2013 Emperor's Legion ECW Tournament, Rd 2, Myself vs Rob.

For discussion regarding all things to do with our emergence from the Dark Ages to the Seven Years War, FIW, AIW and everything else through the Age of Reason.
Midshipman Easy
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

2013 Emperor's Legion ECW Tournament, Rd 2, Myself vs Rob.

Post by Midshipman Easy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Game 2 for me was against Rob and his Royalists. (Does nobody else fight for Parliament?)

Anyway there was a ridge running down the table from my right flank to the left of my centre. About half of it was steep which halved movement and denied any charge bonus to cavalry. As a result I massed my Horse on the left, infantry in the centre and left the right open hoping to gain a result before any troops could advance that way.

Rob's commander, King Charles II (oh Rupert and Boy are around somewhere)

The cavalry clash was very bloody, mostly mine, and one that Rob slowly got the better of. In the end the Royalist horse drove off their opposites and would be able to return to the battle later (if they didn't find a pub) For some reason I don't seem to have any photos of this.

As for the infantry, Rob kept his troops just behind the ridge line denying me a shooting match which I was confident of winning. Being a little less confident, but still confident, about winning a push-o-pike I decided to charge in.

It Worked for 2 regiments.

But not the 3rd.

Or the 4th once the King joined the unit, his Foot Guard, and led them personally.

At this point time was called. Rob had 2 intact units of Horse, 2 regiments of Foot off in pursuit and one (I'm guessing of somewhat dubious quality) that had marched the long way around over the steep hill to appear on my right flank and one heavy gun whose gunners were hiding in the near by pub. I had 2 victorious regiments of Foot, one regiment of Horse in a bloodied state and 2 unharmed, and unused, light guns and their crews. Rob might have had the better luck but I have to say that I did manage to rout Newcastle's regiment of Foot after inflicting one casualty on them in the charge. A very good game in all.
A captain goes down with his ship. Midshipman Easy Reporting!

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Re: 2013 Emperor's Legion ECW Tournament, Rd 2, Myself vs Ro

Post by Admin Fella » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Great stuff. Thanks for posting.