Today in the Post...............

To discuss everything and anything that you do not want lost in the smokey, beer swilling haze of the Public Bar. Comedy, Music, Books, Videos............anything (civilised) really.
Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Today in the Post...............

Post by Admin Fella » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:06 am

I am looking forward to reading all of these. I have not read a memoir before, so that should be very interesting and i believe Guy Sajers novel is very good also. It will certainly keep me occupied for the next few weeks. :)

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Re: Today in the Post...............

Post by Dropbear » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:39 am

I enjoyed "The Forgotten Soldier" and have re-read it a few times, so I hope you will enjoy it as well :)

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:49 pm

I just have to pace myself at the moment. I just finished reading "The Popes" by John Julius Norwich (very interesting look at the development of the papacy as we know it today from Peter to Benedict) and I am now part way through "The Great War" by Les Carlyon. This is quite a moving read so far.

Manstein should be very interesting from a commanders perspective and Forgotten Soldier from a "soldiers" perspective. :? :D

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin Fella » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Finished Forgotten Soldier today. Very interesting read. To live over 2 years in such fear and poor conditions is truly sad. I know there has been some questions about the authenticity of the book, but i dont think critics have taken into account here was only 16 when he joined and barely 18 at the end. His perspective on the world, its details and recollections would be totally different to those of an older generation.

We read all our history titles about the war, but his account of the chaos, uncertainty, fear and conditions gives pause to the sanitised reading we are use to.

I was quite surprised though he never sought out his "love" and best friend after the war. The only strange part for me.

Overall a worthwhile read.

+1 from me. :)

Paul
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Post by Paul » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:10 pm

The forgotten soldier..I read that when it came out with a pic of a soldier holding an MG42 on the front. Great read..although he makes a few historical mistakes, his recounitng of him and his mate sewing the G.D badge onto the left sleeve for example.
RARO SENEX MUTAT SENTENTIAM

Paul's Bods

Federation of Bodstonia