Luftwaffe Field Division Uniform

For all WWII Discussion
Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Luftwaffe Field Division Uniform

Post by Admin Fella » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:06 pm

When people talk about doing "correct" miniatures to represent LFD, what do they mean?? What are the differences specifically?

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Re: Luftwaffe Field Division Uniform

Post by Captain Darling » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:26 am

Hi,

I would think they are differentiating between FJs and LW ground divisions.

The LW ground divisions didn't wear some of the jump specific items, they usually had coal scuttle helmets, non jump smocks, regulars gas mask canisters etc.

Cheers!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporiu ... pot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com

Croft
a Shandy
a Shandy

Post by Croft » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:04 pm

This will most probably be not much of a help buts its only a personal opinion.

I've done a bit of research for painting various consignments as to German uniforms, camo colours and equipment etc and I've come to the conclusion that there was no standard look for any of the various types German field troops. When I looked at photos of particularly late war everyone in them seems to be differently dressed be it in uniform or equipment. Historically I have tended to think of a perfectly dressed and equipped figure according to 'regulations' and in reality this most probably was never achieved perhaps except on the parade ground again particularly in the late war when the supply and manufacturing industries were in a very poor state. I do think that the Fallschirmjager would as post above be wearing the smoks etc but the field units could have had anything.

I suppose what I'm saying is I would be using any figure with any differing equipment and uniform style.

Again very much only a personal opinion.
Ray Croft
Vorhut Figure Painting
Web www.vorhut.com.au
EMail vorhut@westnet.com.au

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Captain Darling » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Hey Ray,

I agree uniform mixes in any war of any time period can vary greatly from what is specified.

But in general if you're building a unit for gaming you want it to resemble the formation being replicated, what would French Old Guard look like on your board in shakos instead of glorious bearskins (which did occur) :D

Getting back to FJs v LW ground troops both wore the distinctive LW blue hidden button tunic but most of the rest was different, helmet, pants, boots, gasmask bags.

It would be rare to see LW troops in say army uniforms as each Wehrmacht department was very independent regarding kitting our their men (and women).

Some ground troops had a camo non jump smocks but I'm sure if you search long and hard you may find some individuals with a plain of camo jump smock (especially if transferred) and later in the war many FJs would have looked more like ground LW grounds troops as distribution systems started to fail.

Cheers
Pete

Croft
a Shandy
a Shandy

Post by Croft » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello

I agree to some extent but I do believe we stereotype what our figures 'should' look like and do not consider reality. This was highlighted for me the first time I professionally painted WW2 Germans, a long time ago now, and ended up looking on the net and studying a page with numerous opinions of how to paint the field grey, got me thinking and assessing my own stereotyping.

I do agree that the figures need to be identifiable for me the confusing bit is just what each individuals vision of what they want the figures to look like that can greatly vary.
Ray Croft
Vorhut Figure Painting
Web www.vorhut.com.au

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Captain Darling » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi Ray,

Horses to courses, I choose to represent units as they should appear against how they may have appeared I think it looks better and helps games run smoothly as there is no discrepancy as to what they represent, I f a gamer wants to represent LW field division troops with regular army figures whose uniforms for such a unit would be the exception to the rule then good on them.

I was simply answering Mathews question on the difference between FJs uniforms and those of LW field division uniforms, not a question as to how many uniform variations there could be in a LW field division.

I'll keep such historical uniform variations to dioramas when it's justified/proven.

:D

Cheers
Pete

Croft
a Shandy
a Shandy

Post by Croft » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Hello Pete

Sorry if you felt I was having a go, it was not my intention. As you said each to his own.
Ray Croft
Vorhut Figure Painting
Web www.vorhut.com.au

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Post by Admin Fella » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Hey Guys

From what I can see the early uniform has the covered buttons on the tunic and also no chest pockets but with collar patches.

Later in the war Zeltbahn and smocks became quite common.

Helmets netting, covers etc and ussual mix of bits can always be added in.

regards
Mathew