m, and couldn't afford it then, luckily spotlight was having a 40% off sales this week, there was only 1.3m left, it ended up costing me $60.
I also bought this $5 door mat to turn into crops.
Now to decide how to proceed, my options are
1) leave as is, and build some roads/rivers to place over it (this would give the most flexibility)
2) leave as one piece and cut roads etc into it, less flexible, but I have seen some stunning examples done like this.
3) cut it into 1 foot squares, glue to rubber backing and cut roads/rivers into it, this will give it flexibility and the same look as option 2, but it will end up heavier and harder to store.
Thoughts? If I leave it in 1 piece, should I add colour? should I shave it down with hair clippers? there is about 1,1/2 feet overhang on one side, I could cut that off, glue to rubber backing and cut roads/rivers into that? lots of ideas.
I plan to make buildings out of printed paper, which I will add extra detail to.
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/start-of-terrain-project.html
Last edited by Gunner Dunbar on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nevermore
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Re: Gunners Terrain project

Post by nevermore » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:40 pm

Never used teddy bear fur before, so i will be on the fence for this one as my advice would be guessing, looking forward to what you decide and what the outcome will be.

Gunner Dunbar
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Gunner Dunbar » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:43 am

Don't want to procrastinate to long, so have decided to leave it whole, I may do a light sand coloured spray over some areas for variation, I will cut the excess off and glue them to thin rubber backing, then cut roads/rivers into that, and do a couple of T X and Y intersections, and that should do it, then start on buildings.

Gunner Dunbar
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Gunner Dunbar » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi guys

Did some work on my terrain project this arvo, I made some lengths of road, I did 2 types, a dirt main road and a dirt track, I may do a sealed road at a later date.
This is ending up a pretty cheap project, apart from the $60 teddy bear skin, I haven't had to pay for anything else yet, I used some old carpet squares as the base of the road, glued some fine sand paper down as the road surface, edged it with teddy bear fur, then glued some sand for texture.
I still need to paint them, I have some largish bottles of artist water colours for this, I have added some pics with a 1/72 scale tank and Romanian and a 28mm Aussie Digger, up next will be some X, T and Y intersections, some 90 degree turns and some rivers sections.
more pics
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/wip-roads.html

Chuckie
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 94

Re: Gunners Terrain project updated 18/10 Roads

Post by Chuckie » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Very nice - like the road systems. Cannot see the whole thing together :)

Gunner Dunbar
A Schooner
A Schooner

Re: Gunners Terrain project updated 18/10 Roads

Post by Gunner Dunbar » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi guys

I have finished all my roads and intersections (except the sealed roads I plan to do in the future) and I'm pretty chuffed with the results, this has taken me 2 Sunday arvos so far, about 8-10 hours, next will be the river sections, plan on using something resin for this, any ideas?
More pics
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/roads-complete.html