Arnhem/Nijmegen game price

Plush chairs, maps , light tables and sand trays, efficent WAAFs and crusty Admirals , curtained windows and scrambled phones...the place to talk about the annual big game and those sort of events...and all the recruiting and planning of such

price

<$5
10%
<$5
10%
$6 -> $10
10%
$6 -> $10
10%
$11 -> $20
No votes
$11 -> $20
No votes
$21 -> $30
10%
$21 -> $30
10%
$31+
20%
$31+
20%

Total votes: 10

arnhem_chris

Arnhem/Nijmegen game price

Post by arnhem_chris » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:32 pm

Ok here you can tell me what you think playing this game in Goulburn, ought to be worth/cost for you the players ... In know u'd all like it to be as cheap as possible, but after the cost of the Arnhem table, I'd like to not take such a hit ($'s) on further tables .... Bluewillow thought this would be a kind of way for gamers to 'sponsor' a show demo table of the quality (I'd like to think) of the Arnhem table ..... so this is basically trying to check the viability of this, as well as arranging a damn good time on nice terrain, to be had by all :)

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Re: Arnhem/Nijmegen game price

Post by Bluewillow » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:53 pm

we are talking a serious show here,

12 meters of tables and terrain, and the kit all the figs in 20mm, two whole days of gaming the campaign.

I was thinking a full package including accom, food, and gaming $90 - 150 maybe?

Chris and I have just started to nut this one out for next year, so any thought would be appreciated.

A few thoughts, plan to have media presence, local schools, ANU history dept and ADFA and Duntroon colleges involved.

cheers
Matt
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:23 pm

Well it would be a fine centre point for a convention but charging to play in one game while not charging for play in others presents a bit of a conundrum here and is possibly a bit counter productive....and if you charge all the people who play in demo games will it result in nobody coming to play?... I don't mean to undermine any moves here, having myself been seriously out of pocket and time putting on a demo game ...but I just can't see the practicality of charging people to play..a very foreign notion in the Australian scene...now an advertising sponsorship from one or more of the business in the hobby..wear their Tshirt, hand out their catalogue? or an advertisement for a second , later private weekend, al l wargames weekend ..anyway I think actually charging is going to be a problem...maybe ask for donations? or?... but for the life of me I can't get away from the notion that games like this are labours of love and you can never recover your costs...I just think paying to play in a convention style event, which isn't exactly what Arnhem-chris is suggesting any way , is not going to work...paying to play in a wargames weekend event , as a package, would probably work but then a Goulburn convention loses a major drawcard..

arnhem_chris

Post by arnhem_chris » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:42 pm

I think I should try and make a point here .... I'm not trying to make money from this, just recoup some of the major expense that organising/building the terrain for this would take ... I would expect to still be seriously out of pocket ;) ..... it would indeed run as a demo game, with a small chance of participation (as per Arnhem) at some shows ...... but in this case we (Me and BW) are talking about a whole weekend, where you would get a dedicated command (or maybe more depending how quick you get your first command mauled!), on, I would like to think, well built terrain ... fun to be had by all :) ... I'm even contemplating using some of my Market Garden Boardgames, to decide when exactly 30 Corps would arrive ;) ... thought that might/could be played before the event, and the tabletop players would get some sitreps/position reports of 30 corps advance ;) ..... but not be told when exactly it would pop up in miniature form ;) .. the point is, the weekend at Goulburn .... would be dedicated to PURELY this game, no other distractions ;)

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:01 pm

no never thought you were trying to make money..what an amazing thing that would be..and i was rather pre empting the con vention thing...I understand it to be a wargames weekend thing and think that is a fantastic idea and Goulburn is a perfect place to do it...as for a convention , it could be set up as a static display , possibly as a very good advertisement for the wargame's weekend, or series of weekends , you know the sort of thing, contact setc, so people could see it , and I am sure it wouild convince them..the concept may appeal to the AWI mini campaign persons as well, get enough to cover their costs and accomodation at a parrallel, or even the same , Wargames weekend...this is a bit of a good idea..Why not ACW and ....etc..anyway A-C a rather left field but very clever idea... especially if we can make the connection between the two styles of event ...brilliant!!!!

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:06 pm

I think offered as a package is the way to go..Friday night drinkies..Saturday breakfast in The Roses, kick off , Freshen up, dinner oin that fancy restaurant that christo likes..(it looks the part) sunday bash on finish up with coffee and...everybody goes home.. a bit like what Tyberius does but drawing on a more diverse clientale and all mod cons laid on...actually A-C the investment in getting all the troops together would defeat any plans to make a profit..

wargameroz
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by wargameroz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:14 am

well I already have all the 1st british Airborne and nearly all of the Polish brigade along with 2 US PIR's and various support
the person who dies with the most unfinished stuff
wins

arnhem_chris

Post by arnhem_chris » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:26 am

wargameroz,

but which smocks do you have the U.S. para's in ..... Normandy or Holland? ;) let me know what additional support bits you have also? :)

The polish would be cool tho', we never needed many of them for the Arnhem game (only playing the North Side of the Neder Rijn) except for a few A/T bits which glidered in (to hell,crossfire pretty much), but If the Bettuwe table is added, then we would need them at Driel :)

Chris :) ..... its staring to sound like this could take off as an idea :D

wargameroz
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by wargameroz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:05 am

A-C

not entirely accurate I will be the first to admit. i have done them using Humbrol 150, was never able to find a colour i like, have tried fiddling with Vallejo (sp) but it just doesn't do it for me. Now that Humbrol acrylics are becoming available I might give them a try one day but am also moving towards the testors Modelmaster stuff.

okay I have unmade some US 105mm airborne pieces and some kelly's Heros crew for them half done, 8 recce jeeps (the idea is a PIR from 101 & 82nd ergo recce from each Div) also 75mm units for both divs.

polish are lacking about 10 figs and also the antitank guns at this point in time. I am waiting on Battlefield to produce :roll: :roll: :? :cry: :cry: the new Polish & British para's that they have had masters for for about 4 years. TQD/Stronghold will have their Polish Para's out soon and that will give a bit more variety. May have to resort to AB with some head swops for the Polish at guys.

also have all the infantry for 43rd wessex but vehicles only half done plus all the Guards infantry and 3/4 vehicles.

I am guessing that you are looking at next September however due to committments on the MC of GDSFA I am limited to time these days. basically January through to September are wiped out, lucky to get 2 hours a week painting done. Also have the Mick Sewell scratchbuilt Oosterbeck Church and a large Russian factory taht with a bit of imagination could be used as the brickworks
wins

arnhem_chris

Post by arnhem_chris » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:15 am

Wargameroz

The buildings are not a problem ;) .... the Arnhem buildings were about 1/2 of my building 1-72/20mm collection, and Oosterbeek Church etc, was already on that table ;) problem generally is getting enough figures together ... I generally figure a regiment/brigade of any singular type of figure is enough for nealy any normal game of RF, anytbing more than that will bnever see the light of day again IMO, hence for Arnhem with the British Para/Glider troops we had three people supply a Brigade + some divisional elements each (the three being myself, Brad and Dean) .... we didn't need the Polish Brigade for that game ;), I generally figure the same for the U.S. Para's .... get some gamers together, do a P.I.R. each and some support elements :) ..... so basically 82nd Airborne needs 4 players input :( .... prob with U.S Airborne is the uniform change between Normandy and Holland ..... a lot of gamers, understandably want to do U.S. Paras for Normandy ..... I myself will (at some point) be doing a platoon of Normandy U.S. Para's, but in 28mm ... for another project I keep meaning to work on ;)

Chris
Chris

wargameroz
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by wargameroz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:14 am

well as long as people don't mind yank para's ingreen then that's okay. I have become so impressed with the KH US para's that they will probably end up as aPIR in their own right and just remembered I have what could be used as a GIR as well, but then you know me never do anything small :lol:
wins

wargameroz
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by wargameroz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:17 am

oh and probably have a lot of the germans as well, certainly most of the 107 Panzer Brigade and KH do some Kreigsmarine types so I have 1 bn of them finished in a hodgepodge of uniforms and while there are some bits missing Andy is pretty good and very open to suggestions.
wins

arnhem_chris

Post by arnhem_chris » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 am

I already have 107th Panzer Brigade ...... used them for that 'Nicht Remagen Brucke' game a few years ago at MOAB, tho' I have NO Kriegsmarine stuff .... could be useful to use for some for the Von Tettau stuff on the Arnhem table, freeing up some of those jerries for use from the Reichwald on the Nijmegen table ;)

wargameroz
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by wargameroz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:43 am

There were 4 Naval units used from what I can see so I must admit i could probably be persuaded to do all of them as I really like the KH Kreigsmarine stuff
wins

arnhem_chris

Post by arnhem_chris » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:04 pm

Be careful what you volunteer for ;)

..... that sounds good to me ..... get painting! ;)

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Bluewillow » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:38 pm

I have one kreigmarine btn unpainted, do i add that to the pile!

arnhem_chris

Post by arnhem_chris » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:40 pm

I'll have to check the M-G OB's before I commit you to a yes ;)

wargameroz
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by wargameroz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:24 pm

I actually have the RF book here with me at work (sad I know) and from what I can see yes there were 4 units of varying types from the Kreigsmarine.

BW what brand are your KG figs, I thought Kelly's hero's where the only ones to make them
wins

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Bluewillow » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:35 pm

blitz battlefeild figs from memory

cheers
matt

mick
A Pony
A Pony
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Post by mick » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:39 am

Chris I have a British Airborne brigade and Anti tank Guns both 17pdr and 6pdrs. I also have some US Paras and support and of course Germans. I think the answer to the amount of figures is do what they do for the big games in the UK. allocate commands and they supply the trops and weapons etc. A game this size needs to be a joint effort. i ma sure there are plenty of gamers out there willing to provide figures etc.
Mick

Tyberius
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by Tyberius » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:23 pm

Since 2006 I've used my long weekends to take the kids camping or to visit inland towns so I tend not to be available any more for Tournament events. The kids expect their Dad to be cycling with them not playing miniature games.

So good luck with this game, I actually wish I could play, but my kids come first and I really overcommitted myself for all those years prior to 2006.

If it isn't a long weekend, please let me know as I can provide:.

Welsh Guards Battle group

2nd Armoured Battalion Welsh Guards
(Lieutenant Colonel J.C. Windsor-Lewis)
(Elite)

HQ
Cromwell 75mm
Cromwell 95mm
2 Stuart
Cromwell ARV
Humber scout car

3 Squadrons Each with Challenger, 2 * Cromwell 75mm

82nd Airborne