Chain of command - who else here plays it?

For all WWII Discussion
Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Chain of command - who else here plays it?

Post by Dropbear » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:37 pm

My wargaming buddy came around last night after over a month of no gaming for us, and he brought with him his newly acquired copy of "Chain of Command". We went over the rules and they certainly came up looking much better than Bolt Action from our point of view.

Who else here plays Chain of Command, and has any one produced army lists for Australia?

I have virtually all the figures I need for WW2 Pacific with Australians and Japanese, and whilst I have some data on the platoon make up for Australia, could do with some more information.

Is the Bayonet Strength web site accurate when it comes to this kind of information?

wargameroz
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Re: Chain of command - who else here plays it?

Post by wargameroz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Had a few games and enjoyed it, however when playing solo I use figures for the patrolling phase
the person who dies with the most unfinished stuff
wins

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:52 pm

How well do the rules work for solo games?

wargameroz
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by wargameroz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:10 pm

ok, but when I solo I play with a mix of CofC, RF2 and Battlegroup, I particularly like using the command part of Battlegroup, adding up officers and adding that to the dice roll, sometimes you really have to think about it, especially if you roll snake eye's that was very embarrassing, especially doing it a couple of times in a game, really stuffed up my plans
the person who dies with the most unfinished stuff
wins

genew49
a Shandy
a Shandy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Post by genew49 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:34 am

TFL provides a list for Commonwealth (and Japanese) platoons for the Far East 1941. May not be exactly what you're looking for but may give you some ideas until additional lists for the PTO are published.
http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=2977

Check out the TFL Yahoo group files section for some lists in progress:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Toofatlardies/info

and the TFL Forum for currently published lists:
http://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewto ... f=35&t=228

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:28 am

thanks genew49

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 95

Post by oozeboss » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:37 am

I actually got these rules over the October long weekend (and apologies to those of you in states who don't have one :twisted: ), and despite my inevitable scepticism towards anything that induces any form of mass hysteria, I found myself inevitably becoming pretty darned impressed.

:shock:

I'd love to get in some games in order to become familiar with them (as I am far more of a Monkey Do than a Monkey See sorta bloke), so if anybody plays it and is within a bull's roar of Sutho Shire, please give me a head's up.

:idea:
"We are all worms.
But I do believe that I am a glow-worm."

Winston Churchill

Ysambart
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by Ysambart » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:15 am

Canberra has a nice little Chain of Command scene going. With a little searching you can find pickup games in 28mm and 15mm. Cancon 2015 will feature a participation game and a tournament, both in 28mm. I love thegame so much I am running the tournament at Cancon 2015. http://cancoc2015.blogspot.com.au/

If you are in Canberra, PM me and we can try and organise an introductory game.

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 95

Post by oozeboss » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:43 am

Thanks for the offer.

I actually checked out your tournament before any others when working out what to play in 2015, but the one and only fly in the appointment was that my army is a 1942 Japanese force and the tournament is restricting itself to the late war ETO lists in the back of the book (and understandably so in your inaugural event).

So I will be at Cancon (and will make sure I come over and introduce myself) - as will said 1942 IJA platoon - but it and I shall be playing in The Other WW2 event over the weekend (although, that being a 2 day event means that I can get in a demo game of CoC on the Monday).

Together with my son, my (Canberra based) brother, and his (Baltimore based) son, I am now working on making a series of videos of games of Chain of Command and Bolt Action, playing the same figures over the same terrain in (very close to) the same scenario. We're calling ourselves The Ducks of War, and this project currently has the working title of Chain of Bolts. I actually love both games, but there are inherent differences, and the aim of CoB is to highlight both the commonalities and contrasts between the two rules sets without making judgement calls ourselves about what might and might not work in each set.

There will be two pairs of games featured, one based on two generic list 1000pt Bolt action platoons (which equate roughly to a platoon plus 30 support points in Chain of Command) and a standard CoC game and its BA equivalent (approx. 750pts).

As Rampaging Roy & HG would say: "Too much WW2 gaming is never enough!".

(Apologies for the digression.)
"We are all worms.
But I do believe that I am a glow-worm."

Winston Churchill