Opinons of Cornwall, Obrien and Kent

To discuss everything and anything that you do not want lost in the smokey, beer swilling haze of the Public Bar. Comedy, Music, Books, Videos............anything (civilised) really.
Greywolf

Re: Opinons of Cornwall, Obrien and Kent

Postby Greywolf » Mon May 11, 2009 8:09 pm

Conrad Hawkwood wrote:
Greywolf wrote:And he's one of my hero's,up there with Montrose and ( a new entry) Loudon. Yes and no! :lol: :lol:

so he had a mullet but wore a hat..
actually this could be a range of figures to go with Starkers horses, a topic which has, frankly , foundered..Loudon , one of those German scotsmen..are you going to do his freikorp , quite fetching in red and green, though possibly not your favourite colours to paint..

Yes and funnily yes. oh yes and foundered :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 pm

maybe a range of great mullets of the military, actually that Eureka Beowulf has something of a long mullet, looks a bit too much like a surfie for me to warm to it..Grendel ,on the other hand , is all troll but for a hero chewing , spawn of the damned , creature of the night seems a little out of character regarding his modesty about his schlong and associated bits..

Sparker
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Postby Sparker » Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Well, my two cent's worth; I seem to be unusual in that I like CS Forester, RF Delderfield, Mallinson and Cornwell! I can see that the latter is a little bit more of a bodice ripper, but still highly enjoyable, and has done us all a great service by bringing this period into popular consciousness.

BTW, I have had the great pleasure of meeting Brig. Mallinson in the flesh, and a true gent he is too, and very knowledgeable, as you might expect.
Kind Regards,

Sparker

'By the grace of God and the kindness of Her Majesty, Lieutenant Royal Navy (Ret'd)'

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com/

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Wed May 13, 2009 10:05 pm

well sparker well put..and I must admit I would like to meet Alan Malleson as well..

Cacadores
A Schooner
A Schooner

Postby Cacadores » Thu May 14, 2009 3:55 am

Cornwall is a good writer: in certain aspects; a great writer. His strength, in my opinion, is plot, when is episodic and heavily turns on dialogue and 'cliff hangers', making it very readable. Purple passages are replaced by sensory descriptions as his characters' needs are basic. Thus the language is just sparse enough for the plot to engage. He's the John Grisham of the rifle brigade and has Grisham's downsides too. For the Peninsular War enthusiast, the backgrounds are realistic and, following a chapter or two of a Peninsula history book, they make very compatable reading. The language and descriptions of relationships can be repetitive: there's always a lot of 'flensing' and 'flaying' going on and if you believe that human import lies with the result of conscious thought, then the lack of introspection can make the books seem of little consequence. I might only suggest that you try reading Kinkaid's first-person narratives of his life as a rifleman to see the number of accurate parallels to real life.

As for O'Brian: his dialogues are simply embarrasingly wrong. Most of his charcters are practical men engaged in war, yet their dialogue makes full use of the passive voice, unnessesary linking structures and a completely cock-eyed formalistic structure so totally out of synch with men with jobs to do. Sentances are filed up with adjectives and adverbs at random - presumably to give the dialogue a 19th centuary feel. All it does for me is make me think that O'Brian is trying to copy the fomalistic prose you find in period letters rather than in real speech. Furthermore, what passes for insight into his characters for me simply looks like random focussing on irrelavent details with a worrying penchant for relationship analysis. I'd rather let someone else read his books and watch a telephone-flinger in the screenplay.
Patrick O'Brian once said of himself,
"Obviously, I have lived very much out of the world: I know little of present-day Dublin or London or Paris, even less of post-modernity, post-structuralism, hard rock or rap, and I cannot write with much conviction about the contemporary scene."
His lack of grounding in real life and the character Stephen Maturin frankly irritates :wink:.

I reckon :wink:

Moreover, can this be explaned rationally?

Roger Whittaker
Bernard Cornwall

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Thu May 14, 2009 9:43 am

well argued , can't agree..Cornwall's whole approach is at best two dimensional ..his plots are contrived to the point of repetitive unbelievability , he has a serious problem with women, his characters think and act in an anachronistic manner, lacking depth and perception and verge seriously upon being racial stereotypes, representations, his villains are stage villains of the worst order, he gets his uniform details wrong.. he is the historical writer who fails to catch the mood, the setting , atmosphere or the attitudes of the period he writes about..it is boy's own stuff of the worst order , the stereotypical Heroic loner who is seemingly indiffernt to others, strong man for weak plots and readers.. , insolent, more intelligent than everybody else, never wrong, totally out of time, bankrupt characterisation, poor writing style,contrived plots , lack of technical detail, hackneyed and predictable villains...all in all awful stuff for the spotties to lazy to read better.

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby greatwhitezulu » Thu May 14, 2009 11:38 am

Cacs,

Well said. Much better argued than Hawkwood :D
No Longer The Maharajah of Golconda
But still THE Greatwhitezulu
The Liberator, The Sitting Thunder
The Bull Elephant, Breaker of Tyrants
The Cunning Leopard, Father of the Sky
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Thu May 14, 2009 12:05 pm

and better illustrated..

starkadder
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 98

Postby starkadder » Thu May 14, 2009 5:57 pm

They're all rubbish compared to Barbara Cartland.

I take it that people like Erich Maria Remarque and Stephen Crane don't count? Or am I getting this increasingly strange discourse wrong?

Incidentally, for anyone who claims that Tolstoy is too hard, read Sevastopol Sketches. It is the genuine inspiration for his excellent characterisations of common soldiers in War and Peace. And it's short.
Starkadder.
But those to whom justice and sanctity of life is dear,
We from their dangerous toils relieve, and save.
- Euripides

Cardinal Biggles

Re: Opinions of Cornwall, Obrien and Kent

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Thu May 14, 2009 6:16 pm

no starkers , though we may be talking more the series writers of Historical novels , rather than the gifted one of,.which would include Thomas Keneally's Confederates, which is the perfect example of a modern author capturing the mood , temperament, attitudes and setting of the period he is depicting, actually WE Johns WWI stories fit into this and they are well written, with depth and display extraordinary accuracy..

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby greatwhitezulu » Thu May 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Gawd, don't start me on Keneally.......
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Thu May 14, 2009 6:22 pm

whats wrong with Keneally? not enough Zulu impis in Blood Red Sister Rose?

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Thu May 14, 2009 6:23 pm

this thread should really be in the reading room...Moderator Chappie?

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby greatwhitezulu » Thu May 14, 2009 6:34 pm

He is a republican to start......

He looks like Cornwall, but less hair
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

hussarbob

Postby hussarbob » Thu May 14, 2009 6:52 pm

The Sharpe books aren't brilliant pieces of literature but are readable enough. I like Delderfield too, and are probab;y a better read than Cornwall. I didn't enjoy Kent and found O'Brien unreadable! Mallinson is good on detail but dull on story line. The John Wilcox books are just silly.

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby greatwhitezulu » Thu May 14, 2009 7:14 pm

Hussarbob,

Good to see you back. Havent seen you around for a while! Agree with you, with the exception of your views on Kent.
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby greatwhitezulu » Thu May 14, 2009 7:17 pm

Anyone got views on Nigel Tranter - I quite enjoyed his Scottish novels.

Nothong beats Rosemary Sutcliffe though 8) 8)
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Thu May 14, 2009 7:44 pm

John Wilcox?

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby greatwhitezulu » Thu May 14, 2009 7:46 pm

have to admit i have never read any wilcox
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Thu May 14, 2009 7:49 pm

Tranters Macbeth novel was one of my all time favourite...moderator, this thread really needs to be moved NOW!!!!!!..to the reading room

Captn Ewald

Postby Captn Ewald » Fri May 15, 2009 2:21 pm

And then of course there is Robert Graves - his Sergeant Lamb novels - OK he tweaks a historical character - are wonderful reads if you can find them - but I have strayed into faction which is a terrible thing to do on a Friday when deadlines need to be met. :)

Greywolf

Postby Greywolf » Fri May 15, 2009 7:48 pm

greatwhitezulu wrote:Anyone got views on Nigel Tranter - I quite enjoyed his Scottish novels.

Nothong beats Rosemary Sutcliffe though 8) 8)

I like Tranter,read his Montrose novels,good stuff.

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Fri May 15, 2009 9:11 pm

a somebody has moved it !

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Postby Admin Fella » Sat May 16, 2009 7:36 am

Good to see the moderators prowling around keeping things in order! :P

Return to “The Den”