Useful painting mediums and such

Down the stairs and under the Tavern. A cool place where we work on our Brews.

Please post all WORK IN PROGRESS topics here.
paintpig
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 93

Useful painting mediums and such

Post by paintpig » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 pm

I thought a new thread was probably the more appropriate way to go here, no need to derail the good Midshipman Easy's thread.
Well paintpig it's like this, "Pledge" is a floor polish just like "Long Life". Not long after the "Army Painter" dip-n-go finishes hit the market I saw a thread on the "TMP" forum (I think) from an American who had tried "Pledge" but with paint, rather than ink, to get a cheaper alternative that shaded and varnished in one go. I eventually found some and tried it with inks, which I had been using for a long time as part of my shading method. I stuck with Pledge because I didn't want to stray from a working formula too much.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Pledge and Long Life are actually the same product but I'd have to do a lot of digging to confirm/deny that.
Yeah I figured that the floor polish's were going to be pretty similar too Mr Easy.

I don't thin the LL floor polish Gregorious it is quite thin as is and really finds it's way into to tiniest detail which would make it excellent for vehicles, picking out hinges and doors etc. I don't really "do" any vehicles as such so no examples sorry.

I mixed a range of colours that I keep in little dropper bottles from Reaper, all are LL and Artist Acrylics (see pic), no recipe as such just mix to your taste. Black green, black red, back brown, paynes grey etc. I'm sure you get the drift.

Image Image

Greatcoat and trews with LL and black brown mixture (highlights and dirt stains painted on), the finish seems to be about the same as pledge finish on the recce 1/2 tracks Mr Easy.

Leather boot and vest using LL and black brown mixture over top and I also used an LL and sepia over tanned leather base.

Gregorious if your after an army painter dip type effect I think you would be better off using a thicker medium like urethane (acrylic) varnish. I the old day we used a oil based boat varnish, thank the gods it's not the old days anymore! I don't have any pics on hand of this urethane method but I was helping a guy out with his toys and a blackish type dip not long back so I will pester him for a photo.
regards
Dave

The fig v fig blog: from bayonets to breechloaders
The iNation blog: the hesse-kassoulet kronicles

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Re: Useful painting mediums and such

Post by Admin Fella » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:17 pm

Interesting options there mate.

My biggest issue is that I will paint a few leave it foe some months and then forget what I had done to get the effect! :shock:

paintpig
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 93

Re: Useful painting mediums and such

Post by paintpig » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Your not the only one mate we have all been there, what is worse I keep a note pad but forget to write the feckin recipe *derr*
regards
Dave

The fig v fig blog: from bayonets to breechloaders
The iNation blog: the hesse-kassoulet kronicles