Chain of Command MOAB photos

For all WWII Discussion
oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 95

Chain of Command MOAB photos

Postby oozeboss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:32 am

For those not on the Chain of Command in Australia group (and various Facebook pages).

Bart Beswick's post:

(The bits of pink post it note in these shots were John's reminder prompts of what scenario was applicable to that table, which were taken off and replaced by an A4 sized sheet of notes spelling out the mission, conditions, and other details before we started Round 1.)

This is the Wrecked Village, which was used for Scenario 6 (Attack on an Objective, which was the crossroads at the top of the photo). The Axis were the Attackers on Day 1 and the Allies on Day 2, and it saw one win apiece on both days. The river was fordable anywhere by infantry only, and the green patch with the trees on the right was a forest.

This is the Cobblestone table, which was used for Scenario 4 (A Delayed Action). The objective was a JoP, which had to be placed on the near side of the bridge in the foreground. The Axis were the Attackers on Day 1, but the Allies won both games. The Allies attacked on Day 2, and it resulted in one win apiece. There were three fords for infantry only on the river.

This is the Ploughed table, which was used for Scenario 7 (Attack and Counter Attack). It was the only table which I did not play on. The Axis were the Attackers on Day 1, and both games were draws. The Allies attacked on Day 2, and it resulted in two wins for the Axis.

This is the Wheat table, which was used for Scenario 3 (Attack and Defend). The Axis were the Attackers on Day 1, and won both games. Day 2 saw the Allies attacking, but both games resulted in draws.

This is the Garage table, which was used for Scenario 5 (Flank Attack). The Axis were the Attackers on Day 1, and won both games. Day 2 saw the Allies attacking, with both sides winning one game each. The clumped trees on the left of this shot were treated as an orchard.

You may notice from my summary that the Allies & Axis each won 8 games. The Allies were deemed to be victorious due to their having a higher Force Morale differential as at the end of the games.

More to come (and don't say that I don't look after you lot!).....
Last edited by oozeboss on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"We are all worms.
But I believe that I am a glow-worm."

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Re: Chain of Command MOAB photos

Postby oozeboss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:35 am

Ceri Still's post (and I'll cut and paste his excellent commentary for the photos):

My Sig 18 came off a bit better in a long range firefight with some Yanks in game 1.

They had some infantry support too.

O.k. They had a lot of infantry support

But mostly they had to sit and wait for the smoke to clear.

To get to the objective.

That the yanks shrouded in smoke.

The yanks defending the wall took a lot of fire, but not before they dispatched a squad of my Krauts that got caught in the open. A loss to the Germans.

Game 2, my recce team were highly mobile, taking out two British light mortars.

Before a PIAT finally slowed them down.

The Brit armour didn't feel the need to show itself to my Fausts or Shreck.

(More to come)
Last edited by oozeboss on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Postby oozeboss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:44 am

(Ceri Still, still:) ;)

So the game ended in a draw.

Game 3 saw nearly all my support points going into this PzKfw IV.

It held the bridge. "You shall not pass!"

But it fell to my Shreck to take out the enemy Sherman as my tank was blinded by mortar fire!

The Chateaux gave my third squad a perfect vantage point to enfilade the advancing Yanks, morale in tatters they withdrew. First victory of the weekend.

These yanks thought they could advance in cover of the woods! They seemed a little uncertain of where Jerry was hiding!

Oh!....there they are!

Jerry had arranged a welcoming committee! I dare you to step out of the woods!

The Germans advanced and hurled large numbers of grenades into the woods, just waiting for the right moment to call "handgranatten!"

But the yanks pulled back!

The third Yankee squad, thinking all three Jerry squads were committed, pushed forwards at the trot! Typical Yanks....the intel was bad, Jerry had a fourth support squad who lit them up in the open as they crossed the bridge!

Jerry victory!

(And don't you now wish you could have been with us, playing on these tables? Simple solution: come to Cancon 2018!)
Last edited by oozeboss on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Postby oozeboss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:47 am

From Chris Hersey (who appears to have taken photos of a number of games other than his own):

Last edited by oozeboss on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Postby oozeboss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:50 am

Scott Driscoll's Italians, with his own comments:

Some photos from my 'Italians' at MOAB.

I had to use 13 German FJ as the 'scout squad' support option (hence the German Paras). Not completely inconceivable and easily justified using 'Wargamers logic'.

I used the Italian '40-41' list.

After the first two rounds we agreed to alter the abilities of the Italian sergeant (superior Jnr Ldr) slightly. Still only had two initiatives but only activating on a 4 (not 3 or 4). We felt the Italians were too 'tactically agile' having a senior leader (Lt), and two Sgts who could activate on 3 or 4!
Having the sergeants only activating on a 4 did produce a 'clunkier' organisation.

I used a couple 'locals' hurling Molotov cocktails to simulate the Italian flamethrower (range 6 inches), which I shouldn't have even used at all (but that's another story),....

I didn't take many photos and also didn't get time to finish flocking the bases of some of my troops!
Anyway,.. I'll do a write up of the event from my perspective later on.

The terrain and organisation of the tournament was fantastic. I've never seen terrain as good at any convention anywhere! Simply amazing

(Obviously not Italians, but Scott's opponents in Game 3. With my as yet not quite finished blast markers in as a backdrop, from a mortar barrage.)

Last edited by oozeboss on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Postby oozeboss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:53 am

From Steve McGuigan. This is a compilation of several post scattered about the page:

("Day 1, finally on the table.)

(Steve, being Steve and generous to a fault, took a lot of pictures of troops other than his Gebirgsjagers.)

(More to come)
Last edited by oozeboss on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Postby oozeboss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 am

(More from Steve McG:)

This is from my platoon: the model of Colonel Klink by Stoessi's Heroes is probably my favourite WWII miniature, bar none. Although this is actually Leutnant Werner Adalard Norbert Klink, third cousin twice removed of the renowned Stalag Luft Kommandant. And the other stand is a Jump Off Point guarded by what looks like the German equivalent of Private Charles Godfrey (of the Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard platoon) playing out one horribly unsubtle pun.

Chris Hersey commented: I am proud of this MTR team who close assaulted a flamethrower team to make a big contribution to a very tight victory.

These are mine - being shocked to heck at being fed piecemeal into the face of a US Para firing line.

Last edited by oozeboss on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Postby oozeboss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:16 am

John Bond's own photos and narratives:

Funny moments of MOAB 2017: No 1 Chris Hersey Paras poured out so much fire on their quest to capture the bridge that the barrel of their LMG and one of the riflemen gun didn't just get hot but started to melt,

Funny moments of MOAB 2017: No 2 Richard Naco German Senior Leaders deciding to hold a discussion in the middle of flower bed on how to deal with Peter Duellist Martindale US vehicle coming down the road, while the Panzershcreck team takes matters in their own hand.

From me - Rule #3: Do Not - I say again - Do Not deploy an anti tank weapon with a 48" range 54" dead in front of its target, AND then roll snake eyes attempting to get out of the way of its HMG. Bad Things happened (but that didn't disturb the Wehrmacht officer's soiree, which was only decorative for the rest of that game while the rest of the platoon came to a Very Sticky End).

Funny moments of MOAB 2017:No 3 Peter Duellist Martindale spent shell cases lining on the back of his vehicle , not sure how his troops manage to load the MG with them.

(They're actually spent .22 cartridges which the Brisbane contingent used as Shock markers, and they looked simply amazing.)

From me: grumble grumble grumble invincible American armour grumble grumble grumble ;) (This Thing killed off a badly deployed Panzerschrek team, then survived two Panzerfausts shot into its side AND three grenades hurled at it.)

(More to come)
Last edited by oozeboss on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Postby oozeboss » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:18 am

More of John's visions:)

Funny moments of MOAB 2017: No 4 Kevin Mott been watching too many Harry Potter movies, his British Rifle and Bren teams are eliminated by merciless fire from 2 x German Sections leaving his Senior Leader,Junior Leader and FO to face another round of fire from the Germans in the following Phases, Kevin solution, use the cloak of invisibility throws a smoke grenade on his position.(NB Kevin should have used a 1D6/2D6 to throw the smoke grenade).

Funny moments of MOAB 2017: No 5 bolt Action player's Sherman stumbles onto a playing field which seems a bit too realistic, the commander puzzled by the terrain before him opens the hatch to get a better perspective but to his astonishment his driver took the wrong turn into the Chain of Command gaming room.

Funny moments of MOAB 2017: No 6 Bart Beswick on the wheat field moving his troops out of a Barrage while his opponent Kevin Mott takes a toilet break. (only kidding, Bart was playing honestly , he actually called me over to oversee this Phase of action while Kevin visited the bath room) but to an outsider looks like Bart may be cheating.

Bart responded: I cheated in such a way that two units rolled too low to escape a bombardment. What a fiendish caper! :D
Last edited by oozeboss on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Postby Dropbear » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:59 am

Sounds like an interesting game, but that is waaaaay to many links to click on.

If you add "[img]""[/img]" at the start and the the end of the link it will turn in to this.

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Postby oozeboss » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:21 pm

I linked in order to save space on the site.

Inserting images now.
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Postby oozeboss » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:01 pm

From Shaun Griffen (links given, as I couldn't post the images from his Instagram account):

My son & I went to MOAB this year just to see the COC tables & games. In my humble opinion – the stand out room of the day. Spectacular scenery and a very relaxed atmosphere. The players were very friendly and only too happy to chat in between moves.

John also found the time in between umpiring the games to share some helpful terrain building tips.

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t more than just a few converts to COC after visiting the room at the top of the stairs.

We posted a few photos on our Instagram gaming account:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZsmfV9gqIo ... fin.gaming

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZskOVXAaSN ... fin.gaming

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZslEMsg4vN ... fin.gaming
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Postby oozeboss » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:05 pm

These are from Adam Stone, who was not playing in our event (and who took in a very Kevin McCloud like perspective):

Some of my pictures from Sydney's MOAB of the CoC tables. Just superb tables and scenery. The extra details for the terrain like pianos, animals and general attention to detail is just top shelf. I can't say enough about it. Inspirational.

(All buildings had perspex upper floors, in order to gain visual access to whatever troops were below them.)

(Taken during the Patrol Phase of my game against Victor in the Sunday morning game - my 'ambush pattern' Aboriginal design shirt is a bit of a give away.)

Taken from the Chain of Command Facebook page, but originally posted on the Bolt Action Australia/ New Zealand page on the Sunday morning.
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Postby Admin Fella » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:32 am

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

regards
Mathew

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Postby Captain Darling » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:19 am

Amazing amount of good looking kit there! Thanks for posting!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au

Return to “The Kokoda Track Room”