1814 skirmish campaign

For discussion of all things Napoleonic.
Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

1814 skirmish campaign

Postby Dropbear » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:09 am

One of my projects for 2017 is to play a Napoleonic skirmish campaign using AB Figures I have purchased from Eureka Miniatures.

The campaign is set in 1814 and I am using the maps I downloaded from the murat.ca web site. At the moment it looks like the web site is not working, so I was lucky to get the maps before this happened.

I am basing the campaign on historical campaign of 1814 inlvoving the Army of the North (Swedish, Prussian, Russian, Saxon and British troops) vs what the French threw at them. As such, I am using the Low Countries map for my game:

The maps shows towns and cities. I have a starting point, and each game I win will see me progress my army along the road towards the ultimate goal of Paris. If I lose a battle, I get pushed back from whence I came.

Logistics are simple - there are none. It is assumed that they are supplied with what they need, or the forage a bit when required.

I am playing the games at two levels: single unit and multiple units. Single unit games will focus more on pure scenario objectives, where as multiple units will tend to be more battle focused.

Unit sizes: Infantry are 12 figures with an Officer and a Musician. Cavlary are 6 figures with an Officer and a Musician, and a gun and crew equals just that.

I have a variety of different units for the game, so that we can play bigger games or change the unit focus for a particular mission.

Although intended as a same side player game with my friend, it can also double as part solo when he is not available to play.

The rules I am using are 'FiveCore 3rd Edition' by Nordic Weasel games. Whilst intended as a WW2/Modern set of rules, I adapted them for Napoleonic games as they are just that fun and easy to play.

We have played our first game in the campaign, with a win to a unit of British Riflemen vs some Dragoons, and we have tested out a cavalry action to see if the rules will cope with this... which they did with only slight modifications needed.

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Re: 1814 skirmish campaign

Postby Captain Darling » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Good looking Brits Dropbear!

Looking forward to following your campaign (may have to borrow your scenarios!!!)

Cheers
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au

nevermore
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby nevermore » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:33 am

Pretty cool idea Dropbear, always interested in a bit of a campaign game...keep us informed

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby Dropbear » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:42 am

The map is rather hard to read the detail on the image above, and I have a small laminated A4 copy for marking that is just as hard to read.

For the players I have a large map printed out to make it easy on the eyes.

This is a map from a web site indicating the actions of the actual 1814 campaign:

The good thing about the campaign game the way it structured, I can include other armies as well - for example I, or another player, could play out the Prussian or Russian advances at the same time.

The immediate aim of the British is to meet up with the Prussian/Russian forces, so they will be heading east a bit on the map before moving southernly.

As the landing areas on the historical map aren't shown on my campaign map, I have chosen for the British to take Rotterdam as their first town.

If all goes well, the next game will be Prussian vs French, with the Prussians to move westward to meet up with the British.

Captain Darling (or anyone else for that matter): with the figures you have, you could join in the campaign if you wanted by playing the Russian side and entering the map near Dusseldorf and move South Westwardly.

All you would need to do is have a readable copy of the map (I can provide a bigger one) and if you win a game you can advance a town, if you lose, you go back a town. A drawn game would mean a two day battle and you play again to represent the second day.

Once you have played the game, post an AAR on a blog or this forum, and everyone in the game can mark their maps accordingly.

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Postby Captain Darling » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Good concept.

Okay I gave Frenchies, Ruskies and SDS rules...hmmm...I'm in...I'll PM you in the exit few days!

THANX!

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby Dropbear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:50 am

Captain Darling wrote:Good concept.

Okay I gave Frenchies, Ruskies and SDS rules...hmmm...I'm in...I'll PM you in the exit few days!

THANX!

Sweeeet!

Do you want the full sized map image so you can actually see where your troops are going?

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby Dropbear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:56 am

This is an AAR for my first game of the campaign: British Riflemen vs French Dragoons (dismounted).

Please be warned - the miniatures in the photos are unpainted, as I wanted to get the campaign started rather than wait until everything was painted up.

At the moment I am finding it hard to paint as my eyes are getting old and tired... it might be time to have my eyes tested again.

The AAR: http://shelldrakewargames.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/first-game-of-15mm-napoleonic-campaign.html

Game two ended up as a play test for cavalry, and wasn't a real game. The official game two was to be last night, but it was postponed a week.

I might play game 2 as a solo game and make last night's intended game number 3 instead.

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Postby Captain Darling » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 am

Great AAR Dropbear...

Your terrain is looking very good but your figures all look like Austrians! hehe :lol:

Cheers!

nevermore
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby nevermore » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Excellent, this is what wargaming is all about getting stuck in and having fun.

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Postby Captain Darling » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Okay we've discussed this campaign and will definitely play the Russian 'thrust' but as we rotate game themes at our fortnightly catchups I suspect we may fall way behind you Dropbear, well we'll see how we go! One other thing we considered as we will be playing Naps regularly but not always SDS so we may play larger battles in place of a skirmish :D ...I think our first game will be Monday week...

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby Dropbear » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:24 am

Captain Darling wrote: I suspect we may fall way behind you Dropbear, well we'll see how we go! One other thing we considered as we will be playing Naps regularly but not always SDS so we may play larger battles in place of a skirmish :D ...I think our first game will be Monday week...

That depends... I might have to play solo games to keep the ball rolling myself.

I hope to be playing a game this coming Monday - the scenery is set up and it is a British on the defensive against some French line.

Larger battles will work for the campaign too - as long as a game is played it will work.

Return to “The Rum Rebellion to Waterloo Room”