Sydney Convention, Cumberland 2009?

Plush chairs, maps , light tables and sand trays, efficent WAAFs and crusty Admirals , curtained windows and scrambled phones...the place to talk about the annual big game and those sort of events...and all the recruiting and planning of such
Cardinal Biggles

Sydney Convention, Cumberland 2009?

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:08 pm

Phantom agent has flown the balloon and rather caught the Cardinal's imagination..he is suggesting a weekend convention, dedicated to display/demonstartion games rather than compeitions, done in well lit premises with nicely put on games, where members of the public may see nice games and actaully talk to people..it would be along the lines of groups, clubs and /or individuals putting on a display game. or games, that covered two days using excellent terrain , nice figures and clean washed nicely smelling bodies and clothes..also trade groups would be invited to come, so people could buy many nice things in a less than comperitive atmoshpere.. this would be the place where the demo game would be up front..Phantom agent has some contact with the local papers etc..it is envisaged that the site would be at the annadale community centre, this hinges on how much the back hall would cost etc..but is it a goer?
for starters I could see two or thee groups from Anndale putting on games....goulburn? Western sydney? Flames of War people, Sylvania must have some groups busting to put on a game...Pz.Ferdinad? GWZ? ..as for paying for it all I suppose we will be looking for donations etc..we cant really charge people to put on games and we don't want to charge vendors too much..or they won't come..oh and we would want a bring and buy to match Moab?..is that possible? any ideas

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:09 am

and we need a name... I rather like "Review 2009"..as 1/2 of The Drunken Grenadiers' Display Team I have some ideas!

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Post by Admin Fella » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:19 pm

Interesting idea. Not sure how it would go and you would need a number of committed people from a variety of clubs to be able to put on regular displays. Maybe push for a bigger display element at conventions?

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:57 pm

"Maybe push for a bigger display element at conventions?"
I don't see that ever happening.. especially when CAn CON wants $95 for two days from display gamers..the two are , in my mind, incompatible..it is either display or competition and you won't get people into historical gaming with competitions, competitions are essentially incomprehensible to outside observers,,any way the bottom line is to put it on without losing money..the Phantom and I have no intention of doing anything other than cover costs..and we look for support fron vendors if. and when , it happens

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:40 pm

CAn CON wants $95 for two days from display gamers
That is fundamentally wrong there is no doubt about it. Just got an email from Tim regarding next years Cancon. Asking for suggestions. Will throw that one at him.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:21 pm

we are thinking of somrthing we can control rather tham be at the fag end whim of a bunch of competition obsessives

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:45 pm

Thats fair enough. I will be interested to see what you can rustle up. I do know that us northern folk will cringe somewhat at more than 1 trip to Sydney a year. But pending what you come up with ect, i will pass the word around the vendors i know.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:05 pm

ok..see what we can do..imagine it might be a bit small to start with, who knows..basically no competitions just good looking display games, from all periods and all genres., with a bit of backuo and explanation for those who come to look and learn.quite ecumennical in the wargaming sense..

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:57 pm

hear hear, I have always wondered why australian conventions are overloaded with competition games, when its the opposite in the US and GB..

Why not a door entry $2, local council tourist money is available for events (normaly $1500 for advertising etc) but its a pain to apply.

another idea I have been tossing around is tacking on with the Big Boys Toys expo's, Carlo from WA managed to get to one and get paid to do it!

Our club will come with a demo/ participation game / games (probaly our FIW one) we also have four others available ww1 desert, ww2 eben emanel, wotr and ACW.

Do you have an idea of a date? June long weekend next year?

cheers
Matt
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:11 pm

Thinking about it some more, your idea is exactly what the Brisbane Muster is each year. No competitions, just gamers getting together and putting on games of all sorts. The Muster runs things from Colonial, to WWI, to Dinosaur hunting to Dr Who! with some ACW, RF II and Renaissance thrown in! Now it does not attract a huge crowd by any standard, but it would be just about my favorite event. Anyone can come along and join in a game, plenty of vendors there and trade is brisk! The Muster runs each Easter Weekend. Maybe speak with Jerry from Castaway Arts for some tips! :)

So certainly some potential!

I should add i think the recent event in Melbourne followed the same theme!

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:25 pm

right,excellent..thanks BW and Battlescape..it can be done!!! well BW nothing finally organise, or even begun but...

Phantom Agent

Post by Phantom Agent » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:19 pm

All sounds great, glad of the response. I'm seeing Council on Friday at which time I can get some numbers together....as the Cardinal said, just to cover costs is all were into..and of course promoting wargaming.
At this stage Cardinal & I thought it will be 12 months away.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:23 pm

and clean washed nicely smelling bodies and clothes..

Well that rules out 98% of the wargaming demographic :lol:

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:26 pm

yes, sad that

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:02 pm

The only other thing i would add to my other post is that Brisbane does not really have a half decent historically focussed wargamming event. I am not sure what Melbourne has, but you may be up against a couple of well established ones in Sydney. How that would affect your plans i am not sure.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:17 pm

no nothing historically based here, very fragmented especially as there is no particular retail outlet that has any historical stuff worth speaking of,esoecially in 1/72/20mm WWII and anything much else..her is some sort of anicent comp that is a bit gloomy hall navel gazing going on somewhere..then there is the gong thing..but no showcase events.

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:27 am

There is also, dare I say it, the possibility of somewhere else. Why not look at Wollongong or Newcastle? or Tahmoor or Marulan or Goulburn or my lounge room (saves on travel and the coffee facilities are first rate)

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Bluewillow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:35 am

Goulburn's Hall is free!!!!!!

and of course the Cardinal and myself are very close by :wink: :roll:

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:43 pm

BW in what sense do you mean free?

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Bluewillow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:26 pm

free, no cost as our wargames club is a intra club, so no charge!

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:56 pm

well that is an idea, though Goulburn, wonderful place as it is, I was there today..might not be attractive to the vast bulk of Sydney gamers who are being called into action..mind you a Goulburn version in its own right is a good idea and I am into that..being a local almost..when is the Congress on..?

Phantom Agent

Post by Phantom Agent » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:38 pm

well, talked with council yesterday. At this stage we can't get the main building for a Saturday & Sunday as the Saturday is completely booked out for the rest of this year. Was told that for bookings in 2009, first choice is given to those clubs etc who are continuing to hire for those Saturday's, like what our club gets for the 2nd Sunday of each month. Therefore will not know if a Saturday is available til next year.
Also, to hire the back hall is.....$98.00 per hour...for 2 days is going to be pretty exe...

Grant

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:48 pm

Goulburn suddenly looks a lot better!!

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Bluewillow » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:56 pm

hive you tried the sydney jockey club, or the university or the RSL, most places (like the RSL) would like two days of guys tromping through, I have always thought about approacjing star city as it need to give money to Non profit and charitys every year.

just a thought, you need somewhere close to free parking and or trains buses etc.

cheers
matt

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:21 pm

.....that lets in children and young persons..isn't there a problem with some of these places , they aren't exactly family values friendly..while I don't particularly adhere to , or believe in them much , family values so to speak, I recognise the need to observe the appearance of them in garnering members of the public's support which would be helpful for a venture like this..