Indian National Army photos and list

For all WWII Discussion
oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 95

Indian National Army photos and list

Post by oozeboss » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:52 pm

I have painted up a platoon of Indian National Army (badly - I am no artist of any substance whatsoever), and am working on a list for the Chain of Command spektarkle at Cancon 2019.

So, for something completely different, please enjoy:

Scout Markers, and Platoon Morale Marker
Jump Off Points, all based on 3" diameter washers, and made using mainly Pulp Miniatures and Eureka Miniatures.
Jump Off Point - "Ass Whipping". The propaganda poster is actually the cover of a novel written by the commander of the Rani of Jhansi Regiment after the war.
Jump Off Point - "Mind the Krait". The banded krait is coiled under the propaganda poster, which in this instance is actually the cover of a box of matches sold in INA held territories during the war, and features their leader, Subhas Chandra Bose.
Jump Off Point - "You've Goat To Be Kidding". The poster is a commemorative stamp issued in India well after the war, but don't look too close or you'll notice that the soldiers on it are from the Indian SS legion Bose raised before travelling to Japan (by submarine) in 1943.

More to come ...
"We are all worms.
But I do believe that I am a glow-worm."

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Re: Indian National Army photos and list

Post by oozeboss » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:53 pm

An INA section. Unlike the Indian formations fighting for the British, the INA mixed soldiers of all ethnicities, religions and languages in their units.
Two INA sections, a 2" mortar team, and a Jump Off Point in an obvious "backs to the wall" scenario.
Same again, from a different perspective. The INA wore British uniforms captured after the Malaya campaign and fall of Singapore, and were basically armed and structured that way as well.
INA facing up against Australians (painted by Steve McGuigan & played by Dare Remai), in what was to be my first victory with the Azad Hind Fauj.
A shot of two INA sections facing off against Dare, in what was to be my first defeat playing the INA. The section closest to camera was supposed to perform a tricksy outflanking maneuver, but my platoon morale bottomed out before they really got anywhere.

More to come ...
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Post by oozeboss » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:54 pm

INA 2" mortar team. The INA was bedeviled by shortages of arms and ammo, so the platoon only has access to the one it starts with in its HQ, and that one can only fire HE.
INA sniper. It proved to be a waste of points in this game (and the tree is actually attached to his base). Far more effective was the Bahadur Group sniper operating off board in both games.
This is Captain Mukherjee of the Bahadur Group, attempting to subvert an Australian Jump Off Point (needing a 6 to prevent him exerting any influence, Dare rolled a 6 & Captain M. exited stage left without doing anything in this game). Lacking firepower, support weapons and any reasonable close combat capacity, the INA do rely a lot on Bahadur Group espionage to be competitive. It'd be pretty fair to say that Captain Mukherjee is my favourite "unit" in this platoon, despite him being a total dud in my first game, and being completely forgotten in my second. The figure is the metal warlord Games British 8th Army commander, with a head swap.
This (+ 1 sepoy and the platoon Havildar - equal to Sergeant - who are out of shot) are all that is left after a full section of INA engaged in close combat with 4 Australians + their Senior Leader at odds of almost 3:1. Kills were equal, but luckily that wiped out the Australian team, neutralizing their JOP & preparing the way for this platoon's first victory (with me using them). The bloke waving his fist is the section's Naik, which is equivalent to Corporal.
Subadar (Lt) Rachid Khan, demonstrating to his men that you should NEVER run across the front of two Australian sections (not one, mind you - 2!!) while they are on Overwatch. The results were not pretty. Perry's British 8th Army plastic commander, with a side-capped head from a Warlord Games Early German sprue, and additional gear from WG Japanese plastic sprues.

(Pictures of the mob of Bengali dacoits and the additional section from the Rani of Jhansi Regiment will be added later.)

More to come ...
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Post by oozeboss » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:55 pm

The army list which I have been working on for the Indian National Army may be accessed at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9427164 ... 915151328/

We are currently play testing it, and to say that it plays quite differently to most "regular" platoons would be an understatement. It is my intention to use this at Cancon 2019, so the development process is still very much on going right now.

All commentary and suggestions welcomed.
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by Captain Darling » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:24 am

Well Oozeboss you’ve put a bit of work into your INA force we’ll done.

The Bahabur Group sounds interesting i’ll Have to Google them to find out more.

Your link to Facebook didn’t work for me (I’m not registered on Facebook so maybe that’s why).

Looking at your JOP’s it looks like all roads lead to Delhi rather than Rome hehehe :D
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporiu ... pot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com

oozeboss
A Pony
A Pony

Post by oozeboss » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 pm

One of the recurring themes of INA propaganda was their March on Delhi, with their stated goal being to hoist the flag of a free and independent India over the Red Fort.

In the light of which, the decision of the British colonial authorities to hold the treason trials of INA leaders after the war in the same Red Fort was deliciously cruel (and ultimately, was a move which backfired spectacularly).
"We are all worms.

Winston Churchill