Opinons of Cornwall, Obrien and Kent

To discuss everything and anything that you do not want lost in the smokey, beer swilling haze of the Public Bar. Comedy, Music, Books, Videos............anything (civilised) really.
greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Opinons of Cornwall, Obrien and Kent

Postby greatwhitezulu » Thu May 07, 2009 9:46 pm

Bishop Biggles wrote:You suggesting I don't? Have you read Midnight's Children , the Moors last sigh or the Satanic Verses?

Utter rubbish.....Bernard Cornwall has more merit, bringing it back to topic, sort of.....
No Longer The Maharajah of Golconda
But still THE Greatwhitezulu
The Liberator, The Sitting Thunder
The Bull Elephant, Breaker of Tyrants
The Cunning Leopard, Father of the Sky
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Cardinal Biggles

Re: New Perry Rifles greens.

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Thu May 07, 2009 10:04 pm

#$%$#^! cornwall couldn't win the bookend prize..

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Thu May 07, 2009 10:12 pm

you should read Delderfield's Seven Men of Gascony..a far superior read, or even try War and Peace, it includes a number of battles in its arc of narrative (love these useless new terms) well described ..not a lot of bad hair day rifles officers with anachronistic backgrounds and weird chips on their shoulder however..I give it the young Rostov of the Pavlograd Hussars and Prince Andrei Bolkonsky and his Jaegers any day of the week..and Denisov and his guerrillas..great stuff....now a figure of Piere Bezuhov,inside the Great Redoubt, dressed in a white suit and hat crushing the life out of a French officer ..that is a great idea..I think I need to read it for the 5th time..are we back near the topic yet.. or do I have to say some more..actually have you ever read CS Forsters The Gun, there might be a rifles officer in that one

Captn Ewald

Postby Captn Ewald » Mon May 11, 2009 9:11 am

Its a sad day when I feel compelled to agree with Messr Hawkwood :shock: :shock: :shock: but Delderfield's book is a real treat...7 Men from G puts Bernard C in the pulp fiction section where he belongs...fondness for sharpe & co aside.

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 11, 2009 9:20 am

thats a bit hard on Pulp fiction..Cornwall should be in the feck'n BIN

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby greatwhitezulu » Mon May 11, 2009 11:03 am

Hawkwood,

Your opinions on Mallinson, O'Brien and Kent please
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 11, 2009 11:17 am

Mallinson..excellent , amazing attention to detail and a real and certain feel for the period, none of this 20th century attitude dressed up in a green coat and a chio on the shoulder, , M & O'B books have real feeling of being 3 dimensional characters not the shallow series of cardboard cut stereotypes you find in Cornwall's unmitigated trash..Mallison has a keen sense of the social , cultural and political dimension of his setting, ditto for O'Brien , as for Kent not able to say..The only thing that I can say about O'Brien , and may yet say about Mallison, is that he became too fond of, and attached to , his main characters and it began to show..though he does kill off Bonden and Dianna in the last book so...but he was and old man by then, coping with the loss of his beloved wife..things like this seep through
do you want 2,000 words on the subject?

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby greatwhitezulu » Mon May 11, 2009 11:29 am

Conrad Hawkwood wrote:Mallinson..excellent ..... M & O'B books have real feeling of being 3 dimensional characters ......do you want 2,000 words on the subject?

Cant agree with you on that. Found Mallinson and O'Brien to be utter tripe.....

Kent was good for the first 19 books, but way painful now.

Only 2000 words?
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 11, 2009 11:37 am

greatwhitezulu wrote:
Conrad Hawkwood wrote:Mallinson..excellent ..... M & O'B books have real feeling of being 3 dimensional characters ......do you want 2,000 words on the subject?

Cant agree with you on that. Found Mallinson and O'Brien to be utter tripe.....

Kent was good for the first 19 books, but way painful now.

Only 2000 words?

Never read Kent, isn't he sort of Corwall like..two dimesional, fantastic plots etc..How much O'Brien and Mallison have you actually read? where do you stand on CS Forester? If there is a moderator of this forum he should have moved most of this thread to the right place..this is fun playing in the wrong sandbox

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Re: Opinons of Cornwall, Obrien and Kent

Postby Bluewillow » Mon May 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Moved it! :D
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 11, 2009 1:42 pm

still not in the right place should be at
viewforum.php?f=43

Captn Ewald

Postby Captn Ewald » Mon May 11, 2009 2:16 pm

GWZ...they will hang you from the yardarm in the long room for daring to criticise Patrick O'B...surely you are bating poor old Conrad when you venture such an opinion. :o :o :o

Kent is a tad better written than Cornwell but not a patch in style and character development for that matter on O'Brien and Mallinson. Once again Hawkwood and I are in agreement - this trend must stop for there to be any sanity in this forum!

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 11, 2009 2:38 pm

Captn Ewald wrote:GWZ...they will hang you from the yardarm in the long room for daring to criticise Patrick O'B...surely you are bating poor old Conrad when you venture such an opinion. :o :o :o

Kent is a tad better written than Cornwell but not a patch in style and character development for that matter on O'Brien and Mallinson. Once again Hawkwood and I are in agreement - this trend must stop for there to be any sanity in this forum!

actually Cap'n imagine how I feel being in agreement with you , I have a reputation to uphold

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby greatwhitezulu » Mon May 11, 2009 2:43 pm

Anyone who lets Russell Crowe star in a movie based on their writings deserves no sympathy :D l
Siiii-Giiii-Diiii

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 11, 2009 2:50 pm

could have been worse, actually our Russ does a damn fine job..it was Maturin who was miscast and the fact that there was no mention of his spying was a bit odd..

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Postby Admin Fella » Mon May 11, 2009 2:55 pm

I liked Cornwell.

never read any of the others.

As a complete novice to the period, Cornwell did introduce me to the time. Regardless of what is thought of his books, i for me he deserves credit for that. bit like FOW, regardless of what you think of the rules etc, it at least introduces people to historical wargaming and interests. Not digressing here, just trying to show an analogy.

Captn Ewald

Postby Captn Ewald » Mon May 11, 2009 5:44 pm

I also thought Mr South Sydney did an admirable job as Jolly Jack Aubrey. In defence of Maturin, whilst he was a spy he did not always spy and there is a limit to the number of sub-plots that can be fitted into any one movie!

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 11, 2009 5:55 pm

well yes Capn' but he was a spy...pretty important part of the storyline, every storyline from Master and commander to the very end..however..etc..as the movie was a bit of a mish mash...well stop agreeing, it is disconcerting..

starkadder
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 98

Postby starkadder » Mon May 11, 2009 6:05 pm

I liked the stormy bits. Very good, the sailing stormy bits.
Starkadder.
But those to whom justice and sanctity of life is dear,
We from their dangerous toils relieve, and save.
- Euripides

Greywolf

Postby Greywolf » Mon May 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Just read about Harry Smith,then you haven't got to wade through horrible plots......because it's non fiction,just as exciting,even has a young attractive Spanish girl doing brave things(Juana Smith).What more could you ask for?

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 11, 2009 7:39 pm

pray tell more

Greywolf

Postby Greywolf » Mon May 11, 2009 7:50 pm

Conrad Hawkwood wrote:pray tell more

Fought at Badajoz,met Juana,became a colonel after Waterloo.His relationship with Juana lasted over 50 years!This is from memory so excuse the rambling.....his first post,you guessed it..95th Rifles in South America then on to brigade -major with John Moore.He ended up Sir Harry Smith Bart., KCB,died in his seventies.........brain overload :D :shock: :wink:

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 11, 2009 7:54 pm

ah, the source of the town of Ladysmith in South Africa..did he sport a mullet and the amzing inability in the military to ever wear a hat?

Greywolf

Postby Greywolf » Mon May 11, 2009 7:58 pm

And he's one of my hero's,up there with Montrose and ( a new entry) Loudon. Yes and no! :lol: :lol:

Cardinal Biggles

Postby Cardinal Biggles » Mon May 11, 2009 8:06 pm

Greywolf wrote:And he's one of my hero's,up there with Montrose and ( a new entry) Loudon. Yes and no! :lol: :lol:

so he had a mullet but wore a hat..
actually this could be a range of figures to go with Starkers horses, a topic which has, frankly , foundered..Loudon , one of those German scotsmen..are you going to do his freikorp , quite fetching in red and green, though possibly not your favourite colours to paint..

Return to “The Den”