Little Wars (Adelaide) Approaches, so do the French Frigates

For discussion of all things Napoleonic.
straylight
A Pony
A Pony
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Little Wars (Adelaide) Approaches, so do the French Frigates

Postby straylight » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:24 pm

Preparing for Little Wars (Adelaide) on saturday 12 July and the ships are now ready to engage the enemy.

http://www.littlewars.com.au/

I'm running the game "A willing foe and sea room" (Naval Officer's toast for Friday night mess dinners) using 1:600 scale plastic ships and a highly modified version of the "Trafalgar" (GW) ruleset.

sP6090028.jpg
sP6090028.jpg (91.4 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

A few of the ships, the British line (background) runs downwind and prepares for the opening broadside.

sP6090039.jpg
sP6090039.jpg (156.43 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

..and sure enough, the ships in the van open up.

This should be a quick paced game and after a few practice runs, using both 1:1200 and 1:600 ships, most of the wrinkles are sorted.

For those who have played Trafalgar, the important changes are:

less difficult to tack (what self respecting captain fails a normal tack and damages his own foremast ?)
change in tacking maneouvre
simplified turning
more restrictive broadside arcs
no penalty for fire as she bears (to get around the I-Go-U-Go issue)
much reduced sailing arcs (c'mon, even 12m racing yachts can't sail that close to the wind)
modified damage tables (so damage is more progressive, rather than, for example, losing all cannonades)
less fickle winds (the wind does not really veer and back and changes force every few minutes)
simplified collision rules
simplified boarding rules with adjustment to crew strengths[/list]

I've stuck with the movement and range scales in Trafalgar, It is designed to be a fast paced, dice rolling game of minimal (but important) record keeping so that novices can join in, play a few turns under guidance and then be left in command of their ship. I'll be running the game as a come and try it, stay for as long as you like, throw in extra ships to keep it moving along.

I bought the ships a few years ago and have added just the one extra. Close inspection reveals them to be variations on the Revell kit, HMS VICTORY. By cutting down the decks at the waterline, shortening the masts and creative painting, it is possible to get a range of ship types. The difference in gun deck length between a 3 decker, a 74 and a frigate isn't that much. With due respect to the previous owner, the rigging is a bit, well, cosmetic rather than representative, but they do look quite good !

feedback and your participation in LW Adelaide welcomed.

stu

Captain Darling
The Slab
The Slab

Re: Little Wars (Adelaide) Approaches, so do the French Frig

Postby Captain Darling » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Hey Stu,

How many HMS Victory's can a man have :lol: !

Looking like an excellent fleet there!

Did you try any gap filler ocean bases?

Since I'm just hanging around and helping with odd jobs on July 12 I may have to cruise up to the table yell "ahoy mateys!" and try a game.

Too many modern and alternative games for me to play (I know I'm an old fart) there's not much WW II, ACW (none in fact) or Napoleonic. May have to turn my hand at some ancients they can be a hoot.

Will email you later in the week may have some time for gaming this weekend if you're free...

Cheers!
Pete
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au

straylight
A Pony
A Pony

Postby straylight » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:39 pm

awesome, thanks Pete,

there could be an ACW game on offer at LW, I heard :)

even if you set it up, I'm sure there will be time enough to play a few turns. If we were on adjacent tables, I'd be happy to give you a hand in between broadsides. Trafalgar really is that simple to master. Yours would be the only 6mm table there, and worth it for that reason alone.

I didn't get around to the gap-sealer bases. I went with a cliched blue table as I really ran out of oomph to do justice to a sea grey/green/breakers table. Blue matched the bases on the VICTORYs and with a bit of brush stroking and shading, I got a bit of a swell happening. I also got the HK package and some plastic water sheeting at a really good price, so now I don't know which way to turn.

Think on Longstreet though, perfection is the enemy of excellence, Longstreet would be an excellent addition and we could make it work.

stu

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Postby Admin Fella » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:27 am

Just saw this nicely done.

What do you think of that "sails of glory" or whatever it is called?? Playable?

straylight
A Pony
A Pony

Postby straylight » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:31 am

I haven't played it, but it makes good sense. Like Wings of Glory, it overcomes the most difficult issue, that of simultaneous movement.

It just looks and feels wrong to have one ship move up alongside another, to have the other ship then move off in its turn. I resolved that by allowing "Fire as You Bear" without penalty in Trafalgar. Sails of Glory would break the move down into very small discrete and pre-chosen moves, which are executed simultaneously.

As long as they get the range of maneouvres correct, with respect to the win, it looks like a great concept.

Return to “The Rum Rebellion to Waterloo Room”