Vale Victor "Rick" Quayle.

Introduce yourself, say hello, or engage in a Tavern Foyer chit chat!
Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Vale Victor "Rick" Quayle.

Postby Midshipman Easy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:21 pm

I have sad news to impart. Rick Quayle passed away last night. He had been very ill in hospital these last couple of weeks.Rick was a passionate wargamer and a true character who laughed loud as he never did anything queitly. He could and did rub people the wrong way but he was never half hearted about his wargaming or the Penrith Wargames Society (formerly The Emperor's Legion) club. R.I.P.
A captain goes down with his ship. Midshipman Easy Reporting!

Chuckie
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 94

Re: Vale Victor "Rick" Quayle.

Postby Chuckie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Very sorry to hear that, especially when there is an almost larger than life character behind them.

Tyberius
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Postby Tyberius » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:36 pm

I have known Rick on and off since 1979.

In my first HR job, Rick was a fork Lift driver and union delegate.
He later left that job and went back to university to study history which was a true passion for him.

Rick went on to become a senior university tutor.

When Tin Soldier Penrith set up a lot of games tables and attracted all the Fantasy and 40K players to their shop to play for free instead of paying for PCYC membership, Rick stepped up to keep a wargames club at the PCYC made up of the historical players who wanted to stay independent of any shop.

Rick stepped up and ran the PCYC Penrith wargames society for 7 years.

For those that may have complained my response was step up or shut up.
Whingers never step up.

Rick earnt respect because he did step up.

Rick loved history, he loved wargames and he was indeed a character to remember.

Rest in Peace.
The chickens have come home to roost,
But they are not ....... chickens
They are ....... Emus

Tyberius

evadestruction
A Middy
A Middy

Postby evadestruction » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:07 am

Yep Miss him although Since moving interstate 2 years ago I havent seen him in that time but I was in frequent email contact with him and odd phone calls. He stepped up for the club and kept it going and inspired me to keep coming to the club until I moved interstate. If it wasnt for his tenacity & being able to keep a small group of guys attending, the club would have folded the day the others moved on.

Yep he did certainly rub people up the wrong way when he was having a bad day but when he was well he was good company. If you got to know him you could'nt help but like him but you had to get past the bigger than life character he was.

Was a sad day when Ty rang me about his passing.

Old wargamers never die they just march beyond the parade ground. [evadestruction]

Return to “Tavern Foyer”