6mm Napoleonics - Russians

For discussion of all things Napoleonic.
Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

6mm Napoleonics - Russians

Postby Captain Darling » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi All,

With the release of the Blucher Rule Set I'm now finally basing my 6mm Napoleonics.

I'm starting with my Russian troops. I'll be basing infantry and cavalry on 40mm x 20mm bases, artilley and commanders on 20mm x 20mm bases, this will allow me the maximum flexability to use various sets of rules. These Russians are the first of around 3,1000 figures I've done over quite a period.

Here's some pictures, the sabot base included is a test which I'll use for smaller Blucher games and is 80mm x 50mm.

Cheers!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Re: 6mm Napoleonics - Russians

Postby Dropbear » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:56 am

yet again some lovely work from you Darling. I also like that you are basing them so you can use various rules with the figures.

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Postby Captain Darling » Sat May 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Thanks Dropbear!

The rules I have in mind are Blucher, Lasalle, Rank & File and March Attack but this basingwill handle anything using square or rectangular format :D ...

Cheers!

Gustav
a Shandy
a Shandy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 93

Postby Gustav » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Do not tempt me with these smaller scales - I have enough trouble getting my 28mm's done.

Worst is I am now beginning to think of some Russians as my next project.
Possibly - Russo-Finnish/Swedish War and / or 1809 Danube

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Postby Captain Darling » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:16 am

Hey Gustav,

I am moving over to 6mm for all my 'periods of interest'. It gives a good look of a battlefield with movement and firing ranges being 'more in scale' (for me anyway). Also I can fit a larger battlefield onto my gaming table.

I am keeping my old 1/72, 15mm and 28mm figures though. The 28mm are now used exclusively for skirmish type games.

Cheers
Pete

Gustav
a Shandy
a Shandy

Postby Gustav » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:43 pm

Capt Darling

I do think in many ways you are indeed right about movement and ranges. I was tremendously impressed with the terrain work done by Bruce Weigle which I am sure you are familiar with but just in case linkage below.
http://www.g-design.us/bruce/BrucesTerrainBuildingArticle.pdf

However, although I like this grand tactical view I love the minis at 28mm too much to forgo them at present. Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place to choose. In some ways this is the most frustrating thing about this hobby, it is the sheer diversity on offer and how easy it is to be side tracked. I am being seriously tempted by Bolt Action / CoC and WW2 atm as well. Let alone doing Spanish and other more exotic forces for the Peninsular.

Dropbear
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby Dropbear » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:08 am

Gustav wrote: I am being seriously tempted by Bolt Action / CoC and WW2 atm as well. Let alone doing Spanish and other more exotic forces for the Peninsular.

If I may add my mumble opinion to this: I own and play both Bolt action and Chain of Command.

Bolt Action is very glossy and full of eye candy, is very much like Warhammer in many regards, but just didn't feel right and left us (myself and those I game with) asking more questions than actually playing the game.

Chain of Command is a hell of a lot more fun and we have had some interesting tactical (i.e. fun and entertaining) situations to deal with thanks to the deployment rules used to set up the game.

We ended up playing CoC with 20mm figures as it worked out heaps cheaper - that and the fact I already has Australian and Japanese troops in abundance before buying the rules.

I would recommend finding someone with both set of rules (and hopefully enough troops for each side) so you can try them before diving in to getting your figures and rules books. This way you can make sure you are happy with your choice.

Bolt Action also has the problem of needing to buy another supplement book to get your favourite army list. Chain of Command is pretty much stand alone, although you can buy supplements - but they are not needed.

It also helped that TFL posted videos on you tube to explain (read promote and sell) their CoC rules, as it gives you a good idea on how the game is played: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiT70m6CJO8

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Postby Captain Darling » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:51 am

Hey Gustav,

Yeah Ive seen Bruce's work before I wish I could emulate it!

I am preparing to run an ACW Longstreet table at Little Wars Adelaide next month and am putting the final touches to the terrain, luckily there were no built up areas around the battlefield at Olustee the battle I'm 'simulating' just a rail line and small station. So only two building stands are required but lots of trees though :D ...

My WIP Olustee station platform...

Cheers

fanai
The Slab
The Slab

Postby fanai » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Capt Darling - love your wee fellows and after spending too many years doiny 18/15mm figures for the same reason you do 6mm my mate has taken to doing grand Regt of Union and Confederate in 40mm - crazy yep but I will never jump on another gamer for differing opinion on rules and figure size - we do both sides and some of the guys don't have to bring anything to our games
Painting is a Journey not a destination

Gustav
a Shandy
a Shandy

Postby Gustav » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Thx for the advice dropbear - I had kinda reached that conclusion myself based on BP.
However, was thinking that perhaps a simplified BA would be good / suitable as a starter for playing with my 8 year old son.

umm apologies long way from 6mm Russians now.
Actually though I am leaning towards doing the 1808-9 Russo Swedish war as a project once my Peninsular stuff is done. Mainly as I always wanted to do some Swedish troops.

Return to “The Rum Rebellion to Waterloo Room”