The Rum Corps Tavern
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 28mm Warmaster
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:14 pm 
Well this has begun to have some legs!not just an odd abberation by Grant and myself but 3 more solid contenders and some serious murmerings by a number of others, 3 as far as I can tell so it is to become official and I suppose here is to be its home...so far the ideas is;
1049-1096 is the time span covered, any European,Near or Middle Eastern, or North African Army army covered in the 2 Warmaster Rules books, 500 points + a General so essentially 600 points...28mm...bases 60mm by 50mm( I have tested this and 40 is to narrow...3 HC to a base, 2 Skirmisher to a base...7-10 close order infantry , 4-6 open order, all troops based to face the long side, +1 for shock cavalry , Generals Chieftans , Warlords and Bishops on a crcular GW 50? 60?mm base with nice scenary etc..
The Warmaster Ancients rules are definately better written than the ancient fantasy version...so far Vikings seem to be the most popular ...I reckon we could do a comp for this at Moab , 4 games a day big game monday or a doubles comp..or whatever, has to be more exciting than DBA and better than Warhammer Ancients..you have to have very nicely painted figures with excellent bases, no cheap tat..if we have a comp we might need a sponsor...

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:25 pm 
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Chris, you may want to reconsider the number of figures per base.

Having tried to squeeze Foundry figures, arms and weapons flailing everywhere, onto the base size I would be lucky to squueze more than 6 on the base and for it to look right. Seven figures may be just too many to fit.

I was going to base 3 per skirmisher, 4 per archer and 6 per close order.

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:31 pm 
having not done a mock up yet and only had experience of 60 x 60 I am with you. 6 sounds fine..of corse SYW are a lot better bahaved than feudals..

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:41 pm 
I think archers would be close order as well..so we are looking at HC 9 figures, LC 6 figures,HI 18 figures, bows 14 or 18 figures skirmishers, 9 figures..

Post subject: Base Sizes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:57 am 
One thing to be aware of is that 60mm x 50mm bases are not available commercially, while 60 x 60 are.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:03 am 
thanks mate, where and how much?, but I must ask don't people just cut up balsa anymore? I reccomend 5mm as it is resistant to ther glue sand stuff I base with...it is a cheap and effective alternative to plastic, which is what I think you are talking about?

Post subject: Bases
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:13 pm 
It is much easier to buy magnetic bases than to try and make them.

Just a thought.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:23 pm 
ah...magnetic bases!!!...I don't like them much ...does somebody male 60 x 60 magnetic bases? what brand...many out there like such infernal :evil: :evil: things...i prefer the foam carry case things..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:25 pm 
Captain Wombat, pray tell are you interested in the 28mm Warmaster thing...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:21 pm 
A Schooner
A Schooner

I fear it another army to build Zoinks!

but I want too....

incidentaly going down for the full cancon experience. I'm afraid Rex will need to find another way there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:23 pm 
but it isn't a really big one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:34 pm 
I know I don't like to tinker with other people's ruls...okok I like to take a blowtorch to them lets be fair, so...there has been some scholarly discussion on the nature and use of bows in our chosen period, and a bit of it wasn't by me...
and there is a mood that the notion of a "unit" of archers is a bit anachronistic for most forces in this period.. I contend that Byzantines had them, though according to the listsas they stand Byzantines could be oput shot by practically everybody else...I suggest the Germanic types didn't have bodies of archers...they might have bodies of skirmishers with missiles, but bows were part of the unit rather than being separate bodies...so cat amongst the pigeons time..Vikings, Saxons Ru and those sorts dont have units but rather have a 15cm range with 1 die per stand ...a bit light night goblins with attitude...Normas , especially those nice kind ones in the south of Italy who were so respectful of the Pope(after all they only kept him prisoner 15 years) may have i unit per 1.000pts that sort of thing..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:27 pm 
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

1. Who allowed wombat to join? :D

2. I would hardly refer to the conversation with me as scholarly discussion. Hope you have discussed with someone else as well.

3. We haven't committed to a base size yet, and here we are proposing blowtorch the rules regarding archery! One thing at a time or my head hurts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:52 pm 
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

And can I run a unit of berzerks or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:52 pm 
1. I did..i haven't a clue who he is..
2. you and others.,
3. I think we have...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:53 pm 
[quote="greatwhitezulu"]And can I run a unit of berzerks or not?[/quote of course not..we went into that..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:39 pm 
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

It was worth asking again - well, not really was it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:26 pm 
actually all this needs to be discussed...change stuff or just go with it as it is...I have to say I am inclined to going with it as it is probably simpler that way...so you can have beserks, and archers...if we want something more "realistic" we should write our own stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:40 pm 
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Actually, I wasn't going to run berzerks as a seperate unit. As you suggested, I will mix them into an occasional base.

I am also inclined to adopt the suggestion of mixing in archers, although does that mean I pay the points as listed in the rules, or extra? I agree that we need to discuss. I just don't know enough about Warmaster to comment.

Now when are we doing Late Romans? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:34 pm 
well points would be more...but perhaps we should stick with the rules as is..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:43 am 
Olympian Games in Canberra do pre-cut magna-bases. They also take orders for customised bases too.

I got whole lot of Franco-prussian bases for "They Died for Glory" from Olympian a few years agao.

Dean Bedlington provided really good service and a final product I was very satisfied with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:45 pm 
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Rules as is then, or I will propose that norman shock cavalry is also banned. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:36 pm 
i don't know if I can go down the ordering pre cut bases again...i think I will just cut myy own..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:36 pm 
greatwhitezulu wrote:
Rules as is then, or I will propose that norman shock cavalry is also banned. :D

don't be a big girl , ban Norman shock cavalry?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:42 pm 
A Schooner
A Schooner

cardinal...have you had a chance to scan in the Thematic OB list?