American War of Independence Campaign at Cancon???

Plush chairs, maps , light tables and sand trays, efficent WAAFs and crusty Admirals , curtained windows and scrambled phones...the place to talk about the annual big game and those sort of events...and all the recruiting and planning of such
Captn Ewald

Numbers

Post by Captn Ewald » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:19 pm

I am not copping out re planning. We are OK for Brits but need Yanks...so if christo and Great white and all the rest give me a list of what we have I can say what we need, Beyond this,paint as much as you like cause there are never enough militia to shoot at.

The militia figures are to a large degree interchangeable so no need to worry too much. We will need irregulars, light and line...and a few continentals...so don't forget them.

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:27 pm

I think Vaubaner and flags for the lads do flags for militia

I have some unpainted militia somewhere in my lead pile about 80 figs I think, all old glory and conquest.

cheers
matt
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:39 pm

If you are out there christo I reccomend FRont Rank AWI, they are, as we know, very nice and the Conrad approves of them mightily..
http://www.frontrank.com/lev4_3_4_2_AWI ... p?show=all
Last edited by Cardinal Biggles on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captn Ewald

Uniforms

Post by Captn Ewald » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Using descriptions of deserters clothing as a rough rule of thumb only 50% of continentals would be wearing regimental uniforms at anyone time. Given that many regiments changed from brown coats to blue coats over the course of the war the possibilities for mixing uniforms wihtin the one regiment is unlimited.

The field strength of most continental regts was often less 300 and would even fall below 200. By comparison the Brit and hessian regts were robust.

Hunting shirts were worn by many individuals and formed the basis for some continental uniforms. Some regts most famously smallwoods, wore a hunting shirt over their regimentals to avoid being confused as brits.

So you see, even if you have a uniform book, you can paint things as you like and noone can quibble.

Captn Ewald

Front Rank

Post by Captn Ewald » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:06 pm

Very pretty figures and they could all be combined in the one regiment!!!

On this theme people could enlist for a term with the continentals and then turn out for their militia wearing thier old uniform....and then perhaps return to serve with another continental unit...such fun such painting...not at all dull!

frostydog
The Jug
The Jug
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by frostydog » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:32 am

Hary Capt, I was having a look at Adams site and your scenario with the pirate landing etc. Did you scratch build the ship or is it a bought one. You could reuse it for a what if Cornwallis did get his army over to Glouchester Point scenario at Cancon.

Woof
"You defy me! How dare you defy me! Your uppance will come".
Cardinal's award for Purity of Expression and Justifiable Pedantry 2nd class

Captn Ewald

Yorktown

Post by Captn Ewald » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:12 am

Hello frosty...I was speaking with the Prinz about scenarios and we were one battle short of a game...given the difficulty of refighting some battles without the benefit of a too many home rules - a problem for people who walk up to play without much preparation.

the planned breakout is a delightful scenario given it planned but did not occur. Any interest in planning a game frosty as I know you are fond of research.

My proposed variations to 7YW WRG are as follows:

1) the introduction of the unit class of raw militia (an additional minus 2 to all reaction tests)
2) british veteran line infantry move and change formation as if light infantry lines
3) the intioduction of a "saving throw" at Guildford Courhouse for brits given the desperate nature of that action which would have meant that many wounded stayed in the ranks etc ect etc - The Prinz used this rule and it works.

The above should suffice

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:02 am

captn, you will never get anybody providing militia if they are -2, nobody is going to pay big bikkies to have them painted and nobody would bother painting them...people don't like to own -2 figures

frostydog
The Jug
The Jug

Post by frostydog » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:13 pm

You could get some to take -2 militia but they would need to build up some earth works for them to hide behind.

woof

frostydog
The Jug
The Jug

Post by frostydog » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:18 pm

Capn, a great escape scenario does sound like a tempting research project. I have this feeling I started to look into a scenario when I was at Hydro, that was a couple of moves ago may have to search the depths of the archives..

But did you build or buy the boats? If the later where from.

woof

Captn Ewald

Boats & Militia

Post by Captn Ewald » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:08 pm

The boats are all owned by the Prinz and he is on board to the best of my knowledge. Ah yes frosty, your glory days as a lad commuting to sydney and planning the breakout from Yorktown...makes me nostalgic it does!

Dear Cardinal..the category raw militia applies to 2nd rate militia which ran away upon seeing a redcoat such as at Camden and Guildford for that matter. At least 50% are ordinary militia without the additional penalty,,,besides militia and continentals are interchangeable given the absence of uniforms and their rag tag appearance in general. Brown is a lovely colour cardinal...and it comes in sooo many shades!

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:12 pm

Captain they wont belong to me...i was thinking of others..

christo
The Slab
The Slab

Post by christo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:44 am

I like the idea of boats :D

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:54 am

hey christo, made up your mind on the range you want?

Captn Ewald

Planning

Post by Captn Ewald » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:46 am

The Prinz and I are meeting within the next week or two to finalise orders of battle for all of the games so we can come up with a hard figure for tin on table and numbers. We will then publish these on the forum which provide all the info participants should need.

Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:45 pm

Frosty, the boats are 1:72 scale and were scratch built 30 years ago. The larger is a cutter and the smaller a gondola, both from Arnold`s Lake flotilla and used at the Battle of Valcour Island 1776.
Also in the flotilla are American floating batteries from the Delaware in 1777 and Boston Harbour in 1775.
Had always intended to get a British sloop done, but never did.
If you are interested in building a fleet, check out the Old Glory web-site. Nice boats, much bigger than mine (28mm scale), expensive but at least there is now a favourable exchange rate.
Last edited by Pz. Ferdinand on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:42 am

After meeting with the Cardinal and Prinz this morning over coffee, I have taken the plunge and ordered 25 packs of American militia. Looks like the rollercoaster is about to start..... :)

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:33 pm

umm Perry's ?

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Perrys. Will need to order more if anyone wants to come in on the order

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:47 pm

well I think the great white Christo should get some

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:28 pm

What, Militia?

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:37 pm

well some of those and the Pz. said some highlanders are needed..some good guys and bad guys..

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:05 pm

waiting to hear from Christo............

christo
The Slab
The Slab

Post by christo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:54 pm

GWZ put me down for an order :)
happy to jump in

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:36 pm

But what do you want?