CANCON 2010 - SYW event

Plush chairs, maps , light tables and sand trays, efficent WAAFs and crusty Admirals , curtained windows and scrambled phones...the place to talk about the annual big game and those sort of events...and all the recruiting and planning of such
Fotherington Thrip

CANCON 2010 - SYW event

Post by Fotherington Thrip » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:58 pm

G'day Guys,

Well I did make it to CANCON 09 and catch up with a lot of you which was great. Got to talking to a bunch of guys about the possibility of coming back to CANCON for 2010 and having a SYW component of the Horse and Musket crew using my Pro Gloria rules. 800 points as per the army lists on the Canister and Grape webpage.

I have garnered support from Doug W, George S, Andy R, Rob H, Doug P, Ian T, Paul N, Mike M and possibly a few others to play as well so some good vibes so far. Damned if I know what your monikers are on here but you know who you are! :)

I have a new set of reference sheets ready to go and Mike will put them on the C & G website soon.

Looking at primarily a SYW event (although Marlburian and other Tricorned armies will be able to join in) and like the 2005 bash looking at more of a round robin round of games for a civilised weekend of fun. Larger battles can be organised closer to the event but at the moment it is obviously raising the banner phase.

Naturally a night out for beers, burning lumps of cow meat and tales of table top derring do is on the cards at such venues as O'Malleys or the Kingo are a must.

Early days yet obviously but I need the time to get cracking painting my SYW French. :)

Cheers

Adam

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Re: CANCON 2010 - SYW event

Post by greatwhitezulu » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:59 pm

Adam,

Do you have a link to the page?
No Longer The Maharajah of Golconda
But still THE Greatwhitezulu
The Liberator, The Sitting Thunder
The Bull Elephant, Breaker of Tyrants
The Cunning Leopard, Father of the Sky
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:03 pm

sounds interesting yes FT a link would work wonders..

Fotherington Thrip

Post by Fotherington Thrip » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:40 pm

Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:03 am

Painting French? Does this mean your Prussians are now complete? Would love to see some photos of them if you could post.

The Swedes will be there in force for 2010!

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:06 am

huzzah the Pz.'s Swedes!!!!!

Captn Ewald

Post by Captn Ewald » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:49 pm

My Hessians are on the march and they will have Brits for company...I assume an AWI will be welcome?! 8) 8) 8)

Fotherington Thrip

Post by Fotherington Thrip » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Yes AWI are welcome as are troops from the Wars of the Austrian, Bavarian and Spanish Successions using the lists on the webpage as the basis for your armies.

As I obviously hope to play my thinking is to try and get some historical matchups going whenever possible and have a round robin rather than have a competition proper with 1st - 3rd etc. The format can be individual games 1st day and pairs or triples the 2nd day but we can discuss that over the next few months.

With the night out it is to gather a bunch of like minded gamers for a fun weekend especially as some of us will be travelling interstate. As I said before beers, cooked meat, laughs, pushing around luvverly SYW figures and rolling of the D6 is my prime objective.

Yes I still have my 800 points of Prussians done and push come to shove I can use them instead of my French. But I really want to get my French done so I have 2 SYW armies to play over here in WA and then I will have the incentive to paint my Hanovarians. All Front Rank with GMB flags.

You can see some of my Prussians and other great figures on the Canister and Grape website here http://home.exetel.com.au/millsy/canist ... os_syw.htm - Great pictures and a really good battle - even though my side lost! :)

Adam

Bagration

Post by Bagration » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:28 pm

The Naveau SYW (Front Rank) Russians (based on the Kunersdorf orbat) will be taking the field for this. Will be their first outing and in all probability they will have to look around to find powder for their wigs AND their muskets..and then get the two mixed up...hilarity ensuing

...still looking for flags for them - I assume GMB does the right flags?

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Graf Luckner

Post by Graf Luckner » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Ahh Fothers Ole Chap (Adam),

One suggets I, as a frequenter of this fine establishment, can pass on any relevant titbits to those of the southern climes (Doug W etc etc), being in whoevers employ that pays the most and all.

I too will be asking the Prince for grace of leave to partake of your plans in 2010.

The Hanoverian lads, finest Germanic stock one could meet, have spent way too long in their northern bastion to not travel the southern route.

I look forward to the travel, the comraderie and to wax those Frenchies and give them a good ole fashion thrashing.

Cheers
The Count

(Quote; Damned if I know what your monikers are)

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:32 pm

Graf Luckner wrote:Ahh Fothers Ole Chap (Adam),

One suggets I, as a frequenter of this fine establishment, can pass on any relevant titbits to those of the southern climes (Doug W etc etc), being in whoevers employ that pays the most and all.

I too will be asking the Prince for grace of leave to partake of your plans in 2010.

The Hanoverian lads, finest Germanic stock one could meet, have spent way too long in their northern bastion to not travel the southern route.

I look forward to the travel, the comraderie and to wax those Frenchies and give them a good ole fashion thrashing.

Cheers
The Count

(Quote; Damned if I know what your monikers are)
if you and Cap'n Ewald play each other I want the DVD of the game..just for the circumloquacious and ever so fruity dialogue

Fotherington Thrip

Post by Fotherington Thrip » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:47 am

Cardinal I checked out that website and while the lists look good are there any pictures of the flags? I couldn't see any.

Pretty sure GMB do Russian flag though although the is pretty slow doing Cavalry flags.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:36 pm

no he hasn't pics but I have bought, Palatine, Saxon, British, Hanoverian, Prussian and Piedmontese,Swedes, from him, also he customised some for the Kopf-Schlagers and I am most happy with them