Huzzah!! Dieu, cripes, etc etc..

For discussion regarding all things to do with our emergence from the Dark Ages to the Seven Years War, FIW, AIW and everything else through the Age of Reason.
starkadder

Huzzah!! Dieu, cripes, etc etc..

Post by starkadder » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:44 am

Yesterday I spoke to a very nice person from Front Rank and ordered a big wodge of "Frenchmen, standing about idly".

The adventure begins...

I don't think I have enough standard bearers. Can you have too many standard bearers?

Gosh, but the tension is unbearable. I do hope it lasts. (Thank you Oscar Wilde.)

CdM

Re: Huzzah!! Dieu, cripes, etc etc..

Post by CdM » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:48 pm

Front Rank huzzah. I always get excited visiting their page but disappointed it updates sooo slowly.

I have too many standard bearers, I like two per formation now and also attach them to division and corps commander stands with the commanders name as part of the flag.

Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:30 am

CdM-like the Avatar.

Starkadder- looking forward to seeing your Frenchmen.

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:24 am

I wish that I could say the same about meeting your Prussians, dear Pz.

I fear the encounter may prove psychologically destructive to an effete such as myself.

Still, all for honour.

I'm thinking of throwing a few Indians into the mix. With a bit of creative coordination I can use blue cuffed Frenchmen in a variety of theatres (mostly the Folies-Bergere).

Incidentally, does anyone know if there is a manufacturer who does French light and irregular such as the Miquelets? They're very distinctive and I may have to scratch build a unit just for a bit of fun.

andygamer
A Middy
A Middy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Post by andygamer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:04 am

London War Room does 28mm Spanish Mountain Fusiliers that can be used for the French (and Piedmontese) version.

andygamer
A Middy
A Middy

Post by andygamer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 am

Sorry that the picture isn't that large. Maybe you can download it and view it using the magnifying glass feature of a graphics programme? They're probably pictured at the London War Room site.

And FYI the white figure at the top right is a Dixon Wolfe; and the figure at the top left is a Foundry Prussian SYW officer included for size comparison.

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 am

Thanks for that, A-G. I'll hunt them down.

They may have been absolute rubbish but they do add character.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:59 am

in Might&Reason they aren't absolute rubbish unless you want to stand up to highly discipined regulars in the open, and frankly who doesn't relish the chance of doing just that!

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:06 pm

I don't care what they are in Might and Reason. In real life, they were utter rubbish.
Even their own commanders thought they were rubbish.

It's just that they have that cute beret thingy and a nice cape and bare feet. And very bad teeth.

Perfect, really.

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 am

And they have arrived. Brand spanking new shiny Frenchmen.

It may show how long I've been away but these Front Rank figures are certainly the nicest 18th Century figures I have ever handled.

Truly wonderful. The wildly gesturing sergeant is a worry but I may transfer a few of 'em to the artillery as range finders.

Congratulations also to Front Rank for handling a dinosaur such as myself so deftly. It was a five-star ordering experience.

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:45 pm

mm london war room, must have a look, thinking about wonderful colourful ottomans myself

cheers
matt
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:12 am

Now listen here, Bluewillow, enough of this Ottoman madness. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect you of wearing brightly coloured puffy silk shirts and shiny trousers.

If I may make a modest proposal, travel forward in time to Mehemet Alis' Egyptian armies of 1810-1850 particularly when his son Ibrahim Pasha was commanding. A terribly underrated army, commander and theatre. And incredibly fascinating. I've been studying him (Ibrahim) for over a decade now. There's a wonderful book called All the Pasha's men about them.

Had a good line on Istanbul too. "Please Dad, can I capture it? Please? Please?"

One of my other areas of interest is Tsar Nicholas II and the Russians from 1815-1854. A self-deluding army in decline with great uniforms and an abiding hatred of Ottoman Turks. Find out why Chechens are rated as untermensch by the Russians.

If you never read any other Tolstoy, read his Sketches from Sevastopol. There's a Penguin Classic translation. They are effectively pieces of journalism, very easy and clear, but devastating.

The army's easy to paint as well.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:24 am

Starkie , leave the Willow alone, he can do both!

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:30 am

In deference to the Good Kardinal, dear Bluewillow, you should commission him to paint both of them for you. And some Chechens.

Count Barsebäck

Post by Count Barsebäck » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:18 pm

They are rubbish in Koenig Krieg, but effective if used properly and you dont let anything attack or shoot to much at them

But they do have a red cape

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:46 am

The red cape makes all the difference...

And in lte breaking news....
More Frenchmen have been ordered. The dreaded Legion approaches.
Maurice de Saxe would be proud. Anyone whose cause of death is listed as "un excess des femmes" has to be admired.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:49 am

and his Grandfather was instrumental in destroying the Parthenon..sex and vandalism..a heady genetic mix..

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:21 am

Pz Ferdinand sent his spies out yesterday trying to ascertain the level of my forces. I artfully misdirected him into thinking that I was raising a force of Dahomeyan amazons.

He never suspected. Bwahahahah.

The thought of him painting a Dutch force fills me with caution though. A dagger pointed at the heart of Versailles, no less.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:40 am

if he is painting them his hand holding the dagger may have grown feeble with age..I though Dahomey and the Dutch patched up their problems..?

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:33 am

Only in terms of who got to file their teeth and what was acceptable cuisine. "Going Dutch" would have been of particular concern.

Interesting pointy hats though.

andygamer
A Middy
A Middy

Post by andygamer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:59 am

You can't boil the Cardinal--he's a friar!

Ronan the Librarian

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:07 am

I thought he was a chip monk......

Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:34 am

Funnily enough,this is the quote from my desk diary today-

'A pun is not bound by the laws which limit nicer wit.It is a pistol let off at the ear; not a feather to tickle the intellect'-Charles Lamb.

(Having let off a few such pistol shots myself in my time, I don`t think Mr Lamb would`ve appreciated our sense of humour,Ronan)

starkadder

Post by starkadder » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:09 am

Charles Lamb had a very unhappy childhood mostly due to his unfortunate surname. How many times must he have been subjected to "Lamb" jokes? A good indicator of his pyche is that his most-famous essay was "Roast Pork", an obvious and desperate attempt at misdirection away from his own unfortunate cognomen.

Keep it up, lads. Give Lamb the chop.

Pz. Ferdinand
The Slab
The Slab

Post by Pz. Ferdinand » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:18 am

Yes, no doubt Mr Lamb was given a good roasting from time to time.