Algernon Pulls It Off - what I am doing

To discuss all those Naval and Aviation matters from "Killer" Caldwell to the "Scrap Iron Flotilla".
Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Algernon Pulls It Off - what I am doing

Postby Dropbear » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:34 am

After learning the WW1 Dogfight rules "Algernon Pulls It Off" last week, my mate and I began a campaign last night.

At this stage we are still deciding which model planes we want to use: the WoW are out as they are too costly. Skytrex 1/144 is very tempting, but it will take a while to get the number and variety of planes we will need.

The Irregular 1/300 are cheap, but they look cheap and they don't have a large variety of planes that we might need.

So, what I have done to enable us to play the game while we decided on which minis to use is to make some cardboard counters (hexes with planes on them) that I printed out. This allows us to have any number of planes fairly quickly.

Also, as my hex mat was a bit too small to allow wide sweeping dogfights, I made move templates (hexes joined together that represent the moves that are allowed) that were printed on to card and cut out. This proved to be better than dared hoped: it allowed us to use a whole large table and increased the speed at which the game was played.

Having now played a game with counters and templates, I will be looking at other plane games using the templates at the very least (I have WW2 planes already, so don't need to make counters for them).

Return to “The Naval and Aviation Discussion Room”