Forum Suggestions?

Introduce yourself, say hello, or engage in a Tavern Foyer chit chat!
Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Forum Suggestions?

Post by Admin Fella » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Hello all

As per the title, please feel free to post any suggestions up for expanding, consolidating and otherwise updating the forum. It has been some time since this has happened and it is well due. :)

regards
Mathew

Chuckie
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 94

Re: Forum Suggestions?

Post by Chuckie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Mathew.
Received your email about making this Forum work for 2017. 100% agree and will try to up my output.
I would personally hate for this to fall by the way side as it has supplied me with guidance and drive for a few years.
I still have the email that I saved when I was granted permission to this place - can still remember the excitement.

I do trawl through the FB like others but for some strange reason this is home to me.

FB does not have the personality and the vibe that this does.

Between us we can let the magic happen for 2017 and beyond.

Regards to all.
Ross

nevermore
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by nevermore » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 am

I am happy posting as much as i can, always a friendly forum this one.No change from me i like it the way it is.

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Captain Darling » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:17 pm

I'm not a Facebook or Twitter person hell setting up my Blog was a leap :D!

Discussion Forums are good you can casually trawl through them...

I think the Forum is basically sound.

Two things off the top of my head would be...

* in the Tavern area or somewhere on the front page could you summarise the current day's posts with links to them?

* emails like your reminder one would be good maybe include links to latest posts? Send them occasionally to peak interest..

Cheers...oh Happy Straylia Day!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporiu ... pot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Post by Dropbear » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Just returned from firing a 21 gun salute in Melbourne... really looking forward to not having to work on Australia day some day so I can enjoy a BBQ and a relaxing day.

Re Facebook - I use it as a source of news, but don't like it when it comes trying to use it as a hobby discussion.

Google groups is even worse.

I use twitter for a few things, but that is mainly to do with things from Japan, as I can type in Japanese using my phone, something I can't do with my PC. One of my other hobbies as a bit on twitter, but wargaming is really not a twitter thing it seems.

Twitter is good to share basic info and or links to reach an audience; to show that something has happened on the forum to draw them in. A brief bit of info, a link and maybe an image is all you need.

Ideas about the forum:

If the forum could be jazzed up a bit, that might help - eye candy for people to see when they log in. This type of forum is very hard to have the eye candy though - my very similar zombie wargame forum to this one died in the back side last year, and I am about to delete it all.

Wordpress lets you make a fairly jazzy forum, but I don't know if it is free or not. But would mean starting a forum from scratch.

You can motivate people to post, but unless there is a good group of members making posts all of the time, then there isn't much you can do. The sad thing about forums is the number of lurkers vs the people that actually post.

I have noticed most of the posts these days here are not so much about asking questions, but more about showing people their projects. The sharing of projects is important, but we also need to promote questions, the classified and other parts of the forum.

In the past I have made posts on things I have wanted to buy, but no one has replied much - probably because they don't have the items I want.

Maybe I might put my money where my mouth is and use this forum as my blog and then tweet when I make a post... not that I have many followers on twitter... like maybe one or two.

Anyway, sorry for the disjointed post - feleing very tired and keep getting my train of though interrupted as I type.

Maybe that is good, as it might strike up a lengthy conversation here.

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Post by Admin Fella » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:56 am

Well it seems that the forum is basically sound with only a couple of suggestions.

I am not sure how you jazz it up a bit, but given that this forum is hosted for us, I am not keen to try introducing any new forum models. We may just mess up what we have.

I also understand about posting daily wrap ups etc, but this requires someone to post the links each day and also send out periodic emails and also people to actually look at it. Saying that part of the fun in a forum is a bit of a browse and general look see yourself to take in what has been happening.

Consideration had been given to the viability of the forum. But there does appear to be enough turn over to keep it going. I do prefer this kind of medium than FB or similar. This is the best way that I can see to post my projects up, have a bit of a log of what I am doing and all without being lost in an endless news feed and out of sight within a day.

regards
Mathew

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Captain Darling » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:44 am

I think maintaining the forum is good decision.

I believe the email sent out earlier this year has definitely resulted in posts from 'new faces' well old members really placing some posts!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporiu ... pot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com