Napoleonic scale. and range , of choice...and why?

For discussion of all things Napoleonic.
frostydog
The Jug
The Jug
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by frostydog » Sun May 04, 2008 8:35 pm

Cap't, have to agree on the wow factor of 28mm. I mean those photos from Phil's BON events a few years ago are proof of that.

Cheers

M
"You defy me! How dare you defy me! Your uppance will come".
Cardinal's award for Purity of Expression and Justifiable Pedantry 2nd class

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Mon May 05, 2008 8:24 pm

yep, I love the magnifcience of 28mm on big tables with thousands of figures and awesome terrain

I have only ever twice played with all of my French allied troops, (as it is made up of 1805, 1809 and 1815 troops) totaling about 40 btns (32, 36 and 48 fig btns), five gun batterys (4 guns to a bty) and my 16 sqns of heavy cav (8 figs a sqn) and 21 sqns of lights (6 fig sqns), against Raul Palese and his twin Austrian corps 64 btns (mostly 48s and some hungarian 60 figs), 20 sqns of lights and 12 heavys and countless postn and regt guns, we fought for three days on my 28ft table when i lived in Sydney, using computer moderated rules (iron duke 2) with a umpire so all we had to do was, write the orders and move the troops,

since then the most I have put on a table is a small corps 24 btns plus support mostly at our Napoleonic congress conventions.

Still building my 1805 French Division, 1815 french, Austrians (1805) and Brits 1815 (for something different), over the last five years I have also been slowly replacing all of my old glory, hinchcliffe and minifigs (all gone now ) with elite (french) and front rank (mostly german states), so my Napoleonic collection is still growing.

I plan to have enough troops for both sides so I can start a wargames holiday centre here in Oz too within the next three years, Napoleonics, ancients, 7YW (FIW and AWI included) and ACW will be the main focus all in 28mm.

cheers
matt
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Wed May 07, 2008 7:13 pm

throught you guys might like to see this

We thought we would let you know what's next on our plastic list. Well, it's pretty obvious, isn't it...
French Napoleonic Line Infantry 1812-1815

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Wed May 07, 2008 7:14 pm

The box will contain a 36-man battalion plus a skirmish screen of 6 voltigeurs, and include a command group. So there'll be 42 figures for around the £15.00 GBP mark.

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Wed May 07, 2008 7:15 pm

These are still at an early stage at the moment, so don't hold your breath. We'll let you know the estimated release date when we know!

We thought we'd show you the comparative size of the '3up' greens compared to a metal French.

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Wed May 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Don't worry - we may well return to plastic ACW at some point in the futu

its perries next adventure

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Wed May 07, 2008 9:07 pm

looks good, this will give you another several thousand to paint

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Thu May 08, 2008 8:59 pm

it will indeed cardinal one full battalion and skirmish screen for 15 quid you carnt go wrong

peeler up at a show in scotland this week hes coming back with a load of there plastic acw there not bad at all and you also get flags to go with them

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu May 08, 2008 9:25 pm

good value indeed and bloody good looking figures to boot.

CdM

Post by CdM » Thu May 08, 2008 10:44 pm

I think it was long due that Napoleonics went plastic, and I'm all for it really, as long as they are compatible with Front Rank mind you :O

I've no real interest in purchasing French infantry, but I'd buy cavalry from any nation just to own them for once :) I have this strange fixation with Nap cavalry, and cavalry in general, that I like buying and painting them beyond my needs.

I wish the guys making plastic every success despite the grumpies on other forums who have no happiness in life beyond forum chatter.

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Thu May 08, 2008 10:45 pm

wow, just in time hopefully for my legions of 1815 french
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Fri May 09, 2008 7:10 am

well iv just put a order in for 30 boxes of there plastic acw 36 figs for 12 quid and 4 flags and rules not bothered about the rules but come on that is good value in any ones name

12 cav figs for 12 quid any one wants to complain thats fine i just look at the price and quality

yes there not as good as there metals no plastic will be but there platsics are better than plenty of metals out there

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » Fri May 09, 2008 7:30 am

I am SOOOO grateful that they didn't start out with the early French in bicorn chapeau - it would have doomed me. I can enjoy these from afar though.

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri May 09, 2008 9:41 am

Uriah, only 30 boxes , come on mate you just aren't trying... look forward to seeing some of your big battles,,, what happens whwn you see the plastic Romans and Gauls

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Fri May 09, 2008 9:33 pm

ooh arrgh, they do it for me , in a big way..well some Warmaster 28 armies coming up here..

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Fri May 09, 2008 9:48 pm

Imperial Roman Legionaries boxed set (Code: Pre-IR-1) Imperial Roman Legionaries boxed set (Code: Pre-IR-1)
£17.00

Imperial Roman Century Deal (Code: PRE-IR-4)
£48.00

Might of Rome bundle
£80.97

Imperial Roman Cohort Deal (Code: Pre-IR-2) Imperial Roman Cohort Deal (Code: Pre-IR-2)
£75.00

Imperial Roman Legion Deal (Code: Pre-IR-3)
£150.00

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Fri May 09, 2008 9:50 pm

there the boxed deals for you cardinal

iv got the pics of the metals as well if you wnat them ?

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Sun May 11, 2008 3:04 pm

i did put some pics of of the plastic Romans dident i ?

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun May 11, 2008 7:42 pm

put em in the talkin' minis room..
http://battlescape.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=859
and any pics can't wait to see them...lets star the red /white tunic thread again :D :D :D :D :D

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Mon May 12, 2008 1:10 am

ok cheers cardinal

jscottbowman

Post by jscottbowman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:04 pm

For me an ideal wargames figure is about an inch tall (call it 25mm or 28mm). It is a tangibly "nice" size.
At this size it gives you something with enough detail to make doing a good paintjob worthwhile and the result is rewarding. That combined with the napoleonic era and its plethora of uniform details and glorious banners makes it one of the things that make wargaming great, both visually and "academically". By that I mean if you enjoy the mini history research quest you give yourself just to make sure you get the details just right.

I like the warmaster game with its 10mm minis, but they are a bit of a chore to paint, and its was a welcome relief to go back to painting 28s. (It may be part of the reason I didnt get round to painting a warmaster ancients army!)

Smaller than 10mm you might as well just use tokens or tiddly-winks!

15mm to me almost seems neither one thing nor the other. I have only collected it for FOW.

I am not too keen on figs larger than 28mm. They may be OK for rpgs but seem too big to me for tabletop wargaming. Do make nice figures to paint though!

Theres nothing better than a well terrained table and a host of 25/8mm napoleonic armies lined up. I know sometimes cost is a factor at this scale for some, but seeing as how plastics are coming onto the market, it seems it will make it more accessible to a wider audience (if you don't mind plastic figures)

I am only recently getting into this period but am enjoying it immensely, even if the rules do at times seem a bit confusing or complicated. We are using G de B.

regards
Scott

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:28 pm

try Warmaster in 28mm..Great White zulu. The Phantom agent and I are putting together 28mm 1100 point armies from the 1000-1099 period using all those nice 28mm figurea, on of the best covered periods in our inpression, .Great white Zulu and I are going to a big 1800 point Warmaster game at MOAB, Late Romans Vs Sassanida, we use 60 x 60 bases..

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:49 pm

hi scott i love 28mm as well my fav scale size i dont know if you have looked at the weekend game s wev done but that will give you a idea of what big games look like

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:56 pm

pop in a link Uri..

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:56 pm

thanks cardinal will do