German Armoured Recce Battalion.

Down the stairs and under the Tavern. A cool place where we work on our Brews.

Please post all WORK IN PROGRESS topics here.
Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

German Armoured Recce Battalion.

Post by Midshipman Easy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Gday All,

For a long time I have wanted to build a mid-late war German armoured recce unit like that in the back of the "Rapid Fire" rule book. To do this however I would need 6 Sdkfz 250's and other parts and cost is always an issue. I had obtained one as a second hand revamp, a Sdkfz 250/9 with 20mm gun, but that was it for a while until the budget could stretch to it.

Recently however DeAgostini magazine publishers launch a new magazine that included models, "Military Vehicles" with the first one, at the princely sum of $2.95, being a Sdkfz 250. Ok, the version they chose was Rommel's personal machine but with a little work...

The idea was to strip down the models, modify them and strip off the paint on the metal sections of the die cast models. Only the upper hull is actually metal.

The internal areas would need modification which meant removing the large radio sets from the command version and replace with smaller ones in the back corner. It would also mean adding heavier guns to some, well 2 of the machines. The Commanders machine should have a 37mm Pak mounted but I decided to leave this off and basically rebuild the model in practically it's original form and get another one to modify. However, the magazines had all sold out. So for the moment the Commanders ride has only MGs but can serve as a higher command post if needed. The other gun carrier would be a 250/8 Stummel with the short 75mm gun, which I would have to scratch build. So to the Stummel...

Now before all the rivet counter go nuts, yes I know that for this version of the Sdkfz 250, the Alte or Old version with the angled sides, only had a few converted to Stummels and that they had the top of the gun mount level with the hull. On the model this would mean cutting down into the die cast metal which I am not keen to do. So I mounted the gun the same the later version did, by building up the hull and mounting the gun above the drivers station. Not strictly correct, but it looks the part and it will do for the wargames table.

A captain goes down with his ship. Midshipman Easy Reporting!

Paul
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Re: German Armoured Recce Battalion.

Post by Paul » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:37 am

Nice looking conversions.
2.95 is a pretty good Price for a ready built AFV, even if they are all the same...any idea what else is coming...stugs perhaps?
RARO SENEX MUTAT SENTENTIAM

Paul's Bods

Federation of Bodstonia

Paul
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Post by Paul » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:42 am

Just looked up the DeAgostini Magazine site but I can´t find the titel that has the vehicles. :cry:
RARO SENEX MUTAT SENTENTIAM

Paul's Bods

Federation of Bodstonia

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Midshipman Easy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 pm

In Australia the magazine is being distributed by some crowd called "Network Services Company" with an online presence through magshop.com.au

http://militaryvehiclecollection.com is another link for subscribers in the UK and Oz. There is no list yet of intended models there and being b#$@$$ds there probably never will be.

I have been getting these through my newsagent so far and the first 7 have been; Sdkfz 250, M35A1 truck, M1126 Stryker (plus BergeTiger which I think I'll convert back to a gun tank), MCV-80 Warrior, Sdkfz 7 with quad 20mm Flak, DUKW and Steyr 1500. Next is the Morris Quad FAT with 25pdr.

I did find a website which I think was in Czech (and no I didn't book mark it) that seemed to show the same magazine out to 80 issues with a different release order and a few that are missing from the website but have been advertised in the magazine. Having said that, a similar magzine that I have noticed recently "The Combat Tanks Collection" is up to around 120 and still going.

Hope this helps.

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Post by Admin Fella » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Nice going so far mate, they will look the part!

regards
Mathew

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Midshipman Easy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Ok...Round 2....

A couple of things I forgot. First, the rearranged radio sets as in this picture. The one of the left is the original unchanged. The one in the front is the body that will be the Stummel, with all radio sets removed, whilst the ones in the back have had the large radio cut out, then cut in half and finally put back in standing on its end to made the smaller radio sets that went into the platoon vehicles.

Next adding the extra seat, next to the radio, to the platoon vehicles.

After that, and all other modifications done, a coat of metal etching primer (gray) and then a coat of Plastic Soldier Company "Late War German Dunklegelb". This is the first time I have used this brand and compared to Army Painters "German Yellow" or Battlefields "German Armour", this is quite a bit brighter and far less brown than I had been expecting. It's not in the photos real clear, but this one has a slight greenish tinge to it. Not that I am too worried about the colour, a little variation is good, particularly if your paint supplies are getting bombed regularly. The only other thing I would say about the PSC spray cans is that they are a bit sensitive to exactly where you put your finger on the nozzle. If you don't get the pressure and placement just right, it seems to me that the cans just don't spray properly. Get it all right and they are fine. But be off by even a little bit and you will notice the difference.

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Midshipman Easy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Round 3.

With the machines now base coated, time to dig out the paint brushes.
So on with the camo. Derivan Mini's "Forest Green" and "Light Chestnut" semi dry brushed on in short strokes. This should give these areas an uneven tone and feathered edges as if they had been sprayed on. Then a dry brush of "Desert Yellow". This will bring up the highlights,"chip" the edges and corners, and apply further feathering and discolouring to the camo areas giving a slightly worn look as well as giving more of a sprayed on appearance.
Details painted on as well as adding some left over baggage from a Plastic Soldier Company Sdkfz 251 kit.

fanai
The Slab
The Slab

Post by fanai » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:16 am

looks great - love what you have done with those - makes a great recon group- congrads
ian
Painting is a Journey not a destination

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:55 pm

lovely!

I bought a heap also but yet to start them!
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Midshipman Easy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:33 pm

Final Round, inking and varnishing.

With a few highlights on various bits of kit it is now time to ink. This is kinda the "Army Painter" method brushing on their "shade and tone" finishes. However I make my own mix from 5 parts "Pledge, One Go, Floor polish" and 1 part "Art Spectrum, Sepia ink". This formula shades well and wicks down really well. In fact sometimes too well and if you just leave the figure to dry there will be a mass of dark ink along the lower edge of a flat surface, so you need to come back to it occasionally whilst its drying to spread the ink around a little more.

Figures are then added, some PSC left overs and some old Esci ones from the bits box.

Some bases, with magnets on the bottom to aid with storage and transport, some flock and they are almost ready.

After that it is then just a case of applying some varnish, in this case, Army Painter Flat Varnish, and they are ready for service.

paintpig
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 93

Post by paintpig » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Good job Mr Easy
regards
Dave

The fig v fig blog: from bayonets to breechloaders
The iNation blog: the hesse-kassoulet kronicles

gregorius
A Pony
A Pony

Post by gregorius » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 am

Hi Mr. Easy,

Where did you get the Pledge One Go from? I am just about out of mine and the local Coles and Woolworths no longer stock it.

Cheers,
Greg

Dienekes, remarked with a laugh, 'Good. Then we'll have our battle in the shade.' - Herodotus, The Histories, 7.226

paintpig
The Slab
The Slab

Post by paintpig » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:45 pm

gregorius wrote:Hi Mr. Easy,
Where did you get the Pledge One Go from? I am just about out of mine and the local Coles and Woolworths no longer stock it.
Cheers,

Been looking for the Pledge product for a few years now to give it a try
regards
Dave

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Midshipman Easy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:55 pm

I got mine from Coles some time ago but I kinda remember seeing some in Bunnings, near the Simple Green which is great at stripping paint off plastic without turning the plastic into a pile of sludge.

paintpig
The Slab
The Slab

Post by paintpig » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Midshipman Easy wrote:I got mine from Coles some time ago but I kinda remember seeing some in Bunnings, near the Simple Green which is great at stripping paint off plastic without turning the plastic into a pile of sludge.

Yeah I tried Bunnings, even went to the Pledge manufacturers site (Johnsons from memory) which listed retailers but to no avail. Ended up buying the "Long Life" polish which works as does water based (acrylic) varnishes and medium's. I guess it was a case of what is the difference using Pledge that I was interested in. I think from a visual perspective the finish on your toys looks pretty similar to what I have got with Long Life floor polish.

I will post a photo or two of the Long Life wash in a separate thread so I don't go off topic from Mr Easy's beaut little 1/2 tracks
regards
Dave

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Post by Admin Fella » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:23 pm

paintpig wrote:Good job Mr Easy

Yep, I agree. :)

Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Midshipman Easy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Firstly I should stop being rude and thank paintpig and Adminfella for their compliments. Thank you gentlemen.

paintpig wrote:Yeah I tried Bunnings, even went to the Pledge manufacturers site (Johnsons from memory) which listed retailers but to no avail. Ended up buying the "Long Life" polish which works as does water based (acrylic) varnishes and medium's. I guess it was a case of what is the difference using Pledge that I was interested in. I think from a visual perspective the finish on your toys looks pretty similar to what I have got with Long Life floor polish.

I will post a photo or two of the Long Life wash in a separate thread so I don't go off topic from Mr Easy's beaut little 1/2 tracks

Well paintpig it's like this, "Pledge" is a floor polish just like "Long Life". Not long after the "Army Painter" dip-n-go finishes hit the market I saw a thread on the "TMP" forum (I think) from an American who had tried "Pledge" but with paint, rather than ink, to get a cheaper alternative that shaded and varnished in one go. I eventually found some and tried it with inks, which I had been using for a long time as part of my shading method. I stuck with Pledge because I didn't want to stray from a working formula too much.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Pledge and Long Life are actually the same product but I'd have to do a lot of digging to confirm/deny that.

Anyway, I very much look forward to seeing your work paintpig.

gregorius
A Pony
A Pony

Post by gregorius » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11 am

Midshipman Easy wrote:I got mine from Coles some time ago but I kinda remember seeing some in Bunnings, near the Simple Green which is great at stripping paint off plastic without turning the plastic into a pile of sludge.

Unfortunatley not at my Bunnings. Thanks for the tip. May need to try paint pigs method. BTW excellent work on the half tracks.

Cheers,
Greg

Dienekes, remarked with a laugh, 'Good. Then we'll have our battle in the shade.' - Herodotus, The Histories, 7.226

gregorius
A Pony
A Pony

Post by gregorius » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:13 am

paintpig wrote:

Yeah I tried Bunnings, even went to the Pledge manufacturers site (Johnsons from memory) which listed retailers but to no avail. Ended up buying the "Long Life" polish which works as does water based (acrylic) varnishes and medium's. I guess it was a case of what is the difference using Pledge that I was interested in. I think from a visual perspective the finish on your toys looks pretty similar to what I have got with Long Life floor polish.

Hi paint pig,

Do you thin Long Life with water or something more exotic?

Cheers,
Greg