Napoleonic scale. and range , of choice...and why?

For discussion of all things Napoleonic.
Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 97

Post by Bluewillow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:16 pm

nice nothing like a bit of lunacy when it comes to napoleonics 8)
"if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"

http://stormandconquest.blogspot.fr/
http://kampfgruppewillow.blogspot.fr/

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:38 pm

uriah heep wrote:my british guard batts are 54 fig batts have some french guard cavalry reg which have 60 figs they look impressive over all i have about 1000 french cav

all my line batts are 32 except my nassu which are 40 and my scotts which are also 40 fig batts
strewth , that must look impressive all lined up..

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:15 am

if you would like to see more pics of the weekend game i have finally got some more pics of the game but i carnt move them from the scarborough forum to here so if you would like to see a load of pics of the game pleae go to

http://ilovewargameing.21.forumer.com

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:24 am

Thanks for that Kel,
Excellent, the Good Cardinal has joined, wow what a great header , we can't seem to do that sort of thing yest...
guys go and have a look, IMPRESSIVE
Conrad

Mark Phillips

Post by Mark Phillips » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:27 am

Nice to have you on there Cardinal, there'll be pics of our Stockton game up soon, will post a link to it.

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:11 am

thanks cardinel the man to ask is cacardors

im sure if you ask hel explain to you how to do it

hes being over here and i think hes joined so im sure hel help

Captn Ewald

Scale/Size

Post by Captn Ewald » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:40 am

I once took a sharp intake of breath and swallowed a brigade of 10mm figures. Surely size does matter...at least in some things

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:14 pm

it dose and thats why mr phillps is only 10mm but dont tell him i told you so

Mark Phillips

Post by Mark Phillips » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:51 am

Cheeky flipper!! :lol:

Captn Ewald

Scale

Post by Captn Ewald » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:00 am

A few years back I played in a monster campaign over three days, with the battle played out on 5 to 6 tables with map moves by commanders in the evening. Very impressive it was.

We used 28mm figures. If memory serves there was in excess of 40 participants. Now that was a grand battle and scale to fight

frostydog
The Jug
The Jug
Enter a number between 90 and 100: 91

Post by frostydog » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:45 am

Yes, but was it as fun as those mini campaigns you used to run down south in the school library.

I think I can blame those on my hair loss.

M
"You defy me! How dare you defy me! Your uppance will come".
Cardinal's award for Purity of Expression and Justifiable Pedantry 2nd class

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Bluewillow » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:28 pm

A few years back I played in a monster campaign over three days, with the battle played out on 5 to 6 tables with map moves by commanders in the evening. Very impressive it was.

We used 28mm figures. If memory serves there was in excess of 40 participants. Now that was a grand battle and scale to fight
Was that game at Cancon using Elan, if it was I fought on the french right wing, with the Polish corps, I also supplied two heavy divisions of cav and a light division.

cheers
Matt

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:47 pm

id have loved to have seen that

biggest game iv ever played in was a fantasy game the club did to raise money for children in need charity played 7 days none stop we had 25,000 figs on the table and we set 4 world reconds that have never been beaten

Captn Ewald

Elan & Library games

Post by Captn Ewald » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:10 am

Twas one in the same Matt. I was a corps commander on that day and we crushed the russians in the bend of the river...they took 10,000 casualties to our 1,000 and we captured their grand battery...ah memories...

We provided most of the tin in our corps which contained from memory 34 battalions of foot and two brigades of light cavalry.I remember your tin Bluewillow, very nicely painted if I can recall

Yeah those games in the library were great frosty dog...nothing like a game with map movement for having fun.

starkadder

Minifigs

Post by starkadder » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:52 am

I once had a superb camapign dressed minfig French army, and I wish I had pics of it..[/quote]

I know where they are, Kendo.

Bring a daguerrotype device or the Corsican gets it.

greatwhitezulu
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Re: Elan & Library games

Post by greatwhitezulu » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:01 pm

[quote="Captn Ewald"] I was a corps commander on that day and we crushed the russians in the bend of the river...they took 10,000 casualties to our 1,000 and we captured their grand battery...ah memories...

Could this be the same erstwhile French commander who, in the AWI campaign run by Prinz, left his valiant American ally (me!) to storm the British redoubt single handed and then to view his French allies withdraw without a shot?

Many a night General Sullivan has dreamt of revenge!!!!! :)

Cardinal Biggles

Re: Minifigs

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:04 pm

starkadder wrote:I once had a superb camapign dressed minfig French army, and I wish I had pics of it..
I know where they are, Kendo.

Bring a daguerrotype device or the Corsican gets it.[/quote]
Actually I remeber now , they are in yoyr cabinet...yes will have to bring camera and tripod, pity somebody stole around 50 of them, but that was a long time ago.

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:29 pm

the twats you know cardinal wev had stuff nicked at shows peeler had a full box of new never used hand made treess about 50 of them

they went with in a hour

theres some real twats out there at times

iv had figs and sceenery nicked i had alot of my brunswicks nicked a couple of years ago at a show

CdM

Post by CdM » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:53 pm

I have a fair collection of Front Rank Austrians and a small force of Bavarians and Russians. I am patiently waiting for them to release more promised medievals before I complete the Bavarian artillery in the same order. Most of the artillery pieces are Elite sold by a very nice persion whom I now forget who used to live up north Qld. I started with some Elite figures but they were just not what I wanted to keep alongside the FR so they were slowly replaced.

Most of the Austrians appeared in the Elan game which may be referred to earlier, else it was another Elan game where the Russians also got mauled.

I have picked up very small numbers of Brits I keep teasing myself will be used as battalions stationed in Australia at the time. I would also like to get some Saxon cavalry but only if FR does them. That would then more than see me complete in my Nap intrests.

I have about 1000 French made by an Adelaide sculptor in the 80's but I never did get far with them and they remain a huge pile of lead I will never complete.

I picked and stuck with FR as they are perfect to my style, taste and budget and also I like their medievals. In retrospect if they were available in my teens I would never have got far into fantasy at all.

uriah heep

Post by uriah heep » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:14 pm

well done cdm

i used to have fr but they were to chunky for me nice figs but not quiet me

Captn Ewald

The Prinz AWI Campaign

Post by Captn Ewald » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:15 pm

Could this be the same erstwhile French commander who, in the AWI campaign run by Prinz, left his valiant American ally (me!) to storm the British redoubt single handed and then to view his French allies withdraw without a shot?

You realise of course Messr Sullivan that the d'estange family never forgave the americans for the harsh treament which the comte received in that war. His ancestor, the french president named val...hated the yanks with a passion.

I remember the day or was it night as well. The Prinz did not give the comte the french siege train (never trust a Prussian either for that matter!)...but he gave the yanks siege guns to defend their works.

Be happy that the frogs entered the field at all General Sullivan...I nearly embarked the fleet for france when I saw what the Prinz served up for a battlefield!

Bluewillow
Master Brewer
Master Brewer

Post by Bluewillow » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Most of the artillery pieces are Elite sold by a very nice persion whom I now forget who used to live up north Qld.
Nathan is still around all of my 1805 French are elite, he has just relased the 1806 prussians which I would love to buy at some stage.

cheers
matt

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » Sat May 03, 2008 6:50 am

I am a confirmed 30mm (or large 28s if you must - but lets call them what they really are) player no matter what the period. I can see them and they look superior to the little guys. I've been corrupted by two visits to the Wargame Holiday Centre in the UK during the early 1990s and now the smaller figures no longer appeal to me.

I suppose that if my interest was in refighting specific Napoleonic battles, then I would consider the 10mm figures and then field 100+ figure battalions in that scale.

That said, I recently sold off all of my 28/30mm Napoleonics and I am starting all over, doing the 1806 campaign at 1 to 10, using Elite Miniatures figures. It will look splendid if I ever paint enough to actually game with. :oops:

Cardinal Biggles

Post by Cardinal Biggles » Sat May 03, 2008 9:24 am

Fritz, you are a painting machine by most people's standards and your stuff is so good, though you do have a long way to go to catch up to the lads from Scarborough, eh Uriah? :D :D :D

Captn Ewald

Size and scale

Post by Captn Ewald » Sat May 03, 2008 11:31 pm

28mm of course. A few thousand figures spread over five or six ping pong tables with decent terrain and well...it takes ones breath away. The short stuff looks nice but well...in the end...its just short stuff!