Wings of War

To discuss all those Naval and Aviation matters from "Killer" Caldwell to the "Scrap Iron Flotilla".
Ross
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Wings of War

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Last weekend I attended Bootcamp '09, a 40K Apocalypse "tourny." Now 40K's not my scene anymore, but I do have enough to field the big points forces for a few armies sitting gathering dust.

The best thing about this yearly event, apart from a great bunch of people and casual drunken gaming, is the nightly activities. Random board games, new mini games etc abound during the night time activities. Now I got to play Wings of War this year. Seriously fun game, there were about 10 or so of us sitting around the table flipping cards, doing bad impersonations, and making shooty noises.

I'd never played the game before, and I'd had a good skin full of alcohol by the time we started, but by the second turn I'd gotten a good grasp on the rules.

So all in all, fantastic game, easy to learn, and positively brilliant game for a table full of drunken gamers!

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Re: Wings of War

Postby Admin Fella » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:53 pm

I played my first game of this on Wednesday. A good friend of mine runs the campaign here in Brisbane that has some 100 participants. I to enjoyed the game. Thing is the tactics are not so much what you want to do, but thinking of what your opponent is going to do and trying to out wit them.

I played a Sopwith and not sure what he played but we twirled around each other for quite a while, doing bits of damage and ended up shooting each other down! (me via killing pilot and him causing my plane to explode).

Had me thinking that is for sure, but pretty easy to learn and good "beer and crackers" type of game. :)

Ross
A Schooner
A Schooner

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:07 pm

It's the random "what's he going to do" that makes the game for me too. I had two German planes gunning for me, bot thinking I'd be banking one way, only to find me going in the opposite direction towards a big scrap in the middle.

The random damage cards were sweet too, I kept getting hit (as you do...) but for 0 damage.

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Postby Dropbear » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:03 am

I was very seriously on the verge of buying this game last year, but the price of the game plus the cost of the extra planes etc put me off... so I got the Two Fat Lardies WW1 rules instead.

Ross
A Schooner
A Schooner

Postby Ross » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:07 pm

lol I think the best bit was that I didn't have to spent a cent to play this game, just the grog :D

Return to “The Naval and Aviation Discussion Room”