Might and Reason rules?

For discussion regarding all things to do with our emergence from the Dark Ages to the Seven Years War, FIW, AIW and everything else through the Age of Reason.
Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Might and Reason rules?

Post by Dropbear » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:38 am

I have Warfare in the Age of Reason rules, and I am not a huge fan.

Having looked over the Might & Reason web site, I found it had some info, but not enough to make me rush out and buy a set.

Can anyone that plays the game "sell" the rules to me by giving me a brief run down on basing and unit size (#of figures needed), Initiative (is it a "i go you go"?), a rough idea on combat and casualties.

Also, does it have campaign rules? (one thing i did like about Warfare in the Age of Reason was the campaign rules).

Cardinal Biggles

Re: Might and Reason rules?

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:30 pm

Dropbear wrote:I have Warfare in the Age of Reason rules, and I am not a huge fan.

Having looked over the Might & Reason web site, I found it had some info, but not enough to make me rush out and buy a set.

Can anyone that plays the game "sell" the rules to me by giving me a brief run down on basing and unit size (#of figures needed), Initiative (is it a "i go you go"?), a rough idea on combat and casualties.

Also, does it have campaign rules? (one thing i did like about Warfare in the Age of Reason was the campaign rules).
to be brief, they are being used for the Pangean campaign and are played by the Cumberland group..a certain Grand Tactical concept, turns are variable in length and are command driven in the sense that your commanders modify the chances of who goes first..nominally abrigade level but nobody is really bothering about that side of things..in the rules it says 50 x 50 bases but for a variety of reasons we are basing 60 x 60, around 26-20 figures to a unit..not particularly micro management level which some think is very good and others more anally retentive types deplore..casualties are by units which are started at a certain strength, SPs,and are worn down by action till they are lost..worn down units can recover SP if rested.. as I said absrtract but they satisfy the Cardinal's paradox of Wargames Rules; "the more abstract then the more realistic the outcome." We like them a lot as it does allow the playing of armies of 30-40,000 combatants and We like to send realistic numbers of people to their deaths in 28mm, if you think all warefare is a skirmish then they are not for you but if you think warefare is based around clashes of armies comprising numerous people who often will act contray to you , the commander's wishes, then they probably are your cup of tea..
Yes it has two levels of campaign rules..

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:16 pm

Cool. Abstract I like... my pet hates in wargames are "i go - you go", and being able to "number crunch" stats.

And whilst i like skirmish games, they aren't the only games I play :wink:

I just wanted the 28mm figures for a SYW "Sharpes Practice" and hopefully base them in such a way they could be used for skirmish or larger battles.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:33 pm

might and reason isnt as easy to number crunch as you can never be sure..if you are cautious them you will be cautious , if you are risk taker you will have a lot of fun, not much skirmishing in M&R

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:36 pm

no skirmishing in M&R is ok - i have other games for that :D

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:56 pm

there are skirmishers, well units that include them but in the brigade scale of things a bit in ttrouble if in the open..We generally do one unit of two stands of 16-20 figures to repreant the brigade..currently I am doing Saxons for a customer and the unit has a mounted officer 2 standar bearers, a foot officer, sergeant, drummer, oboe and bassoon and 11 musketeers..for larger, bulkier ranges I do 16 figures
http://www.ozwargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=1538

Phantom Agent

Post by Phantom Agent » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:06 pm

[quote="Dropbear"]Cool. Abstract I like... my pet hates in wargames are "i go - you go", and being able to "number crunch" stats.

and having the initiative allows you to give your opponent the first move phase if you wish. Also the initiative allows you to shoot first, a great advantage because casualties are applied straight away to the unit being shot at potentially reducing their SP's to shoot back. In the campaign I was playing in I saw 3 brigades of Prussian inf "blow" away 3 brigades of Russians, there was nothing left in front of the Prussians except a yawning gap in the Russian front line....an extreme example though.

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:24 pm

I have spent several mortgage payments on the figures for this as yet unplayed but much read set of rules.

If they do not meet my exacting requirements, Dropbear, you have full authority to do that thing your name implies.

They look great, actually.

Phantom Agent

Post by Phantom Agent » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:49 pm

starkadder wrote:I have spent several mortgage payments on the figures for this as yet unplayed but much read set of rules.

If they do not meet my exacting requirements, Dropbear, you have full authority to do that thing your name implies.

They look great, actually.
come to the Cumberland meeting in Feb and take command of a force...you'll love it....Prussians V Reichsarmee, I know who'll win...

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:02 pm

Phantom Agent-san, are you condemning me to the role of punching-bag for a rampant Prussian?

I think that playing French or Reichsarmee (or Saxon) fits in with the peculiar mindset of British soccer and cricket fans. You can be beaten about the face and body for years by Prussian uber-truppen.

Then comes the day that you actually win one and nothing else has ever mattered.

I cite the 1966 World Cup - they still dine out on that one and the 2005 Ashes - (In 2003, I was actually abused as a cheat and a liar at the SCG by a drunken and crazed lobster-red Yorkshireman - the previous fifteen years meant NOTHING to him). The latter incident was very curious as I was dressed in a linen suit, regimental tie and panama hat and he was in a blue singlet and shorts. His brain had short-circuited.

But I digress.

One day the Reichsarmee shall defeat the Prussians. And on that day...

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:09 am

Ok, despite discussion of possible one sided battles, I have ordered a copy of the rules... I can always sell them if i don't like them :P

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:18 am

I bought them, but I doubt that i will ever play the rules. They are too abstract for me and I dont care for stands representing brigades. That's just me though. I prefer to game with battalions.

And what's wrong with IGO-UGO? :twisted:

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:22 am

ah, but one of the things i have read on M&R is that you can use the stands to represent battalions instead of brigades! Radical, I know! :P

As for IGO-UGO (apart from sounding like a anime cartoon about pocket monsters fighting each other :lol: :lol: :lol: ) - it is boring and predicable.