rules for this period..

For discussion regarding all things to do with our emergence from the Dark Ages to the Seven Years War, FIW, AIW and everything else through the Age of Reason.
Cardinal Biggles

rules for this period..

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:10 am

This period of wargaming has never reached its potental in my opinion and I imagine it is the rules. There is no shortage of excellent figures but where are the rules? and is it the number of diverse troop types? Ancienst seem to have survived and thrived while covering 2, 000 years while the Renaiassance cant sort out less than 300 years. What do the players of this period think is the strength and the weakness of their chosen area of interest? :wink:

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Post by Admin Fella » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:37 pm

As it would happen Scott (formaerly of Elite Miniatures) is doing a 28mm Eastern Renaissance game this weekend in 28mm. I see if i can get some more details. :)

red_bug_eyed_monsters

Rules - systems?

Post by red_bug_eyed_monsters » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:40 pm

Guys,

I played amny scenarios in a system on a boardgame called Crossbows and Cannons which was easily interpretable into miniatures. Loved the games. Loved the period and would love a bash using decent rules and figures for mini's!

Cheers

RBEM of the WWW!

red_bug_eyed_monsters

Post by red_bug_eyed_monsters » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:40 pm

Please read that as MANY!

Phantom Agent

Fluffy Pants

Post by Phantom Agent » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:21 pm

g'day,
Have had a heap of games using DBR set of rule. Own 2 armies, a Spanish Imperial Army and Turks. Great fun a period that offers the birth of firearm warfare along with nasty long sticks, dudes riding around in full plate armour on full plated horses. The beginnings of modern warfare.

Grant

dlancy

The campaign rules Basic Impetus

Post by dlancy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:06 pm

A cracking campaign for next year is starting to to shape. It looked like there could be as many as 8, or 9 players/armies.

Rules for the campaign are still open for discussion. Suggestions so far have been the old and trusted WRG, DBR (with larger and more units), Chris's idea of adapting a fantasy set for the period. Pike and Shot has been tossed into the ring. AND, "Basic Impetus", as seen on the vexia site.

http://www.dadiepiombo.com/impetus2.html

A simplefied version can be downloaded from the link above.

Research into the best supplier for the Venexia figures to fit out at least 4 new armies. (Canberra, or, direct with the Italian manufactuer)

ANY advice or prior dealings would be of great help.

VIVA De Medici

Viva Milano!!!

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:16 pm

had a bit of trouble downloading the basic rules but , impetus, but did like the look of the army lists, and the idea that you can combine DBR bases to make their "super bases". I have to say I am in...i needed an excuse to go landsknecht!!!

dlancy

I'm glad you are up for it!

Post by dlancy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:36 pm

When we are ready to order the figures (a couple of weeks away) I'll be seeking your advice on the best method of purchasing them. I must say I do like the political scullduggery that this will bring out in all. :wink: Heavens to Bettsy this could actually mean that the 2 different sides of the Cumberland group could enjoy a campaign together.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:48 pm

Was most interested in a link that went to Renaiiasance Warmaster but it wouldn't work...still like the look of Invictus but cant get it to work ...

Phantom Agent

Post by Phantom Agent » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 pm

I'm lookin forward to gettin my puffy pants on...Michael, I've got the spaniards and turks..we could try out some rule sets...get the juices flowing and all that..

dlancy

Post by dlancy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:55 am

sounds great!

dlancy

Canberra a no go a go go!

Post by dlancy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:20 pm

I've just got the cattledog from the Venexia dealer in Canberra. What a dissapointment!!!. Short on range, big on price! Soooooooo....

It looks like a group order to the guys in Italy. Chris, can you help out with your prior dealings?

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:45 pm

looked at the impetus rules interesting but a bit confusingly latin for an anglo Celt like me..actually I am really not good with any rules..however, now I have adobe 8.1 I might ttry the Warmaster spot again..

Cardinal Biggles

Re: Canberra a no go a go go!

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:57 pm

dlancy wrote:I've just got the cattledog from the Venexia dealer in Canberra. What a dissapointment!!!. Short on range, big on price! Soooooooo....

It looks like a group order to the guys in Italy. Chris, can you help out with your prior dealings?
I actually never dealt with them, I just knew somebody who did...he found it more than a little taxing and had quite a bit of a haggle about what seemed to him and me very very excessive postage, I would actually get Essex myself, a lot easier to deal with and I like their figures..
Last edited by Cardinal Biggles on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:00 pm

and roughly what sort of numbers are we looking at, I will do mine as DBR, which seems to use the universal 40mm frontage, even the Invictus set in its Latin ate beguiling basic set uses a multiple of this but untill we sort out rules...for one I would rather chop my head off than use Gush , so if the group goes for Gush I vote footwise..

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:03 pm

the warmaster for Renaissance seems to no long work, but hey , so what still can be done using the warmaster fantasy and leave out the magic and add in a few period rules, the added bonus is they can be dowloaded for FREE

dlancy

a combined Milanese/Venetian army

Post by dlancy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:12 am

I'll see what the turn around time is for figures from the Muma country. Their prices and postage seem quite reasonable.

venexia@venexiaminiatures.com

As for rule sets.... Ahhhhhhhhhhh the dis-i-prin and frustration of all!!!

If you can post the link I'll download them and have a squiz. I'm happy to go with a set that gives all concerned a great days gaming and gives everyone a chance of victory and fun.

I'm looking at a combined Milanese/Venetian army based on the WRG list for later 15th century. I'm happy to base 40mm to fit in with existing armies.

I must say I am looking forward to this.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:30 am

Andyfb
A Pony
A Pony
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Post by Andyfb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:33 am

What about the "Maximillian" ruleset..seems it's quite close to DBA ...mainly for the Italian wars but could be altered????

I always liked the look of them but never took the plunge myself.

Cheers Andy :)

dlancy

essex figuers

Post by dlancy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:12 pm

Had a look at Essex's range.... Venexia produce a much better casting for the money. So the recruiting will begin in around 2 weeks. What kind of numbers do you all think armies are consisting of?

Numbers of various untis and unit strengths.....

Cav units @ 12 figures & infantry @ 24?

Or, is it a points situation? I will be placing an order soon and I'd like to know what I am getting.

Phantom Agent

Post by Phantom Agent » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:34 pm

DBR is based on each stand...stands for infantry can vary...2,3 or 4 figs..depending on what they historically did..2 figs for a skirmish stand with 4 for a company of pike or shot...Cav. also vary, 2 figs for lights 3 figs normally and petronels have 4. Stands are combined to make up parent units. DBR uses points for each stand when calculating armies...eg shot could be 6 pts and you would have 4 figs per stand. Probably upto 12 stands with an equal amount of pikes.

A Milanese army of early 16th C may very well be Imperial Spanish, with Landschnekt mercanaries.. or Italian's. Milan was part of the "Spanish Road...". It was used to move armies from that part of the world to the Spanish Netherlands, hopping from one pro-catholic or even spanish state, to another. Needing very delicate diplomacy to ensure the army got there.

dlancy

Post by dlancy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:47 pm

I'll be equiping my Milanese army with 2 Venexia army packs. That should represent a resonable size army.

http://www.venexiaminiatures.com./english.html

dlancy

Post by dlancy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:01 pm

Hi guys Iwill be ready to place my order for 2 army packs from Venexia in 2 weeks. I'll be ordering:

1 x Venitian Army Pack (45 Euro)

1 x Charles V Imperial Army Pack (42 Euro)

It would be a good idea if we combined the order to save on postage. So If we could coordinate our order soon we can get the "painiting aspect started asap. After all, it's the gaming that is the important part.

Let me know your thoughts.

Michael

0406 604 650