American War of Independence Campaign at Cancon???

Plush chairs, maps , light tables and sand trays, efficent WAAFs and crusty Admirals , curtained windows and scrambled phones...the place to talk about the annual big game and those sort of events...and all the recruiting and planning of such
Captn Ewald

American War of Independence Campaign at Cancon???

Post by Captn Ewald » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:53 pm

Given the apparent interest in the AWI I was thinking that a three day event at Cancon next year may be a possibility.

Option 1: Historic Refights
Day 1: Battle of Camden
Day 2: Battle of Cowpens
Day 3: Guildford Courthouse

Option 2: Mini Campaign
A refight of the Camden campaign or Guildford Courthouse or whatever people feel like.

The scale of each battle would be 1:25.
Preferred rule set options are WRG 7YW amendments, or WRG Aus edition which perhaps could be added as a hybrid to 7YW or maybe even dear old Tricorn (Adam stones 7YW version of Elan). Anyway...any interest out there?

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Yes please!

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:21 pm

yes but British Grenadier for me!

Scott Robinson and me are doing something for Moab this year, either FIW or AWI.

cheers
Matt
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:06 pm

I like the sound of that, Captn Ewald.

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:58 am

What should I put together?

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:02 am

greatwhitezulu wrote:What should I put together?
do you have some of these? Front Rank ans Perry do a fine selection ...I know everbody loves Old Glory but to my eyes they are all wrong..(me being a bit mild)

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 am

Foundry & Perry figs - None of this OG for me!

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:49 pm

don't forget eureka
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:01 pm

I am not getting involved Revolting Colonists don't do it for me..

Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:03 pm

Captn Ewald, how would you see this working? The three battles you`ve mentioned are all pretty small scale affairs - usually 1-2 two players a side only. Are you contemplating an AWI group of about 4 people using one table throughout the weekend? You might find that more than that would like to be involved as it offers an alternative to the competitive type game. If more than that would like to be involved, would you contemplate more than one table? If so, would you then branch out into more than AWI battles?

I can see great scope here for an event which is non-competitive and perhaps a bit of an interest spinner by putting more emphasis on terrain and historicity than a straight competition.Good to see interest from experienced convention demo games organisers like Blue Willow and GWZ.

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:30 pm

I can certainly provide some terrain if need be. I am a bit light on buildings in this scale -only 3 - Although I have been working on Chew House on and off. The resin has so many holes to fill!

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:32 pm

Cardinal,

Go on. You know you want to do it. You were telling me the other day how you enjoy painting Brits :lol:

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Fog off...hate the little buggers!!! you get me to do brits and I up the price..

Captn Ewald

AWI @ Cancon

Post by Captn Ewald » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Thanks for the offer of terrain oh Great White Zulu. Much appreciated I have rubber terrain and the Prinz has lots of he is in the mood to travel. You should paint rebels as there were more of them.

Well Prinz, the scale of the event will be determined by numbers. I agree that most battles are two a side events although the americans could be stretched to three at Camden etc.

As an alternative Eutaw Springs could be added to the list on day two, if an extra battle is needed cause the demand is so high. Similarly, it may be possible to refight one of the smaller battles in skirmish format...you have scencario notes for all of the above Prinz?

I will see what the response is and plan accordingly. A board game on Cornwallis Southern Campaign was published some year ago. It may serve as the basis for a mini campaign depending on how people view things. Does anyone have it?

You could be a Frenchman Cardinal as they did appear in theatre...or so rumour has it. So need to be a whig or a Tory for that matter.!

The Prinz and I prefer some derivative of WRG (as does frosty dog who may be a starter), so it is unliklely that Grenadier will be the set...Great to see the interest.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:54 pm

well a version of WRG will definately keep me away, terrible rules according to Conrad, and he knows about these things..

Captn Ewald

Rules Rules Rules

Post by Captn Ewald » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Hello Cardinal. Alas to say the Prinz, myself the Chef and frosty have our figures based for WRG/Elan etc etc. As do several other comrades who may be tempted to attend.

Tricorn is a nice system and is battalion based which is the only sensibe way to play awi given the small size of the actions. Our Zulu friend has no objection and is ordering Foundry on line as we speak...so...just buy a bag of olg glory figures...paint them a nice pretty brown or white and you will start to smile!

The Prinz likes WRG and he is seldom wrong...isn't that right Prinz????

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:54 pm

For what its worth, I like WRG. Even went to the extent many years ago of doing an AWI version. Then couldn't find anyone to play :cry:

All my War of 1812 is based for WRG. I may be able to pull some of the irregulars out of that. There was even one American unit in 1812 kitted out as AWI Continentals. Needless to say they didn't last that way very long. Been sorely tempted to put that unit together :)

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:59 pm

the GWZ is buying Foundry AWI?...has the man no shame?

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by greatwhitezulu » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:12 pm

No shame, no conscience, no ethics, no remorse. Goes with the job. Actually, one remorse but lets not go there........

christo
The Slab
The Slab

Post by christo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:22 pm

What do i need to get involved in this madness :)

Captn Ewald

Madness

Post by Captn Ewald » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:33 pm

Consider yourself involved Christo.

An AWI set of rules oh great white. A friday nite game is a must

Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Wow,there is a lot happening here tonight so, let me see........

Firstly, to the Cardinal;
WRG-
As a rule set, it shouldn`t put you off because Black Bob does quite well with them and there won`t be large numbers of 6 man cavalry regts hooning about as there were at Leuthen.Also, the format Captn Ewald is talking about would be conducive to even a half day participation, and I know for a fact you can survive that.
AWI Brits-
Very unkind comment to GWZ! The AWI Brit uniform is very nice-probably their best of the 18thC.You should enjoy painting them for GWZ!

Secondly, to Captn Ewald-
Yes, I do have scenario notes for all those games if I can find them in my rat infested and severely varicosed roof space
It`s nice of you to say that I am seldom wrong but I suspect that if this was indeed the case that I wouldn`t have lost an entire American tank battalion today in two game turns (but that is another story).

Thirdly, to Christo -
The AWI armies mentioned by other correspondents are in building or planning, so to make a Cancon AWI thing work- we`re going to need troops.As the good captain says, there were more Rebels than redcoats (something that might explain the war`s outcome) and if you were to be able to paint some Americans,particularly Militia (even only 2-3 bns) that
would be a big step in the right direction.My AWI stuff is all plastic and so, not of assistance.

ps Captn, who is 'the Chef'?
Last edited by Pz. Ferdinand on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captn Ewald

The Chef?

Post by Captn Ewald » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:37 am

Hello Prinz. The chef...well he did yjr vsteringfor your games weekend...f course, I should have said Chef d' battalion or something like that as he does peruse this site or so I am told.

I a away for the next two days lads so need some indication...mini campaign or historic refights?

We could do two refights a day Prinz if we throw in Savannah and Hobkirks Hill on top of the list already submitted. That should be sufficient to cope with 6 to 8 players which may be a reasonable expectation given the flurry of demand.

Off to the North Coast to do some sittings...

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:54 am

I am not getting involved, except...

christo
The Slab
The Slab

Post by christo » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:58 am

Cardinal I need to get some Militia painted up can we discuss when next we meet :D