so what is MOAB?

Plush chairs, maps , light tables and sand trays, efficent WAAFs and crusty Admirals , curtained windows and scrambled phones...the place to talk about the annual big game and those sort of events...and all the recruiting and planning of such
Cacadores

so what is MOAB?

Post by Cacadores » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:35 am

What's MOAB like then: is it all Southern Battle Gamers competition gaming or do other clubs put on show games too?

Anyone else from here going?

Cardinal Biggles

Re: MOAB Urban War

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:55 am

mostly comp stuff, a few displays, I am going to be there for two days so I will big it up pic wise ..it has the most wicked bring and buy in the Southern Hemisphere

arnhem_chris

Post by arnhem_chris » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:39 am

"Most wicked bring and buy in the southern hemisphere" .... eh .... and to think the show organisers didn't want it at first ;)
Last edited by arnhem_chris on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:55 am

well that can be understood in one sense , a shed load of quite annoying of work for a few people..and I don't wish to accuse in any way the organisers of any indiscretions but the last time I sold there I had about 10% of my stuff go missing by the middle of the third say, unrecorded in anyway.. around $160 worth ..I had an awful lot of packs of figures, easily held in the hand or slipped into the pocket..so there are light fingered types everywhere..

arnhem_chris

Post by arnhem_chris » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:11 am

I believe that the blurb, explains that the organisers cannot be held responsible for losses (at least it did when I organised it many moons ago), tho' the guys on the stand, do try and keep an eye on things, its not always possible with the speed that things go on, and the amount of people milling about for a peek, and unfortunately there are some dishonest types in the hobby :( .... I'm afraid that this is going to happen occasionally, however well run a bring and buy is :( ..... maybe you'd be better off setting yourself up as a 'trade' stand and flogging it from there .... where you can keep an eye on it?
I'm also afraid this is not limited to the 'bring and buy' world tho' either .... I know of a trader who stopped attending Leviathan, because he lost a few packs of figures from his stand during the show (pilfered by some 'oik' no doubt), and hence he stopped attending the show altogether ... I'm afraid this sorta thing just happens, if you attend and sell at shows, either as a trader or on the 'bring and buy' there is a chance you will have some stuff stolen .... its not good, but it is probably a sign of the times :( ..... maybe stuff needs to be packed in less maneagable sizes .... problem with that, is the comensurate increase in the amount of stuff in one package, and then hence the increase in price for one 'lot' ... making selling it that little bit harder?

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:18 am

I wasn't suggesting the organisers were in any way resposible, or irresponsible as the case may be

arnhem_chris

Re: so what is MOAB?

Post by arnhem_chris » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:32 am

Anyway, to answer the original question, re whats MOAB like .... it IS Sydney's PREMIER wargames show, as shown by the fact that many VIC traders only show up to this one show a year ..... its a bit out of the way (for some), unfortunately, being down in Sylvania in Sydneys southern suburbs, with Gymea being the nearest rail link.

As for the show itself, it does have a large competition bias, but the initial image as you walk in the door normally is of traders and demo/participation games, of which the Southern Battlegamers normally put on at least two, sometimes four, with generally a couple of other clubs running some sort of participation game also, I'd say almost 1/2 the main hall (between the traders against each wall that is) is made up of demo/participation games, with the rest of the main hall dedicated to comp games, along with the stage, a room behind the stage, some more rooms above that, a gallery, rooms under the main hall, and a scout hut nearby ... so yes there are quite a few comp games, but also a good amount of eye-candy (for gamers anyway), and participations.

Chris (da pom)

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:54 am

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:59 pm

I will be there with a FIW participation game :P
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:53 pm

and Conrad will be there representing Battlescape

Zepnix Games

Post by Zepnix Games » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:55 am

And I'll be there doing Urban War stuff.....

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:07 am

I think I'll just be there.

I could go as a representative of the gin-swilling classes.

frostydog
The Jug
The Jug
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by frostydog » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:40 pm

Same here Ill just be there. Browsing, buying, hiding purchases for the grubby hands of the heir to the throne. Usual really.

M
"You defy me! How dare you defy me! Your uppance will come".
Cardinal's award for Purity of Expression and Justifiable Pedantry 2nd class