NATO

To discuss all those Naval and Aviation matters from "Killer" Caldwell to the "Scrap Iron Flotilla".
denajousi

NATO

Post by denajousi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:13 pm

What is the difference between the NATO bombing in Bosnia in 1995 and in Kosovo in 1999? Do both of thise campaigns hit major military targets, etc or no? Just wondering. I heard that in Kosovo, NATO aircraft hit mostly civilian targets.

Jimo

Re: NATO

Post by Jimo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:49 am

denajousi wrote:What is the difference between the NATO bombing in Bosnia in 1995 and in Kosovo in 1999? Do both of thise campaigns hit major military targets, etc or no? Just wondering.

Basically:

1) "The 1995 NATO bombing in Bosnia and Herzegovina (code-named by NATO Operation Deliberate Force) was a sustained air campaign conducted by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) to undermine the military capability of the Army of the Republika Srpska (VRS) which threatened and attacked UN-designated "safe areas" in Bosnia during the Bosnian War. The operation was carried out between 30 August and 20 September 1995, involving 400 aircraft and 5,000 personnel from 15 nations ... During the campaign, a total of 3515 sorties were flown against 338 individual targets." (source see below)

Details to read up for yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NATO_ ... erzegovina

2) Also: "Operation Deny Flight was a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) operation that began on April 12, 1993 as the enforcement of a United Nations (UN) no-fly zone over Bosnia and Herzegovina. The United Nations and NATO later expanded the mission of the operation to include providing close air support for UN troops in Bosnia and carrying out coercive air strikes against targets in Bosnia. Twelve NATO members contributed forces to the operation and, by its end on December 20, 1995, NATO pilots had flown 100,420 sorties." (source see below)

Details again (see also Operation Deliberate Force) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Deny_Flight

Additional info and also answering your question ...

I heard that in Kosovo, NATO aircraft hit mostly civilian targets.

...can be found here (Operation Allied Force or (as called by the USA) Operation Noble Anvil):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_bombing_of_Yugoslavia

So "mostly" would be wrong.

Paul
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Post by Paul » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:43 pm

RARO SENEX MUTAT SENTENTIAM

Paul's Bods

Federation of Bodstonia

Sparker

Post by Sparker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:12 pm

I think the strike on the radio station resulted in the 'civilian targets' legend. And yes, of course it was a civilian target...but talk about stirring the hornet's nest!

Legend has it that the brass actually wanted the BBC taken out, which would have been a mission I would gleefully have planned, and I was not alone!