Napoleonic 28mm game Austrians v French

For discussion of all things Napoleonic.
nevermore
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Postby nevermore » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:06 pm

http://grimsbywargamessociety.webs.com/

Wombat
a Shandy
a Shandy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Re: Napoleonic 28mm game Austrians v French

Postby Wombat » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:14 am

Nice collection of figures. Thanks for posting them. Was it a French victory?

paintpig
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 93

Postby paintpig » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:41 am

Love the Austrians uniform, it is a pity I hate painting white, I would definitely have some Elite Austrians otherwise :?

Thanks for sharing this nevermore, great looking game. How did the Mamalukes fare ol'boy?
regards
Dave

The fig v fig blog: from bayonets to breechloaders
The iNation blog: the hesse-kassoulet kronicles

Admin Fella
Site Admin
Site Admin
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 92

Postby Admin Fella » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Nice stuff mate, love the farm house in particular. :)

nevermore
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby nevermore » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:24 am

Ok the mamalukes got a good battering but besides that it was a french victory, rules are BP but i feel the rules dont work very well for this period, maybe thats why they are bringing out a BP Napoleonic rules out soon, because they way the french smash through the british lines is a joke and they dont give you a feel of this period, i love the rules but its a no no on this piece of history.

paintpig
The Slab
The Slab
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 93

Postby paintpig » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:27 am

Mamelukes, besides being chick magnets, are like waving a red flag to a bull on the TT they seem to draw the attention of the opposition :D
regards
Dave

The fig v fig blog: from bayonets to breechloaders
The iNation blog: the hesse-kassoulet kronicles

Wombat
a Shandy
a Shandy
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 99

Postby Wombat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Ha ha ha! Thats true PP! Comon every hates show offs! :D

nevermore
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby nevermore » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Never thought of that, but now thinking about it when ever i game the Italian renaissance period i seem to attack one regiment that has shades of pink, i throw everything at them because thay need a good kicking.....i wonder now if these are chick magnets ?

JasonB
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 0

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Love those big battalions!! Looks great!

Sparker
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Postby Sparker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 am

Yes great looking game!

nevermore wrote:Ok the mamalukes got a good battering but besides that it was a french victory, rules are BP but i feel the rules dont work very well for this period, maybe thats why they are bringing out a BP Napoleonic rules out soon, because they way the french smash through the british lines is a joke and they dont give you a feel of this period, i love the rules but its a no no on this piece of history.

Have to disagree old chap! Just a week ago my mate Troy and I refought an 1809 scenario from 'Thunder on the Danube', with the exact orbats and terrain, using Black Powder, and not only did the end result come out the same, but we both really felt that the rules, with troop stats and command values suitably tweaked for that campaign, worked really well and gave an authentic feel. I flatter myself I have studied 1809 well, but Troy is certainly an expert, and not just becuause of his Hungarian cavalry heritage!

If you accept that the essence of the 1809 AH army was that individual Regiments, for both Infantry and Cavalry, were superb, but let down by poor battle procedure and leadership, then this is easily reflected in the troop stats and leader ratings, to allow the French to run rings around the Kaiserliks, but occasionally run up against stubborn resistance and fierce local counter attacks....

Just my 2 cents...
Kind Regards,

Sparker

'By the grace of God and the kindness of Her Majesty, Lieutenant Royal Navy (Ret'd)'

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com/

nevermore
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby nevermore » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Agree with you on that one with the AH army, but i meant the peninsular war the british just don't seem right, seems to be alot of debate about this topic on the forum and even at our club the lads have stopped a game and packed up .. thing is though with B.P. i always think just tweak here and there and adjust it to how you think it should,pretty sure that in the rule book it explains if you don't feel as if it is not right just change it.
Heres a thing, i'm no expert on the Nap wars but did the french always attack in columns againsted the British in the war and if thats the case then this must be put in the rules that at a certain distance the french must form column and be made to attack on the table because what i read up on it a very high % did this.Just a thought i might be wrong i know only one battle where the British attacked and caught the french off guard.

Sparker
A Schooner
A Schooner
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Postby Sparker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:43 am

Yes you are right of course, its not necessarily that the French were wedded to attacking in column, it was there preferred option against weak resistance but as they grew to respect British and Portuguese firepower they apparently had every intention of deploying into line to attack, but were foiled by British use of ground on a reverse slope so that by the time the French Bn Cdr saw the line it was too late to dedploy effectively...

I don't know if you've read the latest supplement for BP, ' Albion Triumphant' but it seems to cover this very well, although I've not yet wargamed it - having a bash tonight at the Uni club....

Essentially a new special rule allows the British to launch an immeadiate counter attack after having issued closing fire (minus the closing fire +1) so that both sides get the attacking bonus....Should be interesting....
Kind Regards,

Sparker

'By the grace of God and the kindness of Her Majesty, Lieutenant Royal Navy (Ret'd)'

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com/

nevermore
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Postby nevermore » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:11 pm

I think that book should cover the problems, i know a couple of the lads are buying the rules, gonna have a look at them myself...all in all B.P. rules i think is the best for our club and they are fast and you don't get bogged down looking for a rule in the book during the game, pretty simple to pick up, no set of perfect rules but B.P. on the gaming table is pretty near.Thanx for the feedback Spark.

cheers malc the manc

Return to “The Rum Rebellion to Waterloo Room”