Anyone ever use virtual tabletop software to wargame

Introduce yourself, say hello, or engage in a Tavern Foyer chit chat!
Malty666

Anyone ever use virtual tabletop software to wargame

Post by Malty666 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Having had my figures in exile due to a house move (and the fact the garage looks like a war was fought in it and needs renovation), I've been fiddling with virtual tabletop software.

Dunno if anyone else has used it (or thought of using it).

I put what I have found here for those interested: http://www.thewargamingaddict.com/5-rea ... -3-not-to/

Anyone else tried any of this software?

Paul
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Re: Anyone ever use virtual tabletop software to wargame

Post by Paul » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:48 pm

The graphics look a bit ..er?..dated
I´ve played a couple of them but as with the ones on your link, the graphics were bad, the learntime to Long.
I much prefer the 3D type games like the total war series.
RARO SENEX MUTAT SENTENTIAM

Paul's Bods

Federation of Bodstonia

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Re: Anyone ever use virtual tabletop software to wargame

Post by Dropbear » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:31 am

I tinkered around a year or so ago (can't remember the exact timing) using Roll20 and to get the game working the players have to be on line at the same time. It would have taken a lot of time to get the game ready to play, especially co-ordinating every one to be on line at the same time, so I didn't play using it.

I have played zombie wargames using photo shop on my zombie wargame blog. I called it Play by blog. I prepared the maps and the the scenario, and players submitted photos of their survivors and each turn submitted orders for what they wanted to do for the turn. This was all done using photo shop type programs and spreadsheets to put all the data I needed in one place.

I would then determine the results of those orders and post new updated maps showing where friend and foe had moved to, and typed up the results in the blog.

Having just read the article you provided the link for, I have downloaded Battle Chronicler and will see if my tiny brain can figure it all out to try a SAGA game.