Are wargames uncles needed?

Plush chairs, maps , light tables and sand trays, efficent WAAFs and crusty Admirals , curtained windows and scrambled phones...the place to talk about the annual big game and those sort of events...and all the recruiting and planning of such
Mal wright
A Middy
A Middy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Are wargames uncles needed?

Postby Mal wright » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:20 am

For the huge FESTIVAL OF HISTORY (March 9th & 10th) we are running in South Australia next year...with its DRUMROLL wargames convention attached one committee has passed a resolution that each wargames club be asked to appoint an 'Uncle' to encourage some of those players that need it, to take a shower reasonably close to the event. The Uncles should also be equipped with a range of deodorant types and be conversant in their use in order to councel those who might be unfamiliar with the practice of using one. :lol:

Do you think this might be a tactful way of overcoming some of the ..... ummmmm ...... rather ripe air hanging around at some conventions? As one person said, the competitions area of CANCON was rather on the nose this year.

It seems to be a problem in the hobby as you read complaints of it from all countries.
Mal.
Salus populi suprema lex

Cardinal Biggles

Re: Are wargames uncles needed?

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:37 am

reminds me of Joseph Heller's Catch -22, in the Nateley's Whore chapter
The middle-aged big shots would not let Nately's whore leave until they made her say uncle.
"Say uncle," they said to her.

"Uncle," she said.

"No, no. Say uncle."

"Uncle," she said.

"She still doesn't understand."

"You still don't understand, do you? We can't really make you say uncle unless you don't want to say uncle. Don't you see? Don't say uncle when I tell you to say uncle. Okay? Say uncle."

"Uncle," she said.

"No, don't say uncle. Say uncle."

She didn't say uncle.

"That's good!"

"That's very good."

"It's a start. Now say uncle."

"Uncle," she said.

"It's no good."

"No, it's no good that way either. She just isn't impressed with us. There's just no fun making her say uncle when she doesn't care whether we make her say uncle or not."

"No, she really doesn't care, does she? Say foot."

"Foot."

"You see? She doesn't care about anything we do. She doesn't care about us. We don't mean a thing to you, do we?"

"Uncle," she said.

She didn't care about them a bit, and it upset them terribly. They shook her roughly each time she yawned . . . Each time she slumped over with her eyes closed they shook her awake and made her say 'uncle' again. Each time she said 'uncle,' they were disappointed.

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:01 pm

The short answer is therefore no though some rather questionable concepts are raised in the original post. Discussing this post tonight with the Goulburn crew did bring some chuckles, backed up with the odd boisterous guffaw and "he said what?" to the dinner proceedings.We all had a good laugh.

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby greatwhitezulu » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:21 pm

So, has the resolution been passed, or merely proposed?

Either way, I think it a damned silly idea, although I understand the sentiment behind it. Perhaps you should limit it to 40K players.
No Longer The Maharajah of Golconda
But still THE Greatwhitezulu
The Liberator, The Sitting Thunder
The Bull Elephant, Breaker of Tyrants
The Cunning Leopard, Father of the Sky
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Mal wright
A Middy
A Middy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Postby Mal wright » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:19 am

It was passed unanimously.

Mind you....the subject brought on considerable recall of 'unhappy experiences' from the members and a lot of nervous laughter about events different people had attended in the past.

It was a serious motion, to try to find a way of getting some known to the applicable parties, to sort of give a friendly tip along the lines of personal freshness without being too insulting!

The problem is true of all wargames events apparently. I have often seen posts on various lists mentioning it from all over the world. One was a complaint about the nose stunning air at Salute in the UK and the possible targeting of people wearing Anoraks for delousing!

The proposal was a genuine attempt to try to solve it as politely as possible. Our big convention will be in the hot weather, crowded halls....you know the drill! :wink:
Mal.
Salus populi suprema lex

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:21 am

very uncle Ernie, that teaching them the rudiments of the shower business..get you a stint in Cooma Gaol for sure..

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:29 am

seriously I think any collection of mostly obese , socially inept, male wargamers grouped shoulder to shoulder in a poorly ventilated hall during the middle of summer would begin to go off failry early showered or not. The teenagers of today are surprisingly clean as far as I can tell...it is an effort to stop them from spraying themselves ( and others)with deodorant at any , and many times a day..
I imagine any "uncle" trying to do the patronising thing would be accorded a well deserved punch on the nose., and earned it.

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby greatwhitezulu » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:29 am

I hate to say it, but I do agree with the Cardinal. It is an issue that is likely to rebound in a bad way - even if its just a case of people deciding not to turn up next year.
No Longer The Maharajah of Golconda
But still THE Greatwhitezulu
The Liberator, The Sitting Thunder
The Bull Elephant, Breaker of Tyrants
The Cunning Leopard, Father of the Sky
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:11 pm

a rare moment of concord, open the champagne!!

Return to “The Chiefs of Staff Lounge”