20mm modern/ultra modern wargaming in Aus?

Introduce yourself, say hello, or engage in a Tavern Foyer chit chat!
Splod
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

20mm modern/ultra modern wargaming in Aus?

Post by Splod » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:45 am

Hey guys,

I've recently gotten into Cold War and Ultra Modern 20mm gaming and am wondering how widespread it is in Australia?
I'll be collecting multiple sides for the conflicts allowing me to play solo or to drag in other people to play, but its still not the same as playing against other wargamers with their own collection.
I'm Tasmanian, but I spend a far bit of time on the big island. Does anyone play 20mm Cold War or moderns? I'm looking at using Ambush Alley: Force on force, but I'm sure I could adapt to other systems.

So, where are you and what do you play?
"A learning experience is one of those things that says; 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.'
- Douglas Adams

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Re: 20mm modern/ultra modern wargaming in Aus?

Post by Admin Fella » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:48 pm

I am just starting to get into Ambush Alley. Yet to play a game, but close to having all the pieces. So just got to find an opponent................................................

Splod
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Splod » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Ambush Alley in it's vanilla form is suitable for solo play, isn't it?
Well that's my plan at least.
"A learning experience is one of those things that says; 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.'
- Douglas Adams

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Post by Dropbear » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:15 am

I have a handful of modern 20mm, British and Africans from Liberation Miniatures, for a fictitious African nation setting, but not enough for a decent game.

I have Ambush Alley (yes can be played solo) and Force on Force, but I prefer Arc of Fire as a set of rules. This wont stop me borrowing mechanics from one to use in the other.

Splod
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Splod » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:41 pm

Sounds like an excuse to expand your collection Dropbear ;)
- Douglas Adams

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:35 pm

:P

actually I am awaiting for Wartime Miniatures 20mm Vietnam war figures. I have a decent collection of SHQ and want to add to or replace the ones I have.

I will be pinching parts from Ambush Valley (which I helped with the section on the Aussies... not only did they not put me in the list of credits as promised, but they also got the info I passed on to them wrong!!!!) and using it with Arc of Fire which has rules for late colonial to Modern in the one rule book :D

Splod
A Schooner
A Schooner

Post by Splod » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:36 am

I'm not familiar with Arc of Fire... Off to Googly land I go :D
- Douglas Adams

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:56 pm

I have modern 20mm (80s) Iraq's unpainted ( :roll: ) and I did have Iranians (80s sold them), I have also a few Soviet bits of kit (all tanks and APCs) and some somaili rebel types (with lots of cars awaiting conversion) for a BHD type scenario, have also thought about brush wars stuff (angola or Rhodesian Bush War), Bruce (russians), Greg (British) and Grant (germans) all have moderns also. A few also have GHQ stuff, I have a few brits, Bruce has russians, and Ray and ean ahve tonnes of stuff.

cheers
matt
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

Sparker

Post by Sparker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:56 pm

I am in Wollongong NSW and I have 20mm Russians, Brits (/Canadians) and Germans. I have used WRG modern rules, but am experimenting with adapting FOW to 20mm Modern gaming, so far with some degree of success...Needs a big table though!

I am obsessed with Cold War hot scenarios with the BAOR and other NATO units facing off against the 3rd Shock Army etc. Maybe because I grew up as an army brat 20 klicks from the IGB!

WarDepotDavid
A Pony
A Pony

Post by WarDepotDavid » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 am

Yep.

I'm in Brisbane and frequently run Ambush Alley games with real life Section Leaders in the ADF. I use it as a tool in my MilSims program. I also play it solo and have added a few things into it. In its basic form, the rules are great for fighting Iraq and Afghanistan. I also do Timor Leste scenarios and Fiji and Solomons.

I have Brits, US and Aussies from Wartime. And various tali's and civi's. Currently building up my terrain and then will move to painted the figs and collecting more Aussies and civi's. I also have a Tiger and a Revell NH90 kit I am assembling as a MRH90.

Hoping to get together with Matthew soon to get some games going. Hope to draw in others in the area. Maybe have a stable AA group that meets each month or 2 at BIG or something. I am a member there so can get us a table or 2 whenever. So is BlackSoilBill.