Bugger!

Plush chairs, maps , light tables and sand trays, efficent WAAFs and crusty Admirals , curtained windows and scrambled phones...the place to talk about the annual big game and those sort of events...and all the recruiting and planning of such
paintpig
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 93

Bugger!

Postby paintpig » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

I settled down to do some painting on my own toys today (being a Sunday the commission work can wait) so I laid out my projects and decided to make a start on the la Bricole challenge/Eylau demo game pieces, a Russian command stand. I had cleaned and primed the horses during the week and after a final check mounted them on their painting blocks chose my colour's and started getting some pigment down, so far so good, telly with the V8's to one side, she who must be restrained out doing SES stuff all day and glorious sunshine lighting up the studio beautifully, couldn't ask for more.

As the sun moved over to the west I turned my desk lamp on as the room darkened a little, the horses were coming along well the layering was looking quite nice and the muscle tone was starting to pop, a bit more highlighting and it would be perfect, my version of perfect that is. I had thinned the paint right down to layer on the highlights and it was working a treat!

I didn't really notice the room darkening as I was working under the lamp final highlights done, time to put the veggies on for the Sunday roast got them ready and in the oven had a coffee and went back into the studio for an inspection. By now it was dark so all the lights were turned on, imagine my surprise (go on) when I noticed a sparkle on the two chestnuts, bit glossy I thought, as I picked them up for a look the sparkle and glints were moving on the horse models, hmmm, the right colour looks OK why the sparkle?

I'll end this cautionary tale with with a bit of a painting tip, always put your metallic paints away after using them, particularly if you have gold tones that for all intents and purposes look like your browns when in the bottle!
regards
Dave

The fig v fig blog: from bayonets to breechloaders
The iNation blog: the hesse-kassoulet kronicles

Paul
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Re: Bugger!

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:09 pm

:lol: Just put wings on them and they can be used as "my little ponies"
Done the same thing myself...based with brown with the intention of ending up with a nice gold finish..slowly added gold to the mix..then without due care or attention i painted plain brown over the top again. Repeating the process didn´t work ..the layers would have hiden any detail..the fig needed stripping back to bare plastic...!!!!!!!
RARO SENEX MUTAT SENTENTIAM

Paul's Bods

Federation of Bodstonia

Ross
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Postby Ross » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:47 pm

hehe woops

Haven't actually done that myself. Worst was an earlier experience in my painting was washing metals out of my brushes then continuing painting and using the same water to gain irritating little metalic flakes on my toys.
I suppose if I was painting a vampire I could have claimed it was some sort of ode to Twilight.

paintpig
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 93

Postby paintpig » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:15 am

They are now swimming in dettol Paul :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ross you don't mean that Twilight surely, and I had you pegged for a man of refinement and good taste :roll: :P
regards
Dave

The fig v fig blog: from bayonets to breechloaders
The iNation blog: the hesse-kassoulet kronicles

Ross
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Postby Ross » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:48 pm

paintpig wrote:I had you pegged for a man of refinement and good taste :roll: :P

haha wouldn't go that far :D

Like most men, I'm afflicted with the curse of a partner who has no taste :lol:

Return to “The Chiefs of Staff Lounge”