aircaft of the month

To discuss all those Naval and Aviation matters from "Killer" Caldwell to the "Scrap Iron Flotilla".
Cardinal Biggles

aircaft of the month

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:00 am

I am having a bit of a mid war biplane thing..probaly GW's pulp adventure influence

Gloster Gamecock
1924 Back to the Virtual Aircraft Museum

Gloster Gamecock

In July 1924, Gloucestershire Aircraft began work on an improved Grebe single-seat fighter to Specification 37/23 and intended to be powered by the 398hp Bristol Jupiter IV nine-cylinder radial engine. Of wooden construction with fabric skinning and retaining the then-standard armament of two synchronised 7.7mm Vickers guns, and to receive the appellation of Gamecock, the prototype was delivered to Martlesham Heath on 20 February 1925. In the following September, an initial order was placed on behalf of the RAF for 30 Gamecock Is powered by the 425hp Jupiter VI. In the event, a further 60 Gamecock Is were built for the RAF (1925-27), one of these (unofficially known as the Gamecock III) at one time flying with a lengthened fuselage, new and enlarged fm-and-rudder assembly and narrow-chord ailerons. A developed version, the Gamecock II, with a steel-tube upper wing centre section, narrow-chord ailerons and a larger rudder, appeared in 1928. This was adopted by Finland, two pattern aircraft and a manufacturing licence being acquired. Fifteen Gamecock IIs were built for the Finnish air arm 1929-30 by the State Aircraft Factory (Valtion Lentokonenetehdas), these having the lengthened fuselage tested earlier in the UK by the so-called Gamecock III and being powered initially by the 420hp Gnome-Rhone Jupiter (IV) 9Ab or 9Ak and later by the 480hp Jupiter (IV) 9Ag. The last Gamecock Is were withdrawn from first-line RAF service mid-1931, Gamecock IIs remaining first-line Finnish equipment until 1935.

Gamecock Mk I

Specification
MODEL Gamecock Mk I
ENGINE 1 x Bristol Jupiter VI, 317kW
WEIGHTS
Take-off weight 1299 kg 2864 lb
Empty weight 875 kg 1929 lb
DIMENSIONS
Wingspan 9.08 m 29 ft 9 in
Length 5.99 m 19 ft 8 in
Height 3.06 m 10 ft 0 in
Wing area 34.63 m2 372.75 sq ft
PERFORMANCE
Max. speed 249 km/h 155 mph
Ceiling 6705 m 22000 ft
ARMAMENT 2 x 7.7mm forward-firing machine-guns

Gamecock II
Attachments
gloster_gamecock-s.gif
gloster_gamecock-s.gif (31.58 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
gloster_gamecock-m.gif
gloster_gamecock-m.gif (2.75 KiB) Viewed 3947 times

Greywolf

Re: aircaft of the month

Post by Greywolf » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:14 pm

I thought I knew about all the Interwar Brit fighters,this is a new one.Very nice it is too,thanks CH.

fanai
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Post by fanai » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:36 pm

I love all the inter war plains - both british and the gaudi american one -(not the french ones - there are som ugly ones there) I have a colection of about 12 different types in my aircraft collection painted by my Dad - need a little repair only but beautiful things - That was the BUlldog of his in the photos from Agodat

Ian
Painting is a Journey not a destination

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:46 pm

I don't know if the French had ugly all their way, this gamecock is a bit of an ugly bugger to my eyes, definately not a patch on the later Hawkers..

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:47 pm

be a good plane for Pulp, now does anybody do one in 1/48th?
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/