WW2 Book I just reserved from my local library

To discuss everything and anything that you do not want lost in the smokey, beer swilling haze of the Public Bar. Comedy, Music, Books, Videos............anything (civilised) really.
Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

WW2 Book I just reserved from my local library

Post by Dropbear » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:10 pm

I just reseved this book:

The Bone Man of Kokoda by Charles Happell (non fiction)

"Kokichi Nishimura was a member of the 2nd battalion, 144th Regiment of the Japanese Imperial Army. In 1942 he fought along every foot of the Kokoda Track as the Japanese attempted to take Port Moresby. The only man from his company to survive, he was evacuated to safety and made a promise that one day he would return to his comrades and bring them home to Japan for proper burial. In 1979, he shocked his family by returning to New Guinea to search for the remains of Japanese soldiers. For the next 25 years, Nishimura lived alone along the Kokoda Track. Armed only with a metal detector, a mattock and a shovel, he searched for his dead comrades. Over the years he found hundreds of them - some he was able to identify and return their bones to their families; others were unknown, and their remains were sent to Japan's official shrine for its war dead in Tokyo. His story is an incredible adventure that gives us a radically different viewpoint on a battle that has become part of our national myth. Paperback, photographs, 272 pages."

It sounds very interesting - anyone read it yet?

If not, I will let the forum know what it was like once I have read it myself.

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Re: WW2 Book I just reserved from my local library

Post by Admin Fella » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:26 pm

sounds very interesting. An insight into "the other side" that is for sure.

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:29 am

I am about half way through this book, and I am enjoying it so far.

It doesnt gloss over anything, proabaly quite the opposite, but it doesn't pass judgement nor make excuses for events that happened.

At the moment I am reading about cannibalism - the Japanese ate the dead allies at once stage due to no supplies :cry: :cry:

I hadn't heard of this before, so it was a bit of a surprise.

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:26 pm

I haven't read the book, but I did seea documentry on him, what a great way to honour the dead.

cheers
matt
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Dropbear » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:22 am

The guy is amazing - run over by a tractor just weeks before he was to start his project to find the remains of his fellow soldiers and hurt so badly that he should have died.

As an engineer he was designing things decades before others thought of things, and even invented an artillery round that used magnets so there was no muzzle flash.

Also just read how the americans emptied a Japanese hospital of all the sick and wounded left behind after the Japanese evacuation from PGN and lined them up on a runway and drove tanks and trucks over them to kill them. Why haven't those americans been tried for war crimes? :(

Incitatus

Post by Incitatus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:11 am

Drop bear

Sadly some Americans sometimes believe they have the God given right to act as they please. See Dick Cheney's response to an investigation into allegations the CIA tortured prisoners.

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Post by Admin Fella » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:20 pm

Victors are heroes not war criminals. Plenty done by allies we never hear about, i heard of yanks burring iraqis alive in their bunkers in the 1st gulf war. The Australian war crimes court held at Rabual i think after war. Found guilty, taken outside and summarily shot.

I suppose as the victor and knowing what happened and the type of enemy you had faced would have been justifiable to them at the time. Anyway, maybe a topic for another time. :-|